What's new

HTF REVIEW: "Twin Peaks: The First Season SE DVD" - REVIEW UPDATED PAGE 2 (1 Viewer)

Mark Silver

Stunt Coordinator
Don't get me wrong, I LOVE TP, and will be 1st in line to buy the box but,

I don't understand why Artisan would release the discs this way. Why not release the entire series in one big box set. Yes, technically the 1st 7 eps are the "1st season", but TP is a essentially 2 long continuous mysteries. The 1st ends in the middle of Season 2. The 2nd begins immediately and either does or does not end with the season 2 finale. (A long debate that I really don't want to start in this thread). My point is why would I want a box set that end with a cliffhanger. What if they never release the end of series. Then 15 years from now, I am stuck trying to remember what happenned, or trying to get my time worn VHS tapes to play.

I have the same gripe about the Stargate SG-1 boxset. I have no confidence that they will release every season, yet the last episode is a cliffhanger. At the very least, I wish they would conclude all 2 -parters in the same set.

I assume the reason things are done the way they are is that the DVD producers have no clue about the plot and storylines of the DVD they are producing.

OK my rant is over, didn't mean to sound so negative on a subject that makes me so happy.

Nigel Lata-Burston

Auditioning
Ron
The original episode is available from
http://www.pokerindustries.com/
at a very reasonable price. It's a great buy and an essential introduction to the series (missing the alternative European ending - which is a good thing!).
I was sad when a third series of Twin Peaks failed to receive a green light from the network....the series finishes with the viewer begging for more and the soon to be released Fire Walk With Me (the theatrical prequel to the series) only adds to the torment. Such greatness should have continued....
Enjoy the series, Ron. I envy you as I've seen the episodes several times over the years and nothing quite compares to the first viewing. Be prepared to be moved on many levels by Twin Peaks - it can leave you feeling happy, sad and downright frightened....brilliant and inspired, I simply love it!

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member
I don't understand why Artisan would release the discs this way.
Hmmmmmm...

Release a 15 disc set of a TV series that no one is sure will sell is a giant boxed set with a asking price of $150+. Put in all the time and cash to prepare supplements, audio tracks, new transfers for 30 episodes- and hope that people want them.

Or you release 7 episodes on 4 discs and see what the market interest for the series is.

Seems like a no-brainer to me. You've got a clear cut line to break the sets up- it's not like they're cutting in mid season. The obviously wanted to test the waters before blowing a wad of cash on all the prep for a giant set that might very well collect dust on shelves (from what I've seen the VHS sets didn't sell well- but I'd assume it was because they were SLP, looked like garbage, and cost $120).

I think this was the right choice. Granted it means fans will have to wait for a little while to complete the set, but we've been waiting for 10 years already. I would much rather them take this appraoch rather than not being willing to take the risk at all!

-Vince

TheoGB

Screenwriter
Maybe it was a one off but the entirety of Ron's post IS the subject of this thread. Very confusing. Can something be done?
Cheers
Theo
EDIT - It was a one off. Back to normal now. I'll report the bug in Forum Feedback. How wierd.
Carry on people. Move along. Nothing to see here...OH MY GOD! A horrible plane crash! Gather round everybody...:b :D

Mark Silver

Stunt Coordinator
Vince,

I don't think that you are correct about the demand for the videotape collection. I was working at a Suncoast when that collection came out and we couldn't keep them on the shelves. We kept getting numerous requests after it went out of print. The number of cult fans would more than substantiate putting this release on DVD. I mean there is still a yearly convention for this show, and it has been off the air for a long time.

I don't believe demand, or possible lack thereof, had anything to do with Artisan's decision. Although I think it would be an interesting question to get an answer to.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the GREAT review, Ron. I not only moved this up to must-buy status, but got a co-worker interested in it as well.
I also just sent Jeff an e-mail for the pilot... :)

Henry Colonna

Stunt Coordinator
AHH!! The review OPENS with an uninformed "slap in the face" to Twin Peaks. I am embarrassed, Ron. I think a year from now, when you reread that review, you will be too.

Eleven years ago as I watched Twin Peaks I desparately fed S-VHS cassettes into an "open box" Magnavox special on a small JCPenny television. My dream was one day to own a nice TV with surround sound and to be able to watch Twin Peaks in its glory.

I'm not going to be able to sleep tonight...eleven years later, my dream is about to come true.

Twin Peaks - pure creative brilliance.

Skipping the intro episode is a real shame, though.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein

Henry,

Despite the fact that the original pilot is

not in the set (it took me 10 minutes looking

through other discs to be sure that I actually

was watching DISC 1), this is the most incredible

looking and sounding TV episode on DVD.

I am going to finish watching the set over the

next 4 days as I was really drawn into the series.

As I said, it's the characters that I find most

interesting.

...and what's all this hoopla about doughnuts?

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
The only thing I'm bummed about is the price of this TP set, clocking in around $40+ for the set. I guess I'm used to the big X-Files sets (22 episodes for $75 online, and I tend to break down the cost of set in their cost/episode ratio to see how good a value I'm getting. But the cost of being a fan of the show will have to be factored in when it shows up at the stores...

Henry Colonna

Stunt Coordinator
Ron,

Twin Peaks is extremely dark. If you make it through season 2 and 3, if they get released, you will be brought to tears a couple of times. Even if you're one of those manly guys who only cries when your football team loses ;] The show is extremely dark. There is one scene that I can't believe made it to television. I'm not going to even spoiler block it because I know you'd be tempted to look and I'm not going to ruin it for you.

But, on the flip side of that terrible darkness is a bizarre sense of humor. There are lots of little things that Lynch has a lot of fun with, in a unique way, to help balance the darkness.

GuyCrawford

Auditioning
There are a bunch of copies of the pilot on ebay right now. I just got one for $13.99 + $6.00 shipping from ebay user ladywan. There are lots more available if anyone is interested.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
First of all, would someone please send me

a private email to an EBAY seller so I may

purchase the pilot. I would rather not have EBAY

links posted on the forum.

Henry,

Where exactly is this scene that will make

a grown man cry? In the first season? Second?

Third?

I have watched the first 3 episodes and will

work on 4-7 over the next 4 nights.

Henry Colonna

Stunt Coordinator
Oops, I thought there were a few season 3 eps.

Ron,

It's much later on as the story progresses and you live with the characters for much longer in the second season

Anyone know any ETAs on the other season?

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Re: The donuts... I recall promo copies of the soundtrack CD back then was a picture disc of a donut. Remember the merchandising? There was a book called "Agent Coopers Diaries" which was his recordings to Diane, expanded. I am tempted to say some relative of Lynch's wrote them - a daughter, perhaps?

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
There was a book called "Agent Coopers Diaries" which was his recordings to Diane, expanded. I am tempted to say some relative of Lynch's wrote them - a daughter, perhaps?
The book was called "The Autobiography of FBI Special Agent Dale Cooper - My Life, My Tapes". It was formatted as a series of transcripts from recordings Cooper had made since he was 13. The book ends where "Twin Peaks" the series begins, with Cooper heading to Washington state to investigate the body of "a young woman, wrapped in plastic". The author of the book was Scott Frost, who I assume is some relation to Lynch's "Twin Peaks" co-creator, Mark Frost.
The expanded "Twin Peaks" Diane tapes were released on audiobook only, performed by Kyle MacLachlan. With no other "author" credit I assume David Lynch, Mark Frost, and the other "Twin Peaks" writers created this material.
Lynch's daughter, Jennifer (the director of Boxing Helena) wrote a different TP tie-in, "The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer", which covers Laura's life from age 12 until a few days before her death. This book has many passages that are as disturbing as anything in the series.
I found these "official" TP tie-ins to be entertaining in their own right, and quite effective in expanding the TP mythos in regards to the Dale Cooper & Laura Palmer characters.

Will_B

Senior HTF Member
Sounds like the Diane audio tapes would be neat bonus materials for the next set, if they can get the rights to them... Thanks for the info.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Lynch's daughter, Jennifer (the director of Boxing Helena) wrote a different TP tie-in, "The Secret Diary of Laura Palmer", which covers Laura's life from age 12 until a few days before her death. This book has many passages that are as disturbing as anything in the series.
, and before watching FWWM.

SteveGon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Gonzales
Sigh. You guys just had to remind me that this was coming out. Well, my pre-order is placed. Happy now? :) Why can't I be rich...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks