What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: V For Vendetta (RECOMMENDED). (1 Viewer)

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
It's from an early part of the film, so you actually see a lot of hair. Don't worry, she loses most of it later.

Oh, you mean ... that hair. Um, okay, ...

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Terrific film. Just watched it for the first time today and was blown away. Smart, well written, well acted. The DVD looked and sounded awesome too! :emoji_thumbsup::emoji_thumbsup:

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Josh, about that screenshot, with the haircut, I am curious about what it means about V.

We do not see the hair-cutters face in the widescreen version of the film, but they did not attempt to hide the face in the promo photos, and perhaps the face is also visible in the full frame edition of the video. So are we to assume that this is supposed to be V in a very realistic mask? Because the one time we saw him in a human mask, it was dark and had a big fluffy beard, the better to hide the fact that it was not a realistic mask. So does V have accomplices or what?

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

That's not neccessarily true. There are many instances where objects, people, etc are more visible in full frame versions of films that were shot open matte or super 35.

Not sure how this one was filmed.

Travis Brashear

Screenwriter

Okay, let's try this again and pay close attention this time: If it's not in the widescreen version of the film, it's not in the film. In olther words, it may be on the celluloid itself, but it's not a real, true, accurate part of the film--it doesn't count.

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
Someone asked, so I'll spoiler this, though I can't do anything about the post I'm replying to:

One can read it either way, he either has accomplices or its a mask. I prefer the interpretation that since they weren't going to show the hair cutter's face in the movie anyway, there was no reason to further complicate schedules or have Weaving come in for filming of the scene when he won't be visible in it in any significant capacity.

Of course, one can make the case for most of his scenes in this film, but since there isn't much "acting" (physical or otherwise) for the part of the barber in that scene it makes little difference - unlike alot of other scenes where he's still wearing a mask but is acting with physicality (I'm assuming of course that Huge was ever actually in costume, I don't know enough about the making of the film to know if his work was just essentially voice over or if he was actually in the costume most of the time).

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I enjoyed the film and its DVD presentation, but one aspect of it made me think that I am possibly spending too much time on the forum. My mind kept getting sidetracked by the idea that Warner Brothers must have cleared the rights to use clips from the Robert Donat version of "The Count of Monte Cristo". Someone must know who has "clear title" to them, and I want them to release it on DVD! :)

...and don't even get me started on V watching it cropped to fit a 16:9 television. :eek:

Regards,

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
If this were a low budget film by directors who don't care about their film's visuals, I'd buy the "if it is not in the widescreen version it doesn't count."
But these guys are powerful enough to control what is photographed. I didn't mean to resurrect the trite widescreen debate.

Sean, thanks for your read on it.

David Williams

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Williams

Some of the time. James Purefoy did 4 to 6 weeks of filming (reports vary) before dropping out. Weaving then stepped into the mask and, of course, you have stunt people.

From an MTV article:

"Since V's face is never seen, all Weaving had to do to step into the role was re-voice the lines Purefoy had already done and then take over for the rest of the shoot. Purefoy doesn't get a credit, but sometimes that is him up onscreen — with Weaving woven in.

"Can I tell the difference?" McTeigue says. "Yeah. Can the audience tell? I doubt it."

"A lot of people play V," Silver adds. "Any move you make, you have different stunt guys, so in the knife fights it's one guy. When swinging on the ropes, it's another.""

Sean Laughter

Screenwriter
Thanks for that bit of info David. Makes sense. I knew Weaving was a replacement for someone else, but never really followed the production to know when it happened, how far into shooting, why the original dropped out/was fired, etc.

In any case, since this is the DVD review thread I guess I should ask. Is the single disc version the exact same transfer and sound wise as the 2-disc version in terms of the film itself. This is one movie I'm definately picking up in hi-def in the not too distant future so I don't think I want to splurge on the 2-disc version right now, but I would if there was a difference in the film's presentation quality across the two.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I picked this up the other day and really liked it. It was one of my favorite films this past year. Thanks for another great review Herb. :emoji_thumbsup:

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
Question: During some dark scenes, such as the video-confrence with the High Chancellor & party, and on more than one occasion with a closeup V-shot, there is significant light "Halo-ing" on what would otherwise be an all-black spot of film.

Was this intentional for the film, or is it a DVD video-problem?

Shane_M

Stunt Coordinator
I loved this movie in theatres and couldn't wait for the DVD. I was fortunate enough to review in our podcast at The DVD Marquee.

The movie was brilliant, and I couldn't ever picture anyone other than Hugo voicing that role. He was brilliant, and Natalie Portman was just as good.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks