What's new

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Originally Posted by Johnny Angell
In addition to high prices, it seems there are many movies in 3D that don't decline in price. AVM for instance. You could almost call it a catalogue release now.
I have a theory for the high prices. A customer in BB or the like buys a 3D set and wants to go home with a couple of 3D movies, so he pays the exorbitant pricing. It would be interesting to know what % of 3D software sales this amounts too. I have no data to back this up, just a thought.
AVM. ?

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
I too try to never pay more the $20 for a 3D movie so the key is patience and also be willing to never buy a specific title. I have been waiting for Despicable Me 3D to be $20 and I'm still waiting. Best Buy did have a false sale for it recently for $20 plus it was during upgrade and save but alas they only had one copy of the movie in the entire Southeast if not the whole country and they couldn't order it. There are some 3D blus that never seem to go below $30 anywhere no matter how long they have been available. The cheapest I have ever paid for a new (as opposed to used) 3D full-length movie without coupon or trade-in was $12 for Drive Angry from Amazon.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
That $20 is my goal too. There have been exceptions, 2-3 I think. I paid a net of $21 or $22 for Monsters (got in on the coupon).

RolandL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Roland Lataille
You can also check eBay. If you don't care about the 2D version or extras you can get just the 3D disc for less than $20, sometimes less than $10. I did this for a few titles that had very little extras and I don't care about the 2D disc.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
RolandL said:
You can also check eBay. If you don't care about the 2D version or extras you can get just the 3D disc for less than $20, sometimes less than $10. I did this for a few titles that had very little extras and I don't care about the 2D disc.
Hadn't thought of that especially when I already have the 2D version from before I had 3D. Last night I ordered Despicable Me 3D used for $16.60. It is supposed to be the Region Free version so I'll see in a few days.

pitchman

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gary
With perhaps 2-3 exceptions, I've picked up all of my 3D Blu-rays at Best Buy for $20 each or less. For the better part of the past year, they routinely have 25-30 titles on sale every week. They may not be listed in their flyer, but you can always find them on their website. Here's this week's updated sale list (2/24/2013): http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olstemplatemapper.jsp?_dyncharset=ISO-8859-1&_dynSessConf=-7950436958341066435&id=pcat17080&type=page&lcn=Movies+%26+TV+Shows&sc=movieSP&st=processingtime%3A%3E1900-01-01&usc=cat02015&cp=1&sp=-bestsellingsort+skuid&nrp=35&qp=ccat02015%23%23-1%23%23-1%7E%7Eq70726f63657373696e6774696d653a3e313930302d30312d3031%7E%7Ef535%7C%7C426c752d726179203344%7E%7Enf383%7C%7C4f6e2053616c65&add_to_pkg=false&pagetype=listing&gf=y Even if the store price is different, I've never had a bit of trouble getting a price match with the website. During BB's semi-frequent "upgrade and save" events, this becomes an even better deal if you have an old DVD to trade in, you can get an extra $5 off the sale price. If you have patience, you can catch nearly every desirable title on sale for $19.99 or less at one point or another. The list is updated every Sunday. You won't see a dramatic change from week to week (perhaps 2-5 new discs), but every month or so, there has been a big change. The last major change before the current one, was a sale on lots of Disney/Pixar 3D titles for $19.99. This is in no way meant to be a plug for Best Buy. Truth be told, I'm not a fan. But, if you're looking for an economical way to build your 3D Blu-ray library, I think their weekly sale list is worth a look-see. You can always price match with the store of your choice.

Chuck Anstey

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chuck Anstey
pitchman said:
With perhaps 2-3 exceptions, I've picked up all of my 3D Blu-rays at Best Buy for $20 each or less. For the better part of the past year, they routinely have 25-30 titles on sale every week. They may not be listed in their flyer, but you can always find them on their website. This is in no way meant to be a plug for Best Buy. Truth be told, I'm not a fan. But, if you're looking for an economical way to build your 3D Blu-ray library, I think their weekly sale list is worth a look-see. You can always price match with the store of your choice. 
Sure, I have also expanded my 3D collection with $20 or less titles from BB especially during their very big sale before Xmas 2012 but "BB has 20 3D movies for

Charles Smith

Extremely Talented Member
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Charles Smith
Costco has a few of the 3D IMAX titles for $17.99 right now, though that's not as low as they've had them in the past. I'm pretty sure they were $14.99 at one point last year.

FoxyMulder

映画ファン
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I recommend Flying Swords Of Dragon Gate from the UK, it's cheap on Amazon and it has some of the best live action 3D i have seen, lots of depth and pop out, it has a dubbed 2 channel soundtrack or the original language surround track, unfortunately trying to read subtitles while watching a 3D film is difficult so some might prefer the option of the 2 channel dub which is not so bad as some dub jobs, i always prefer original soundtrack.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I recommend Flying Swords Of Dragon Gate from the UK, it's cheap on Amazon and it has some of the best live action 3D i have seen...
Looks like it is less than $21 on Amazon.

I will keep it in mind.

Right now I have some catching up to do. Watched LIFE OF PI and though I thought the movie was a little slow, the visuals were quite good. It will make the Top 22 list. Need to watch THE HOBBIT in 3D, but with all the migration work ahead, that will take some time. So, the list is on hold for the moment until I have the opportunity to watch some films.

I will probably pick up Flying Swords of Dragon Gate

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Started buying 3D movies in november last year and I've already collected 62 of them. Yes I'm a fan. :)

Some are very good like Hugo and How to Train Your Dragon, some are pretty bad like Clash of the Titans and some were just barely 3D - I, Robot.

Looking at Ron's Top 22 there are seven 3D titles on there I haven't seen yet. Unless I'm wrong there are only about 110-120 3D feature films released on Blu-ray so far? Not counting documentaries.

I'd love to see more classic 1950's 3D films released such as The Maze and It Came from Outer Space. And some modern ones like Flesh for Frankenstein and SpaceHunter.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks