What's new

DVD Review HTF Review: Van Helsing (1 Viewer)

Paul Hillenbrand

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul Hillenbrand
IMO, Van Helsing was a good summer movie and despite what the critics said, I took my son to see it twice. We bought the DVD, and when I viewed it Tuesday night, I thought to myself, what a great movie to play; putting you into the October Halloween spirit.
wink.gif

Paul

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
garfield got a bad rap before it was even released.. there was so much hatred for the movie, which surprised me very much.. I was not expecting garfield to be an oscar winner material.. I enjoyed it for what it was. I also enjoyed the comics and the cartoon series. besides garfield. I did enjoy troy, day after tomorrow, f911.. thought spidey 2 was okay liked the first better. was not a fan of shrek 2 or harry potter 3.. liked the first harry potter movies much better.

I think people that own pets might like the garfield movie more.. they will understand the demanding pets that they own.

the thing about cgi for me.. do I beleive in the character.. like hulk, spidey, gollum, jar jar, doobly, and garfield.. if I beleive in the character as I am watching it.. then the cgi doesn;t bother me that much, even if some of it looks fake or off balance for some reason.

perhaps it helps that when I was a kid.. you watch the muppet related shows.. so characters like hulk, jar jar, spidey, or whatever.. is more like a new version of a muppet compared to something that is not.

as a dracula or frankestein movie. I prefer the one from the 90s with robert de niro and gary oldman.

JACOB

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
quote:When it comes to a kid, they just watch it and enjoy it without picking it apart,over analyzing it and finding every flaw possible.
But I'm not a kid. And kids like some of the stupidest things imaginable. I find that a weak defense for unpopular genre films like the prequels, Van Helsing, or AVP.

quote:There are certain movies made that are not meant to be over analyzed and Van Helsing is one of them. Take it for what it is and either enjoy it or don't enjoy it
Great point...

quote:...but for those of you who didn't like it, what were you expecting?
...ruined by placing the blame on the viewer.

Why can a cheeseball film based on a theme park ride "get it" but Van Helsing gets a pass??? Pirates had a fun tone, worked for kids, and yet still appealed to adults because it played fair with it's own rules.

I have no beefs with the film itself. I haven't (and won't) seen it. My moviewatching time is precious, and this doesn't make the cut. I understand completely where it's coming from. I don't want it to be serious in tone...I just want it to take itself seriously. There is a fundamental difference. That said, opinion is a beautiful, beautiful thing, and I freely accept that some very smart people have a fine time watching this. I know I wouldn't, so I don't. But I don't denigrate those that like it (though I'll tease the film itself). I recomend the reverse logic applies. Don't blame the viewers when they recoil at it.

Or, in simpler terms...

“Van Helsing, I knew Castlevania. I PLAYED Castlevania. You, sir, are no Castlevania.”

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
quote:I think people that own pets might like the garfield movie more.. they will understand the demanding pets that they own.

I love animals and have lived with them my whole life but I still loathed Garfield - so much for that theory!

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
do you hate the movie because you hate the idea of a live action garfield movie? that would make more sense. never read garfield?

JACOB

Vader

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Derek
" ...ruined by placing the blame on the viewer."

I agree, to a point. If a film is misrepresented by the trailer attracting viewers based on a false impression, I can see your point. Examples of this are the first Alien3 trailer ("...On earth, everyone can hear you scream."), or The Lost World ("Based on the novel by Michael Crichton"). This "bait-and-switch" approach is, in my opinion, the cardinal sin of movies. However, the trailer for VH was completely faithful to the film, cheese and all ("...my life, my curse, is to vanquish evil..."). I do not understand how dialog like that can be mistaken for anything else. So, if the viewer is mislead as to the film's content, then I agree. However, if the viewer goes into a film knowing what to expect, and then disparages the film because it was not what they wanted, then any criticisms they have are largely without merit. The original trailer for 1999's "The Mummy" was very clear that the film was a popcorn adventure, and yet it was maligned by those who were expecting Uni's 1932 original. Those people were clearly not paying attention to the trailer.

TedT

Second Unit
But
quote:I'm not a kid. And kids like some of the stupidest things imaginable. I find that a weak defense for unpopular genre films like the prequels, Van Helsing, or AVP.

quote:I have no beefs with the film itself. I haven't (and won't) seen it.

?!?!?!??! You're basically saying Van Helsing sucks and you haven't seen it?

I'll give my opinion tomorrow. AFTER I have seen it.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
quote:do you hate the movie because you hate the idea of a live action garfield movie? that would make more sense. never read garfield?

1) I have no problem with a live-action Garfield flick - they can do whatever they want with it

2) I've read Garfield virtually since its inception - I think it's an okay strip

3) I hate the movie because it's totally witless, inane and insipid. If you really want my opinions, go here:

http://www.dvdmg.com/garfieldmovie.shtml

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
You can also put me in the camp of folks who enjoyed the movie for what it was. A fun escapist flick.

Ric

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Can we stick to talking about the disc itself please? Some of the members here are talking about the FILM and that discussion belongs in the Movie forum.

Does anyone know if the audio for Dracula was corrected?

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Nice one Scott, you complain that discussing the film doesn't belong in this thread and than you go ahead with a question about another film.
biggrin.gif

Jay Mitchosky

Senior HTF Member
Is this thread about the movie or the DVD?

On a more mundane note, I have a metal sleeve that came with my copy of the three disc set (bought on a whim as the package looked interesting and Hugh Jackman rocks). Problem is it doesn't fit the three-discer so is probably made for the standard release. It's quite nice, basically like the T2 S.E. tin cover but with the Van Helsing logo stamped into it. Unfortunately some idiot in the Future Shop marketing department thought it would be a good idea to screen their logo in black on the spine.

So, if you have the single disc and figure the F.S. logo can be removed the cover is yours for the cost of shipping. This was a freebie with the disc. I'd rather give it to someone who can use it then throw it out. First come first served via e-mail at [email protected].

Chuck Mayer

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Chuck Mayer
Just wanted a quick reply to TedT.

You used my quotes, but failed to read them. I called VH "unpopular"...not bad. Don't put words in my mouth. How can I judge a film I haven't seen? I can make an assessment based on the trailer, as Derek points out. I assessed that I wouldn't like the film, and did not waste my time.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
The whole problem with "Garfield" is that the character of Garfield never appears in the film. Only some CGI abortion that the characters refer to as Garfield, but which includes none of the characteristics of the original comic creation.

Purchased two copies of "Van Helsing" today. Purchased the first at Wal-Mart for $15.87 since I knew that was the lowest price, but then later in Best Buy was reminded that they had a bonus disc included with theirs and bought another copy there for $15.99.

Oh, well. I'll resell the first copy in the family store or get my parents to buy it from me (they liked the film too).
tongue.gif

TedT

Second Unit
ok, just saw it. OMG! A politically correct Dracula?!?!? "I only kill what I need." HA HA! And the villagers AGREE to let this continue?!??! ("Let him alone! Don't kill the vampires! They will only kill more of us for revenge!") LOL!

Definitely sounds like some people when it comes to fighting terrorism! ("Don't do it! It's ok for them to kill us, but if you try to stop them, you'll only make them want to kill us more!") If this movie is representative of the collected feelings of our population (and not just the wackos you hear on TV), we are truly, truly doomed as a society.

I can understand the French calling their hero a murderer for stopping a guy from killing them, but in the 19th century? Didn't they have balls back then?!??!

I'm not even going to go off on how they changed the mythologies of the monsters.

The movie looked absoulutely beautiful though. The set design was amazing. The DVD transfer was great. Good sound and excellent contrast.

I'd give it 2 stars out of 5. Not as bad as most people were saying, but definitely a rental.

A great demo disk. Though my copy's going to e-bay just for the lunatic message it tries to convey.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
quote:ok, just saw it. OMG! A politically correct Dracula?!?!? "I only kill what I need." HA HA! And the villagers AGREE to let this continue?!??! ("Let him alone! Don't kill the vampires! They will only kill more of us for revenge!") LOL!

I don't see this as an outrageous concept. Isn't it the same as cultures who'd sacrifice some for the good of the whole society? They figure they can't do anything about Dracula or stop him, so they might as well minimize the damage. Kinda smacks of Neville Chamberlain, but I don't see it as unbelievable...

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I watched VH last night. I hated it in the theater, but thought I would give it another chance. The movie definitely works better on home video than it did at the cinema. First of all, the transfer is one of the most beautifully film like I've ever seen. If your display device can display rich, deep blacks, than you'll be enthralled with the look of this DVD. The sound is loud, boisterious and always entertaining.

The film itself lacks any kind of internal logic or subtlety(the coach chase through the woods is a real low point), the secondary characters have little development, and the leads try their best to give good performances but are battling a troublesome script. On the plus side, the set design is gorgeous, the musical score by Alan Silvestri is rich and old fashioned, and the visual effects are very well represented on DVD. I love the old Universal classics, and the little flourishes and homages are always enjoyable(especially the "Beast Battle of the Century!" during the film's climax).

This movie could have been so much more, but what it is isn't quite as bad as my memory made it out to be. At least worth a rental.

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
Van Helsing has a wonderful transfer, superb sound. The image quality beautifully supports Allen Daviau's cinematography, which is beautifully blended with the CGI and matte work.

It would be unfortunate if his work did not receive support come award time based upon the perception and genre of the film.

As far as extras, they have some really meaning, especially for film students, who can actually glean a bit of information about production techniques from them. Very well thought out documentary shorts.

RAH

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks