What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Toy Story 10th Anniversary Edition: MUST BUY (1 Viewer)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
That's true but when they put something on moratorium, they use it to 'scare' people into buying a copy. I doubt in the next year you'll see ads saying "Your last chance to own A Bug's Life!" and then three months later see a re-release announced.

Mark Lucas

Second Unit
Maybe not a few months later but eventually. They're very patient with this stuff. I say an upgraded Bug's Life is very likely though.

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
Amazing review, as always, David. Kudos!

Just chatted with Gary Rydstrom. He re-mixed TS1 for this anniversary release from the original stems at Skywalker Sound's home theater room, with near-field monitors. He basically re-balanced the experience for the home theater environment and got a bit more creative with some of the panning. This is his preferred mix, as he says he was able to spend more time with it. One example is when Woody and Buzz are at Sid's and I think Woody looks out the window over to Andy's house, and you hear some of Sid's "derelict toys" moving about behind Woody. In the original mix, these noises are emanating (strangely) from the front speakers, whereas in the new mix, the sounds are appropriately behind the listener.

Also, according to Rydstrom, the upcoming TS2 redux DVD will in fact include a new re-mix in DD EX and DTS ES, although don't expect a whole lot of new panning, etc. Gary Summers did the new TS2 mix, and it was more of a re-balancing for the home theater environment - but it *is* a new mix.

Cheers,

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Folks,

what other website can you turn to where you not only get to read cool (grin) reviews, chat back and forth about them sharing your own insights and opinions, and *then* get treated to inside-info like what Felix shared above. This is JUST the sort of posting in these review threads that makes HTF such a rare and special place. Felix, thanks for sharing your comments with the rest of us. Tell Gary that when I listened to the new mix, it SOUNDED like everything that you just described. His efforts achieved exactly what he set out to do and *this* reviewer (and audiophile) was blown away by the improvement. I can't imaging it sounding ANY better...except of course in 24/96 lossless... :D

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
Thanks David, no prob - my pleasure to contribute!

Gary Rydstrom is now a director at Pixar (since 2003), working on a feature, finishing up a short, and, alas, has hung up his sound design and mixing spurs for the most part (although he will do it for his own films going forward).

He is simply one of my idols. I have certain artists that I hold in very high regard, whether they are musicians, writers, directors, painters, etc., and Gary Rydstrom's sound design/mixing is the TOPS. I mean, T2, Jurassic Park, Saving Private Ryan ('nuff said!), etc., etc.

Another person that comes to mind is Walter Murch, but he's on the top of my editing list. Anyway, that's another thread.

Cheers,

Mark Lucas

Second Unit
I'm not sure about all this remixing stuff. Even though Rydstrom is obviously a genius I keep on remembering that his remix for the T2: Extreme Edition had a moment where the music was dialed down, ala Star Wars dvd. Probably also a creative decision but still...

I've always wondered what would happen if you played one of these "rebalanced for home theater" mixes in a real theater. Does it sound wrong or screwed up?

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
In addition to the more "near field" mixing style of HT designs...I think often the trebble is toned down versus the EQ of "theater" mixes.

BTW, in general I love the "native" sound of theater mixes...the ones I have on laserdisc still sound fine to me ;-)

But in *this* case, the new mix on Toy Story just sounds BETTER than the old.

I am curious too..as you say...what it would sound like played back in a theatrical venue...

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
Hi Mark -

The difference is essentially a re-balancing of levels as the monitors are closer to the listening position, so track audio levels, EQ, etc. are different. In the case of TS1 for this 10th Anniversary DVD, he went further with the mix as he re-did placements and pans, etc. using the original stems. Rydstrom also stated that in fact it is his opinion that the theatrical sound mix and home theater mix should be done back to back during the original post production phase so that the original mixer and director are involved in the process.

Not sure if he did the surround re-mix for the T2 dvd - we didn't discuss that title. He *did* say that - if he could afford to - he would love to take a year off and re-mix all his films for the home theater environment!

Just a guess, but I would think using a home theater-optimized mix in a larger theatrical venue would make for a more cluttered experience (as elements would have been brought "in" more to take advantage of a near-field environment), among other things...

Mark Lucas

Second Unit
Still sounds kind of vague. I can understand remixing a soundtrack to better use the LFE channel or changing levels but why would the EQ need to be changed? Stuff like that should be done in the audio chain level, not mastering. Also, I'm also not really clear on bringing audio elements "in" for the home theater mix. So the home theater environment is typically smaller and more intimate but isn't the same sound coming from each speaker? Are the surrounds remixed to be less difused and more directional?

I just think there should be one mix that can be played back in any venue effectively. Didn't DTS laserdiscs prove to be effective at home? :wink:

Felix Martinez

Screenwriter
Real Name
Felix E. Martinez
You're pushing more air in a large theater vs. an intimate home theater environment, so adjustments should be made to make the best experience for each environment. Some of the complaints we hear re DVDs about dialogue being a bit too low compared to FX, dialogue being harsh (i.e. originally EQ'd for intelligibility thru a perforated screen) come to mind.

When films go to home video, there is an additional step of color correction/timing for the format. I personally think it's great that the audio side of the equation is being optimized.

I'm not defending re-foleying or re-recording sounds. Rydstrom did *not* replace or re-record new sounds for this re-mix - he used the original stems and re-configured some of the panning and adjusted levels and EQ, etc.

Dan Hitchman

Senior HTF Member
Usually, there can be more subtle sound effects added or brought forward such as leaves rustling, creaking stairs and floors, etc. to create a totally immersive experience.

Dialog can sound distorted or too tinny when using theater EQ'ing, so that needs to be rebalanced.

The full bitrate DTS laserdisc of Casper shows off the use of subtle surround effects that were buried at the movie theater.

Also, a huge auditorium requires LOUDNESS and BOMBAST to hear stuff above the noise floor and the size of the room. You can't do "subtle."

Mi Casa is also a post-production audio house that does superior home theater re-mixing with audiophile intent. Their new Lord of the Rings DTS-ES Discrete 6.1 tracks are powerful! They've done many more projects as well.

They did the upcoming Bond classic restoration audio remixes and in some instances were able to create discrete surround music (!!) for certain titles depending upon the original source material they could procure. I believe all the score tracks will be presented in their original stereo mixes now too.

Exciting stuff... plus there's the bonus of high resolution, 8 channel discrete surround options on both new HD formats!! Gary and others should try remixing to that for HD!! Wow! 360 degree sound!

Dan

Joe Fisher

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph E Fisher
Here is a look at a shot from the Ultimate Toy Box & the 10th Anniversary Editions.

Toy Story Ultimate Toy Box:

Toy Story 10th Anniversary Edition:

Joe Schwartz

Second Unit
Thanks for the comparison, Joe. If those screenshots are representative, I see no reason to double-dip -- the new version is only a tiny bit sharper.

Mark Lucas

Second Unit
That comparison is amazing...

I disagree with the notion that subtle sounds can't be done in a theater. I've seen several movies that have had rich detailed soundtracks and even in a barn like Grauman's Chinese the subtle sounds came thru well. Panic Room comes to mind. I guess the sound people just got that one right the first time.

I think I can speak for a lot of people in saying that I much rather have the unaltered raw theatrical mix than an after-the-fact "optimized" remix often done without the supervision of the original sound people. The soundtrack is a canvas and that canvas should should be delivered intact. Another artist shouldn't come and try to make it "better". Oterwise you end up with another Star Wars Trilogy dvd.

Kain_C

Screenwriter
Amazing? What are you seeing that I am not?

The bottom screenie looks a little better. Since I do not have the UTB, depending on price, I may get this version.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
At aprox 4 inches by 6 inches on a computer screen...the difference is minor...but wide-angle/big-screen viewers may appreciate the difference when watching the film. This is one of those cases where a small objective improvement makes a bigger subjective difference when watching the movie. All those little details just make the movie *feel* so much more 3-dimensional.

Thanks for those screen-shots!!! :emoji_thumbsup:

SteveCallas

Second Unit

Not for me, I'll take the optimized home theater mix. I enjoyed the optimized mix in Aladdin and Lion King more than the orginal.

I'm no videophile, but I don't see any difference between the two really. Upon close inspection of the hat, it seems as if the Toy Box version has less pixelation between the different shades of brown.

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
The "Fifth Element" comparison was all that I needed to be convinced.

Certainly, persons with smaller viewing and/or entry level home theaters in a box (or none) are unlikely to appreciate the double dip.

Comparisons of screen shots are very subjective. I'll venture fully 95% of persons reading this have a display of 17" LCD or 19" (18" viewable) CRT OR LESS. If you can still see the slight variance or read that others can, it stands to reason a wide screen display will be similarly and appreciably enhanced.

Much the same as anyone blowing up a 100 kb photo versus a 1 MB photo - yet not at the same level obviously.

I'll also venture that the display settings / video card for most are additionally insufficient to make any acute observations.
Great review!!!

Ravi K

Supporting Actor
David, could you post a few magnifications of details you think are better represented on the new transfer compared to the old one?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks