What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: "West Side Story" Special edition (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
No one must share MY opinion.
I am not that presumptuous or pretentious.

For ME the sync problem for
those few lines does not
effect my overall enjoyment of the disc.

If such things bother you, dont buy it,
and by all means, wait for them to fix it.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
DVDs store the soundtrack, digitally, in a completely different part of the disk than the picture, presumably, and that's why there are sync problems.
While the .m2v (MPEG-2 video) and .ac3 (Dolby Digital audio) files are indeed separate, they are derived from the same master and are multiplexed, along wih all the other DVD files to create the final disc. That's the authoring process for every DVD. The fact that they are separate files has *nothing* to do with sync (unless the *entire* film is out of sync - which could still be a player-specific problem if other players don't exhibit sync drift).

What strikes me as odd is that the rest of the film is fine - it's just that number. I sold back my original MGM DVD, so I can't confirm if it's always been there. Strange!

Felix

DeeF

Screenwriter
Felix,

I was referring to the fact that, on a piece of film, the soundtrack typically is laid alongside the film, corresponding to the picture directly. If the soundtrack and film have been printed properly, they will always be in sync, or they will always be out of sync. (I believe that Mr. Harris mentioned the original prints of My Fair Lady were slightly out of sync).

On a disk, however, since they don't necessarily reside side-by-side, as it were, there is some probability of being out of sync, whether by transfer error or machine error. Many early DVDs (and early DVD players) had a problem of a slowly-worsening audio sync. This seems to have been corrected, by 2003.

But the problem of West Side Story remains -- this particular scene (Chapter 13) is out of sync, at least the music channels. Because the scene is mostly shot in closeup, its very evident, and quite distracting. I don't know whether the problem exists on the source of the transfer, or just in the transfer process itself, but it does exist, making the scene difficult to enjoy.

Another recent musical put out on DVD, "Sweet Charity" has some odd audio problems, but sync isn't one of them.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Any updates...viewed this again...and it is very distracting. My favorite scene in the movie too. Does anyone know if the film has always been out of sync during this scene. I wouldn't think so...the older dvd is not as bad.

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Sorry if this was posted and answered earlier, I haven't read the whole thread.

Is this coming out in a NON-collector's set? I don't want all the extra stuff.

Brian Kidd

Senior HTF Member
It hasn't been announced as one. For such a great set that can be had for under $30 at most stores, there's no reason not to go ahead and buy it.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
I hadn't yet seen the new WWS edition, but now have done a spot check.

I can confirm that the Tonight vocal tracks are out of sync and disturbingly so.

The disc should be re-authored and replaced.

RAH

DeeF

Screenwriter
Thanks so much, Mr. Harris, for your authoritative word on this! Sometimes I feel that our words fall on deaf ears (the studios/and DVD authoring places, I mean).

I'm willing to start a petition, although I wish I knew someone to call.

Jon_W

Stunt Coordinator
I sent an email off to MGM although I doubt it will do any good. We need some help on this one with people who can provide some real ways to get in contact with MGM. I love this film and am upset that this disc was not thoroughly checked before hand.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
And in the past, MGM has offered replacements for some of the James Bond disks with lesser problems. So at least there's a track record there, and some hope.

Jon_W

Stunt Coordinator
I suspect being aware of the problem and acknowledging the problem in a public statement are two different things, but I hear you Mr. Harris. MGM should be sending out a press release to all retailors and dvd sites stating that there is a problem, as well as recalling all discs immediately. MGM fixes one WSS problem and causes another. Lets hope we see some action soon.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
I was going to buy this today, but now I think I'll hold off.

In the meantime, nothing wrong with the original DVD I already have. :)

I'm not going to trade a missing Jet whistle for an out-of-sync musical number.

William Miller

Second Unit
Anyone who was going to buy this DVD and now has decided not to because of this "problem" is making a huge error.

This is a superb DVD of a superb movie.

There are billions and billions and billions of seconds in movie history and if we are going to let a few seconds here and there stop us from watching landmark films, then it is all pretty hopeless.

At the same time, another classic movie has received very shoddy treatment on DVD. (Gunfight at the O.K. Corral.) How come there is not a big uproar over this DVD? Has anyone watched this DVD and got past the first 3 minutes? Now there is a problem that needs correcting. Paramount did nothing to restore this movie and it looks pretty weak throughout but never as bad as the screen credits.

Jon_W

Stunt Coordinator
William I think you miss the point. We maybe able to live with the mistake but that does not mean we should accept it without question and pretend nothing is wrong. Additionally, as Rain pointed out the previous DVD was almost perfect but MGM has fixed one mistake only to make another. With that said I do think people should not be affraid to buy this disc because when MGM does acknowledge the problem they will most certainly offer some type of mail in exchange that will get you your disc more quickly then try to find a corrected one in stores. All that is assuming MGM will fix it.

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
I just received an email from MGM and they claim they know nothing about any "widespread defect" with WSS. They told me to exchange my copy. I wrote them back and told them it is not just my copy. Everyone who owns this needs to email them about it. We spend our hard earned money on product, assuming it is not defective.

Rain

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rain
Why would anyone who has the original disc want to buy the new one if the new one has more problems?

I'm not going to be buying the new one until the problem is fixed.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Rain,

Please don't bump threads.

Also, I would highly guess MGM will not opt
to release this disc again.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks