What's new

HTF REVIEW: "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Bingo

Stunt Coordinator
I just bought the Canadian version at MusicWorld (Guelph, Ontario)

No bilingual packaging here!

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Yup, I got the definitely Canadian version (little Can. flag), English-only cover, from Wal-Mart...they had the cheapest price around here too. Nice set for the low(ish) price, I sure can't complain...

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor
I, too, was delighted to see no bilingual packaging!

Strange, I thought someone had posted a screenshot showing the Canadian packaging and it was indeed bilingual.

Yaaay!

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
BV should be ripped for making the theatrical trailer an Easter Egg. I'm not sure why all the secrecy about where the stupid thing is. I'm obviously not smart enough to find the "easy to find easter egg on disc one," so somebody help me. Can someone just tell me?

This is ridiculous. Just hacks me off.

DM

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor
To access the trailer:

- Pop in Disc 1
- When you're at the main menu (with Benny's map in front of you) select "Movie Theater" and press down 4 or 5 times. The cursor will move to Benny's dash.
- Press Enter

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I think the trailer was made an easter egg so that they feel they could "get away" with not removing Baby Herman's extended finger. Same reason they left the trailer so dirty and muddy-looking...cleaning it up would have required a "cleaning up of the finger".

I'm grateful to get this the way we did. I'm wonder if all the "bosses" at Buena Vista knew about or approved of this...could it have been "slipped in" under their noses?

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
Strange, I thought someone had posted a screenshot showing the Canadian packaging and it was indeed bilingual.
Yup, that was me. The picture was from a DVD Soon flyer that was included in one of my previous orders from them. I'm really relieved that the set turned out not to be bilingual.

Chris

Dave Miller

Supporting Actor
Thanks Jeremy! The voiceover portion of the audio on that trailer is messed up. Sounded diffused. Very weird.

Good to see the trailer though.

Peace,

DM

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Regarding the Easter egg trailer, I agree with David; I'm pretty sure the finger gag was why the trailer was an Easter egg. But after seeing the "cleaned-up" version, I have to say that I honestly would never have known about it if I hadn't been told about it. I haven't seen the original DVD, and I've heard the change was less subtle there, but here you really can hardly notice.

This, of course, begs the question, why even bother in the first place? But I'm not going to worry about it anymore. I have one of my favorite movies on disc now, looking pretty terrific, and with a fairly impressive array of extras. I don't approve of censorship, but this change is almost impossible to detect if you're not looking for it (and even if you are, it's still pretty difficult to spot). And I'm glad it has the trailer after all, even if it is an Easter egg.

Great DVD(s); I'm happy.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
The "Trail Mix-Up" short has also been censored. The mildly provocative "Rigid Tools" poster visible in the background for a couple frames in the saw mill has been blurred out. It was clearly visible on the previous VHS and recalled laserdisc editions.:angry:

Regards,

Nate Anderson

Screenwriter
I watched the movie last night after picking it up at Target. It's amazing how many of the riskier jokes just flew right over my head as a kid. Wow. I have a much deeper appreciation for the film now.

The dueling pianoes between Daffy and Donald Duck is still my favorite scene though. Only those two would take it to such a literal level.

BarryS

Second Unit
I picked this DVD up yesterday. I'm very, very pleased. I was about 8 years old when this movie came out and it was one of my favorites. I've enjoyed it many times over the years and I still love and admire it. It's a wonderful DVD too. I passed on the '99 release, and I sure am glad I did. This DVD is 1000 times better. A release truly worthy of this grand cinematic achievement. I listened to the commentary and it's a very good one. It really gave me a new appreciation for the film. I didn't realize just how big and complicated a production this was. It just makes me admire the people who labored on this film even more. This is also the first time I've seen it in OAR. Quite a difference it makes. There's significant cropping in many scenes in the full-frame version.

A wonderful release of a wonderful movie.

:star: :star: :star: :star:

Travis D

Second Unit
I was 4 at the time of the movie's release, but I recieved the VHS as a present when I was 5. I have watched the movie countless times over a decade's span, but I've never really watched it. Until now.

What a difference being 18 makes when you wach one of your old favorites. I freakin' love this film. I love it with an undying adoration that knows no bounds. I now get all the jokes and it just makes it that much better. I also got to see it in OAR for the first time, which was an eye-opener. Plus, I got to see those HILARIOUS shorts for the first time. I swear I wish I had known about these a long time ago, because they are just my kind of comedy. If I had the money, I'd pay Disney out of my own pocket to make more of them. They are THAT good.

As far as the censorship goes, if my eyes can't see it when it's played back at normal speed (or OFS Original Film Speed) then it doesn't matter. I never noticed it as a child, and I sure as hell don't care about it now.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I just got this DVD and it has to be one of the best of the year so far!

I was upset over the editing...but you can't see it unless you literally pause and do frame-by-frame. In fact, the edit makes it MORE dirty... (Need I say more?) NO frames have been excised, though.

ADDITION:

I watched again and there are no frames missing.

The video and audio is literally STUNNING. All of the effect shots have a TINY bit of negative speckles (which is understandable given the amount of optical work) and a little bit of wavering contrast. It's perfectly normal for the type of shots and shouldn't be looked down on. The audio is excellent, as well. Of course, I'm referring to the "Enthusiast" disc. The menus are some of the coolest I've seen.

Travis D

Second Unit

Wow. I'm going to have to really disagree with you on that one Patrick. I'd say the one weakness that it has is its menus. You have to press skip chapter like 5 times before you can get to the main menu. Then each transistion is laborious to the nth degree.

However, to Disney's credit, they absolutly showed that they weren't dicking around with this release. They displayed true care in the making of this DVD and that's really what matters to me at least.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks