What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Warner Brothers Gangster Collection (VERY HIGHLY RECOMMENDED). (1 Viewer)

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I've watched all six dvds and I can't disagree much with Herb's grades on the dvd presentations. I'm now watching all six dvds again with the commentary and so far, so good in that aspect. Warner did a great job with this boxset and any film buff would be proud to have it in their film library. As I watched these dvds, I couldn't help to notice that my high regard to these great actors is even moreso now, even though, I've seen these films and other films with them, countless times beforehand. Watching these dvds with many scenes in pristine condition is like seeing these movies for the first time.

Crawdaddy

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Has anyone else noticed that in the vintage cover art for Angels and Roaring Twenties, Cagney's expression is exactly the same? Maybe there was some tracing and re-coloring going on, a sort of '30s pre-cursor of photoshopping. :D

Just got my set in the mail yesterday, and I started off with White Heat, which was every bit as shattering as when I first saw it several years ago. Crawdaddy is right about seeing these old movies again in such great transfers, it's almost like another first viewing. Man, what a classic. And the featurette was pretty great, lots of interesting tidbits from all the experts who are on the various commentary tracks (looking forward to those, to be sure), many of whom did nice commentaries for previous Warner releases, like the noir collection (plus Eric Lax on Treasure of Sierra Madre).

Top of the world, Warners!

Roger Mathus

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Roger Mathus
I am still working my way through these excellent DVDs. I have one question regarding "White Heat". It regards the timeline at the chemical plant. Everyone arrives in broad daylight yet the fight ends in the dark with search lights. The pace of the film seems to indicate ( or give the feeling of) a short timeline at the chemical plant.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Yeah, I noticed that too, Roger. Seems like a continuity error. Still one of the great classic movies, though. :D

Rodney

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I just received my collection, and what gives? I have two White Heat's and NO Petrified Forest. Yikes! Now I am going to have to wait further to send it back and get it replaced. This is the first time in all the years of online ordering that this has happened. I cannot blame the online vendor, since Warners made this mistake.

I really wanted to watch one of these, too!

PeterMano

Stunt Coordinator
I picked up this set reluctantly and realized something. Resistance is futile. WB has my number. I am their biatch.

This is my fourth WB box set and I rarely buy box sets. WB Legends, The Hitch box set, the Scorsese box set and now the Gangsters collection. But, we're not done yet. March 1st, Classic Comedies Collection, March 15th, Classical Musicals collection.

It's very tough to say no, WB offes a substantial reduction in price with their box sets over purchasing the titles individually. But, I'm going to need a second job to keep up.

Make that fifth box set, I forgot about the film noir box set. YIkes!

Anthony Wolfe

Stunt Coordinator
You's Punks. After reading this detailed and informative review/thread (might I mention great, if I'm toading...meh!), I got in a rush to pick the collection up. I've been bugging my local Hastings (I live in a small town, I refuse to deal with Blockbuster or any of the other rubbish places) for the past week, I finally just decided to make a trek to the closest Best Buy and pick it up (150 miles away). I gave them a big fuss on the phone before I made the trip, they practically threw it in my hand when I arrived (and wanted me gone much the same). Anywho, I just got back and I couldn't be happier, I'm currently sorting the titles and watching the Duke/Wake Forest game, but I will be enjoying a great night of movies.

This is my second box set from Warners, Hithcock is the first...Like I said in another thread, Warner owns me and I love it, it just keeps getting better...

Keep up the good work.

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman

:eek:
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Now that's "in a hurry"!!! Oh, how I envy thy spare time. . .

Anthony Wolfe

Stunt Coordinator
oye crap! I should probably say 150 miles total, 75 there and back. I live in Sierra Vista and had to travel to Tucson, AZ.

I enjoyed it.

ArthurMy

Supporting Actor
I've been enjoying the set tremendously. White Heat looks great. The older films, Public Enemy and Little Caeser less so. It is funny that some folks forgive the problems with the latter two films because of their age, but don't forgive the problems with the early Marx Brothers films because of THEIR age.

I will also say that this obsession with screencaps and finding "hairs" and "holes" and whatever is rather inane. Who cares? You can find hairs and holes in the theater while watching movies, too. Who cares? When you start looking for that stuff, when that stuff becomes the be all and end all of DVD, then I'd say that something is terrible wrong.

I mean, really - a one frame tear - a one frame hair - it's completely irrelevant and really, shame on the people who use their pause buttons to find such ridiculousness. And that's my two centimes.

My only problem with this set, as is so often the case these days, is with the featurettes which are beyond boring, IMO. Do they really need to truck out these film school teachers to tell me that Edward G. Robinson was good casting for Little Caeser. Because that's the level of their discourse. They all come off pompously, and one of them looks like a wino they got off the street. Martin Scorsese is one thing, but these guys are something other. The only person I can actually listen to or watch on these Warner sets is Rudy Behlmer - he's succinct, has good and interesting information, and isn't pompous. These other guys are a load of hooey and bring nothing to these featurettes.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich

I cut your other stuff off because I'm through addressing that stuff. But this ....?

If you have a point, make it as intelligently as you are capable of. However, the line is drawn when you make hateful comments about people. To call someone publicly "pompous" is one thing to characterize someone as "a wino they got off the street" is quite another. I notice you didn't mention them by name. Funny how that works out.

You owe "one of them" an apology.

ArthurMy

Supporting Actor
Hateful comments? I'm afraid this is typically indicative of the world we've come to live in. And really, don't misquote me. I characterized one of the participants as LOOKING like some wino they got off the street (because that is the way he appeared to me). I'm not saying he IS a wino off the street - he IS a film professor. But see, when you leave out a key word in a sentence, well, then you subvert the meaning of the sentence, but I'm sure you knew that when you were blatantly leaving the word out. And when I said he LOOKED like some wino they got off the street, my tongue was firmly in cheek. But, the humor quotient around these parts is sorely lacking. Here - :) Is that better? I always forget to put the smiley face in so everyone can know I have my tongue in my cheek.

Of course you cut my other stuff. I don't blame you, since it's pretty irrefutable.

Anthony Wolfe

Stunt Coordinator
I do agree with Arthur on that point though. It's just the same as anything else though, ever get around a person who insists on using large and difficult words when a smaller more known word would do the trick. I suppose Arthur is referring to that type of manner. Still, no need to insult.

I also agree about the film quality discussion, sure I want the films recreated as they are originally meant to be presented, but I can't worry myself with such bothersome things, furthermore I don't think I'd have the eye for it anyway. That said, I am happy that there are folks who DO nitpick at such objects of imperfection, keeps the studios in line and gives us great releases.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
No. What is indicative of the world we live in is people that split hairs between calling someone a drunk or saying they look like a drunk. It is also indicative of the Internet where people sit in their rooms and pass on respectful language - for language they would never say in person.

Saying someone "looks like a wino they got off the street" is character assassination, plain and simple. So when I say that you "characterize someone as a wino they got off the street" that's exactly what you did.

It is also obvious that you don't even understand the term 'tongue in cheek.' You could look it up.

Moving on.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Let's stop that kind of talk right now! If you guys want to continue your argument then do so off-line.

Crawdaddy

ToddF

Agent
Real Name
Todd Fredericks

Not really because the guy who "looks like a wino they got of the street" was never specifically identified so who's character was actually assassinated? The world has become an uptight place. Blah!

I watched 'White Heat' last night and was very impressed. Thank you Warner Brothers for bringing this set out! :)

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Actually vague feedback like that can be a lot worse. I co-taught a class one time where a student evaluation comment said "one instructor really seems to know what he is talking about and the other does not". Needless to say we were both mortified by the comment even though we had no idea which one the student thought we were.

Regards,

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks