What's new

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I think that's just a DVD, the sequel to this film is out very soon in the UK, its been censored for mild bad language in order to get a U certificate. ( the sequel not the original )

Can't delete post, i see you have put the blu ray link in now. Moderators please delete this post if you read it.
fxrh said:

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Just updated the list for the Top 23 titles though I am still doing some formatting tweaks.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
My family and I watched Wreck It Ralph 3D recently and I cannot believe how much we disagree with Ron's assessment of the 3D. I'm not arguing against Ron's choice, more commenting on how differently we rate it. We watched it projected by a Sony 95ES 10' wide from 11' back. Personally I find the 3D to just exist (yep it is in 3D), does nothing to enhance the movie, and wouldn't even have it on the Top 23, let alone #1. On top of that, everything in the movie is shoved so far back causing the disparity between the left and right images to be very large and much is very high contrast so unless you have a zero crosstalk display like DLP, you are going to see crosstalk and a distracting amount of it. No other title I have shows this much crosstalk on my Sony 95ES projector, which is quite good at reducing crosstalk for a non-DLP device. Most movies I never notice crosstalk or only notice it here and there for a second or two.

Now lest you think we don't like it because there are no pop-outs, our favorite live-action 3D movie is Tron Legacy (would be in our Top 23) and that has almost zero pop out but we find the movie to be greatly enhanced by the 3D. So many good tracking shots where 3D is used to show immense size and depth. Simiar type shots in Wreck It Ralph are just in 3D, not enhanced by it. I realize this may not make any sense but that is how we see and feel about them.

We normally agree with Ron's assessments nearly 100% but it is odd that this movie is so vastly different and quite an anomaly. We all really like the movie but when we watch it again it will likely be in 2D.

I look forward to any other additions / enhancements to the Top XX list to help guide my 3D purchases.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Hey Chuck!

I take no offense at disagreeing with my choice. I realize that everyone who watches one of these titles is going to have a somewhat different experience with it than I. There has been plenty of disagreement in this thread with choices I have made or titles I have omitted. Appreciate your feedback, even if it isn't agreeable.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
I don't have 3D equipment, but I have 2 of those titles already. Hugo and Titantic. Many are on my list, like the Toy Stories. I'll wishlist a few of those later.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Radioman,
What exactly are you disagreeing with?

I ask this because you don't even have the 3D equipment to view these yourself in the home (which can be quite different than the theatrical experience)

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Ronald Epstein said:
Looks like it is less than $21 on Amazon.

I will keep it in mind.

Right now I have some catching up to do. Watched LIFE OF PI and though I thought the movie was a little slow, the visuals were quite good. It will make the Top 22 list. Need to watch THE HOBBIT in 3D, but with all the migration work ahead, that will take some time. So, the list is on hold for the moment until I have the opportunity to watch some films.

I will probably pick up Flying Swords of Dragon Gate
I bought the used one for about $10 including shipping. Too bad the English track is not 5.1. I'll have to see what its like watching subtitles in 3-D.

Chuck Anstey said:
My family and I watched Wreck It Ralph 3D recently and I cannot believe how much we disagree with Ron's assessment of the 3D. I'm not arguing against Ron's choice, more commenting on how differently we rate it. We watched it projected by a Sony 95ES 10' wide from 11' back. Personally I find the 3D to just exist (yep it is in 3D), does nothing to enhance the movie, and wouldn't even have it on the Top 23, let alone #1. On top of that, everything in the movie is shoved so far back causing the disparity between the left and right images to be very large and much is very high contrast so unless you have a zero crosstalk display like DLP, you are going to see crosstalk and a distracting amount of it. No other title I have shows this much crosstalk on my Sony 95ES projector, which is quite good at reducing crosstalk for a non-DLP device. Most movies I never notice crosstalk or only notice it here and there for a second or two.

Now lest you think we don't like it because there are no pop-outs, our favorite live-action 3D movie is Tron Legacy (would be in our Top 23) and that has almost zero pop out but we find the movie to be greatly enhanced by the 3D. So many good tracking shots where 3D is used to show immense size and depth. Simiar type shots in Wreck It Ralph are just in 3D, not enhanced by it. I realize this may not make any sense but that is how we see and feel about them.

We normally agree with Ron's assessments nearly 100% but it is odd that this movie is so vastly different and quite an anomaly. We all really like the movie but when we watch it again it will likely be in 2D.

I look forward to any other additions / enhancements to the Top XX list to help guide my 3D purchases.

The Amazon $33.85 price was too much so I bought it on eBay for $16 including shipping. I'm only getting the Blu-ray 3D disc and the lenticular 3D cover, but there's not much in extras on the other disc and I am getting the award winning 3D short.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
That one also looks to be anaglyph, as it "comes with 3D glasses." On the amazon.ca listing, I realised after the fact that it wasn't 3D, which is a shame.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
To give some sense of my perspective, Madagascar 3 would be my #1 by a bit, although I have not seen every movie in the Top 23. That movie seemed to approach their image from the perspective "How can we enhance the visual part of the movie with 3D?" rather than the more common "Wouldn't this be cool in 3D?" Plus it uses the full range from all the way out to all the way in. There isn't the usual false "dead zone" of looking out a window between the viewer and the screen. Objects that should be in your face because they are exceptionally close are in your face and objects and backgrounds that are far away appear to be very far away.

I am sure some of the ratings come from the size of the display and the distance of the viewer. I would love to do a test where some folks got together and watch a few highly rated but with significant dissent movies/scenes on a TV display of decent size and then immediately rewatched on a HT sized projected screen to see if the ratings changed and exactly how they changed.

fxrh

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Sam Calvin
Chuck Anstey said:
To give some sense of my perspective, Madagascar 3 would be my #1 by a bit...
I emphatically agree with you. I've seen around 60 3D Blu rays and this one is my favorite with respect to 3D. I also find it very entertaining. And it has a lot of heart. I've lost count of how many times I've watched it.

Radioman970

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
James Perry
Ronald Epstein said:
Radioman,
What exactly are you disagreeing with?

I ask this because you don't even have the 3D equipment to view these yourself in the home (which can be quite different than the theatrical experience)
I've seen about 10 minutes of Hugo on my folks 3D equipment after we got back from The Hobbit in IMAX 3D. Certainly I'm a pro at this right now. :p

Actually, someone on page one was totally slamming 3D and I was disagreeing with them. Oops! I didn't notice this thread had so many pages. I edited as quick as I could you're too fast.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
"How can we enhance the visual part of the movie with 3D?" rather than the more common "Wouldn't this be cool in 3D?"
Chuck, that is the way I approached Wreck-It Ralph. It's not nearly the best of the WOW type of 3D fare, but it perfectly enhances the film's story.

Ultimately, it's going to be knocked down by future 3D releases.

Madagascar 3 is a fantastic 3D film. And it is listed in my Top 5.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
Ronald Epstein said:
Chuck, that is the way I approached Wreck-It Ralph. It's not nearly the best of the WOW type of 3D fare, but it perfectly enhances the film's story.
I guess that is where we strongly disagree. To me and my family Wreck It Ralph's 3D was nothing more than "put in a second camera for the 3D effect and play it perfectly safe". Nothing in the visuals made me think that they were trying to make a 3D movie and simply being in 3D is generally not enough. I think a strong part of that is that Wreck It Ralph is a slower paced talkie movie. There is very little action, activity, or great visuals to be enhanced by 3D unless they went way out of their way to showcase 3D, which IMO they did not even a little, and hence our view that "the 3D just exists". A comparison would be if The Big Chill was shot in B&W vs Color. Shooting in color doesn't really enhance such a movie, it just is in color. Contrast that with what John Ford might have done if Fort Apache was shot in color. Lots of opportunity to use color and showcase the color of Monument Valley that other films shot in color did do.

But hey, that is just impression and in the eye of the beholder. We think that Tron Legacy is greatly enhanced by the 3D and you did not. No big deal.

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
Just watched Wreck it Ralph on Blu-ray 3D for the first time. I enjoyed the 3D and agree with Ron that "it perfectly enhances the film's story". There are a number of pop-outs but they are only there for a few seconds. As far as crosstalk/ghosting I saw very little. I'm watching it on a Panasonic PTAE8000 front projector and an image 11.5 feet wide.

Todd J Moore

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Todd Moore
I'm kind surprised to note that the double feature of SPY KIDS 3-D: GAME OVER and THE ADVENTURES OF SHARKBOY AND LAVA GIRL are not on this list. For pure pop-out effect, SPY KIDS 3-D has to rank up there. The film is basically COMIN' AT YA! for kids, with a near non-stop barrage of gimmick shots. And now we get to see them the way they should have looked as opposed to the original lousy anaglyph version that played in theaters and the original blu ray release. No idea about SHARKBOY AND LAVA GIRL, however. I still haven't watched it.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Just watched Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs last night, and am surprised that it isn't on the list somewhere. It's a fantastic use of 3D, with no detectable crosstalk or ghosting.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I thought SPY KIDS 3 had a fair amount of ghosting if I'm remembering correctly (I watched it several weeks ago). I enjoyed the pop-outs, and I agree it's a million times more effective than the anaglyph version released on DVD previously.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Just watched Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs last night, and am surprised that it isn't on the list somewhere.
Stephen,

Actually, it was. The list was originally something like the top 14 titles.
Cloudy with Meatballs was one of the earliest (if not among first) home
3D releases. With all the titles I have added over the past 2 years, that
one just got shoved down to the bottom and then eventually it was omitted.
should expand the list and put it back on. It is one of the better 3D titles out there.

Give me a little time to get it back up there.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks