What's new

HTF REVIEW: "Y tu mamá también" (unrated) (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
unfortunately, hollywood video only had the edited version. i'm assuming it was some of the sexual scenes that were omitted, but can anyone confirm?

Bruce Hedtke

Senior HTF Member
Ted,

I only watched the unrated version, but I can guess that the pool masturbation
scene would have been edited out. Or, maybe not, but I would find it suprising if that was left in the R rated version.

Bruce

Ted Lee

Senior HTF Member
hi bruce -
could be. they did show that scene, but i have no clue if it was toned down or anything. they showed a chest-high shot, then a long-shot from above. nothing too graphic...thank gawd. ;)

Adam_WM

Screenwriter
Real Name
Adam Moreau
I gotta say, I usually like "critically acclaimed" stuff but I have to say, this one was just.... uh... too foreign for me. The story was fine and all, but it was just too damn frank for me. You could see that this movie had no roots in Hollywood. It was kind of funny to see the homosexual overtones of the friends that littered the movie. I don't know about you guys, but I've never even considered masturbating anywhere in the vicinity of my male friends
. Kind of creepy if you ask me. Not a bad movie, but it won't be finding its way onto my shelf.

DavidY

Supporting Actor
Does anyone know if the Canadian Version contains any of the extras? I was in Futureshop today and the back of the dvd didn't list any special features...plus it said the audio was spanish 2.0!
The Canadian version is distributed by Alliance Atlantis....which has been butchered...no extras to my knowledge. I will be getting the MGM unrated version instead....this includes:

"Me La Debes" Short Film by Carlos Cuaron
Deleted Scenes
Making-Of Featurette
Audio Commentary with the Cast
TV Spot
Original Theatrical Trailer

Dave

Mark Bendiksen

Screenwriter
but I've never even considered...[spoiler deleted]
. Kind of creepy if you ask me.
LOL...I had a similar reaction. I think that scene (and a few others) are supposed to make you feel a little off-balance and uncomfortable. However, that scene, and one towards the end (you know which one I mean when you see it) seemed to stretch credibility just a bit. Not because two guys wouldn't do that, but just because I didn't necessarily believe THOSE two guys would do that. Maybe I just didn't have a complete understanding of the characters, though.

All in all, I'm still not sure how I feel about the film. I am still thinking about it several days later, which is more than I can say about nearly all of the flicks out of Hollywood these days. Definitely top-notch performances from the entire cast.

BarryS

Second Unit
I loved this movie! I'd call it one of the year's best. Highly recommended! This movie makes you realize just how phony movies like Van Wilder, Road Trip and American Pie are. Y Tu Mama Tambien is the real deal.

This was shot on a handheld?
I thought it was pretty obvious. The camera is always moving in some scenes.

PerryD

Supporting Actor
I rented the Unrated version at my local Blockbuster (yes, I was surprised considering they were stocking the P&S Insomnia only).

My problem: The English subtitle track during the movie played incorrectly on my Toshiba 5109 progressive DVD player. The subtitles would flash for an instant, about a second late, too fast to be able to read them. The only other problem similar I've had before with this player was also a subtitle problem with Spy Game with the subtitles turning off during the movie.

I ended up watching the movie on my older Sony 7000 player. Really enjoyed the movie.

David Tolsky

Supporting Actor
I have this on order and can't wait to see it. Lubeski has shot some of the most beautiful films to be released, including A Little Princess, which, if you haven't seen it, needs to be viewed for the cinematography alone.

JosephMoore

Stunt Coordinator
I rented this movie over the weekend based on the strong reviews here. I have to say that I don't see what all of the hype is about, and I didn't find it one bit erotic. All I kept thinking about was the running gag on Seinfeld about "Rochele, Rochele: A Young Girls Erotic Journey from Milan to Minsk" ;)
A rambling story of two privledged brats, punctuated with brief "spurts" of awkward screen f***ing. Nothing about how the dialogue unravels makes it even slightly believable that this woman would be even remotely interested in these two Cheech and Chong wannabes.
IMHO, doesn't hold a candle to the "other" Spanish language passion flick, "Like Water for Chocolate."
I made sure to return it on time so I wouldn't have to be as embarrased as when George lost "Rochele, Rochele." ;)

Miles

Second Unit
Can any Canadians list what was hacked off in the Alliance version? Was it the extras only? Or, did they mess with the audio/video of the film as well?

Thanks,

Miles

Andrew s wells

Second Unit
Just curious. How are the scenes (havent seen this movie yet) any more raw that what hollywood has/could make. While not x-rated of course i heard unfaithful pushed the "love scenes" pretty much to the limit as to what could be shown. so how would this movie as far as that is concerned be any different?

Mark Palermo

Second Unit
A rambling story of two privledged brats, punctuated with brief "spurts" of awkward screen f***ing. Nothing about how the dialogue unravels makes it even slightly believable that this woman would be even remotely interested in these two Cheech and Chong wannabes.
Amen, brutha! :)

Michael Ballack

Second Unit
This film is more graphic sexually then Unfaithful. Although Unfaithful has a bigger star(Diane Lane) in the sex scenes. Unfaithful had a lot of closeups of shots compared to Y tu mama tambien having more wideshots of the sex. I hope that helps.

Ryan Peter

Screenwriter
I don't consider this an erotic movie at all until maybe the final scene. Not sure where that even comes from. Who is making it out to be erotic? It's more of a comic road movie with some sex thrown than some sexy erotic film.

You missed a lot of nuances in the film, that's a shame.

I liked it quite a bit more than Como Agua Para Chocolate.

Martin Jeeves

Supporting Actor
In my opinion this was also one of my favourite films of the past year. A GREAT movie only bettered by "Unfaithful", and "Insomnia" IMHO.

I would say that "Unfaithful" is slightly more "stylized" but the sex scenes in both are quite graphic (Diane Lane is only shown naked in small but well done teases really). Both movies should be Oscar nominated in my opinion - they are THAT GOOD!

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
Hard to believe anyone could so misunderstand a simple little film like this, much less squeeze a big smelly threadfart out of the very same incomprehension. Hard to know where to begin and doubt it's even worth responding to, but the fact that these are not two privileged brats, but rather one entirely privileged brat and one entirely unprivileged brat is a primary backdrop for the story that plays out. That you missed this simplest and most significant of points is not surprising. That you'd broadcast it here, however, is.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hemolens
Recent bookmarks