Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Cinema Smooth has been turned on.

However, there is a lot of controversy about it. Many people see a bad
motion effect with it turned on in 3D. I see it -- somewhat -- but not to
the point where it becomes nauseating (as others are reporting).

If I put in a disc such as DESPICABLE ME (1 or 2) or UNDER THE SEA,
the pop-out is extraordinary. So, there isn't anything wrong with the
display's ability to produce pop-out effectively.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Hey Ron, i recommend Rise Of The Guardians and Puss In Boots, both are good 3D and the latter movie in particular is fun.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Malcolm,

I do have to get these titles. I am not on DreamWorks/Paramount screener list.
I will make certain I am moving forward.

Most of the titles on my list are those the studios sent me to specifically review.

Some of the titles I had to pay for out of pocket, which I am happy to do when
there is something noteworthy to be had.

One title I paid for out of pocket when it went on sale was The Adventures of TinTin.
That is an exceptional 3D title and I should place it in the list of Honorable Mentions.

The thing I remember most about TinTin is how "classy" or "refined" the 3D looked.
That was an exceptionally animated film and the 3D really complimented it.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Ronald Epstein said:
Malcolm,

I do have to get these titles. I am not on DreamWorks/Paramount screener list.
I will make certain I am moving forward.
DreamWorks Animation now has a three-year deal with Fox to distribute their films theatrically and on home video. The last two DreamWorks titles The Croods and Turbo were only provided to me in 2D versions to review. I wish you better luck in wrangling 3D review copies out of them.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I forgot that Fox is now handling their titles rather than Paramount.

And with that understanding, I can tell you from experience alongside Mr. Hough,
that it has been impossible for anyone to get advance 3D screeners from that studio.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Is Fox still upset with HTF for taking pictures many years ago at their site or was that another studio?

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Is Fox still upset with HTF for taking pictures many years ago at their site or was that another studio?
That was DreamWorks.

We tried to get our members back on their lot for our meet a few years ago.

DreamWorks declined, citing we took pictures of their campus, against their wishes,
and posted it online.

This is partially true as we were given permission to do so by the people that were
running the Home Entertainment division at the time (but are no longer there).

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Bought Gravity, fantastic 3D, a worthy no.1 on Ron's list. There are even some 'pop out' moments for those who like that sort of thing.

It's my 111th 3D Blu-ray purchase since I bought an LG 3D TV in September 2012. I opted for passive 'batteries free' 3D glasses after reading about flicker problems and a darker picture on active 3D TVs.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Adam Gregorich said:
Wow, 111 3D titles!
I know it's crazy, bought too many last year. When some titles seemed to go OOP here in the UK I panicked and went on a spending spree. There are many I haven't watched in 3D yet and a couple I don't even remember buying, Yogi Bear? Flying Swords of Dragon Gate? From what I can see there are only about a dozen 3D movies in the shops that I want to add to the collection, not counting upcoming new movies.

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
Ron,
I recently purchased the 3D Flying Swords of Dragon Gate, directed by Tsui Hark and was thoroughly impressed by Hark's use of depth, spectacle and WOW effects.
Then I read that Hark had also directed another 3D movie: Young Detective Dee: Rise of the Sea Dragon. Unfortunately, this BD was only released flat in the USA (and to be avoided), so I purchased the 3D import. It is breathtaking! Worth the extra money. Hark can certainly teach a lot of directors how to use 3D to its full effect: depth and WOW pop-outs.
Even my wife was impressed by both films, and we had just attended the 3D Expo in L.A. last year, so we know what great, classic 3D should look like.
These two titles are definitely worth checking out.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
Yogi Bear is a film made better by being filmed in native 3D. I wouldn't have had much interest in it in 2D, but I had a good time with it in 3D.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
bujaki said:
Ron,
I recently purchased the 3D Flying Swords of Dragon Gate, directed by Tsui Hark and was thoroughly impressed by Hark's use of depth, spectacle and WOW effects.
Then I read that Hark had also directed another 3D movie: Young Detective Dee: Rise of the Sea Dragon. Unfortunately, this BD was only released flat in the USA (and to be avoided), so I purchased the 3D import. It is breathtaking! Worth the extra money. Hark can certainly teach a lot of directors how to use 3D to its full effect: depth and WOW pop-outs.
Even my wife was impressed by both films, and we had just attended the 3D Expo in L.A. last year, so we know what great, classic 3D should look like.
These two titles are definitely worth checking out.
I have been going on about Flying Swords for a while now, i think Hark made impressive use of the format, i didn't know about the other film though so may pick it up at a later date, it sounds like a prequel to Detective Dee: Mystery of the Phantom Flame.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Do me a favor as it's early morning and I am finishing here to get
ready for work...

Post links to Amazon sources for these imports. I'll look at the price
and consider.

Thanks

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
@Ron,
http://www.amazon.com/Flying-Swords-Dragon-Gate-Blu-ray/dp/B008IG0E3Q/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1394087028&sr=1-1&keywords=flying+swords+of+dragon+gate+3d

http://www.amazon.com/Young-Detective-Dee-Blu-Ray-subtitled/dp/B00H1XENYS/ref=sr_1_2?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1394087112&sr=1-2&keywords=young+detective+dee+rise+of+the+sea+dragon+3d

Unfortunately, Ron, this is the Young Detective Dee I purchased and Amazon has it as currently unavailable, but the price asked by the third party sellers is just about what I paid for it. I paid $38.83 @ DVDPlanet. Steep price, but worth it. The WOW factor is not used just for show, but quite organically, and very impressive.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation921
Recent bookmarks