What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Without a Paddle (1 Viewer)

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter

Without a Paddle

Studio: Paramount

Year: 2004

Rated: PG-13

Length: 98 Minutes

Aspect Ratio: 2.35:1

Audio: English Digital 5.1, English, French 2.0, two commentary tracks

Subtitles: English, Spanish, French

Closed Captioned

Special Features: Director Commentary, Video Commentary, 1 Featurette, Deleted Scenes, Interstitials, Trailer

M.A.P. $19.95

Release Date: January 11, 2005

The fact that the best thing I can say about Without a Paddle is that it isn’t as bad as I was bracing for is rather telling in and of itself.

The film stars Seth Green, Matthew Lillard and Dax Shepard as three friends who get together after the funeral of a friend and take on a childhood adventure - the search for D.B. Cooper’s stash - that the dead friend had seemed somewhat obsessed with in life. The three are equally inexperienced at the backwoods life, and take off unprepared for the realities they will face. If that weren’t bad enough, they face a hick sheriff, a bear with maternal instincts, and a couple of backwoods pot farmers - not to mention some hippy, tree-hugging girls.

Without a Paddle takes a comedic turn on the granddaddy of the camping - adventure film, Deliverance - taking with it considerable homophobic baggage and attempting to use it for humor. Adding in a judicious amount of bathroom humor, drug humor, and tons of references from the 80’s, you get a film that aims to be nostalgic for the thirty-something viewer, but has the underdeveloped humor one would associate with a teenager. The film is complete with an extended cameo by Burt Reynolds - a nod to the film’s more serious heritage.

The biggest problem with the film is that it doesn’t seem to choose an audience. Those who would most likely appreciate the juvenile humor won’t get the nostalgic references - and those who understand the references may be put off by the humor. It’s an odd coming-of-age film without the traditional payoff - the characters don’t gain wisdom from their experience. Perhaps that’s so there remains room for a sequel. That’s one creek I’d prefer not to revisit - paddle or not.

The film isn’t as bad as I expected - but it is ultimately forgettable.

The Transfer
The video is presented in anamorphic 2.35:1. The picture is sharp and detailed, with virtually no grain. Colors are lush and beautifully saturated. Contrast is excellent, with good detail in the shadows and perfect highlights. The print is free if any distracting dust or scratches. This is a very good transfer of very clean source elements.

The audio is brought to you in Dolby Digital 5.1. The front soundstage is expansive, featuring excellent frequency response and channel separation. Dialog sounds crisp, clean and natural. Music and effects are very effective across the three front channels. LFE is impressive, on occasion - especially in the raging rapids sequence. The surrounds, however, are a bit of a disappointment. They do provide a consistent, subtle ambience, but where you would expect them to stand out, they don’t. Not a bad mix, but a missed opportunity in some of the action sequences.

Special Features

Director Commentary

Director Steven Brill gives a good, informative and scene-specific commentary. Some of the more interesting points are delivered during the river rapids sequence. Brill also talks about some films that influenced this one. This is definitely worth a listen, if you’re a fan of the film.

Video Commentary by the cast and director
This “video commentary” is mostly an audio only commentary. A picture-in-picture appears occasionally, showing the participants together in the studio. While it is an interesting approach, there are extremely long stretches without any video - though the audio portion of the commentary is continuous. This commentary is most valuable for the interplay of the participants, who are all funny and seem to enjoy the process.

MTV’s Making the Movie: Without a Paddle (18:10)
A typical presentation from MTV. The stars talk about the film and their roles, and director Steven Brill talks about bringing the cast together. Other topics include working the rapids, working with the bear, etc... This is more a promotional piece than an in depth “making of” featurette.

13 Additional Scenes are available, totaling an impressive 24 minutes. They can be played with or without a director commentary. There is a “Play All” feature. In the commentary, director Brill describes the reasons why scenes were cut - usually to help move the story along and improve pacing.

MTV Interstitials
6 interstitials with a “Play All” feature, totaling 2:43.

Theatrical Trailer

Previews

These are, unfortunately, forced trailers. You must skip each one using the chapter skip button (six times) before you can see the forced, unskippable disclaimer, followed by the menu. Why can’t we just get to the menu, please? The previews are also available via the Special Features menu,

Final Thoughts
Most of the actors in this film were working below their potential. This is a film that, with a little script doctoring, could have been an enjoyable farce. As it stands, you have to have an appreciation for lowbrow humor and 80’s nostalgia in order to have any appreciation for it - and even then, it’s a far cry from a great ride.

The transfer is commendable, and there are some special features that, assuming you can stomach the film in the first place, would be of interest to fans.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, Scott!

I was going to pick this one up, but was looking for the HTF review first. I think I'll pass.

Josh Sieg

Second Unit
I never thought thie movie looked good. But it might be worth a rental. Thanks for the review!

WilliamG

Supporting Actor
I saw this movie at the theater with a friend, at the urging of my wife and daughter. And, yes, I even described the experience pre-screening as being dragged kicking and screaming. But you know, I actually enjoyed this one. It's not at all like I thought it was going to be - a dumber-than-dirt stoopid-fest with three guys high-as-a-kite all the time. (Well, OK- maybe the 'stoopid-fest' part applies!)
Yes, at times it pulled from Deliverance. And it did have some really idiotic moments. At one point I just knew that Ashton Kutcher was going to show up and ask "Dude, where's my car?!!" But I thought somewhere it had a little heart.
If you go in with low expectations and ready to just have a good, mindless time - at least give this movie a rental.
I will probably buy this one for my daughter who loves Seth Green and Matthew Lillard. If she doesn't get it first.:)

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
I just checked this one out last night.....certainly not a "good" film, but I enjoyed it nonetheless. I found Dax Shepard to be quite funny, in particular. His comedic delivery is spot on and frequently good for a laugh. Maybe he just appeals to my specific sense of humor, I dunno. But I did find this film enjoyable in addition to nostalgic. The humor was certainly juvenile at times, but the whole point of it was that they were "recapturing" the bond they had as youths and taking a break from their adult lives and responsibilities. Hey, who among us doesn't regress once in a while for gosh sakes? Gotta never lose sight of the inner child :) At least that's my take......

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
F*CK YOU DAD!

(for those who saw Something Something Darkside)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks