What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Toy Story 10th Anniversary Edition: MUST BUY (2 Viewers)

Mark Lucas

Second Unit

The previous dvd had a direct-to-digital output. That was one of the new selling points. The previous laserdiscs came from film sources.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Thanks.

I realized TS2 was a direct transfer, as well as the 'newer' movies (like Bugs Life and Monsters, etc.) but I never realized TS1 was.

Maybe the LD version was what I was thinking of. I remember someone telling me that it took so long for TS1 to come out to DVD because of the 'compositing' aspect of it. I just never realized they were able to output it for the original DVD release.

Rob Gardiner

Senior HTF Member
The first five PIXAR shorts are:
  • The Adventures of Andre and Wally B.
  • Luxo Jr.
  • Red's Dream
  • Tin Toy
  • Knick Knack

If I remember correctly, all five appeared on the CAV laserdisc box set of Toy Story. (I can check the disc when I get home to confirm this.) Also, there was a stand-alone VHS release called "TIN TOY STORIES" that included all five.

I thought that the Ultimate Toy Box only included TIN TOY but it appears that LUXO JR. was on there as well. (How did I miss this??? :) )

Does anyone know if the other 3 shorts have appeared on DVD anywhere?

Douglas Bailey

Second Unit
Real Name
Douglas Bailey
Tin Toy and Luxo, Jr. are both in the Ultimate Toy Box set. Knick Knack appears in modified form on the Finding Nemo DVD. I'm not aware of any DVD release of The Adventures of Andre and Wally B. or Red's Dream.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Ok folks,

I just had the chance to screen some scenes of the new Toy Story disc (and listen to the DTS track) on my new OPPO DVD player.

htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif

Let's just say it look the paramedics a bit of work to revive me.

The image is so detailed, so high-resolution, it's almost impossible to believe I'm watching an image that's started out at 720 x 480 resolution...it looks so "HD" it's scary. micro detail upon micro-detail...ahhh.

The OPPO DVD player is also a much more 'analog' looking picture...less "processed" looking and the natural detail just comes through without any added noise. I had no idea how much better these DVDs could look on my PJ but the OPPO has made it clear. Ok...enough about the new DVD player...let me just say that the image is even BETTER than it first appeared when I wrote this review. Oh...and the DD/DTS audio sound even BETTER as well (with the new player). Shockingly so.

More later...I hope to watch the film through again tonight with my friend who has NEVER SEEN it.

Yes--that's partially what I was getting at; In the case of this DVD, I think that filtering along *both* axis has been reduced to the bare minimum...both horizontally and vertically. This is GOOD...and it's exactly what I mean when I say that the MINOR and VERY RARE aliasing you *might* notice is more-than-made-up-for by the entire film of incredible detail that you *DO* notice...

BTW, in the example that I mentioned...the antenna/house are moving horizontally...so it would be left-right information (horizontal detail) that would be the issue in this case (not vertical) for that particular example.

And don't worry...I put the disc back in play at that point and the effect was so minimal that I don't think anyone would be bothered even if they were looking for it. It just hit me while still-stepping through some scenes because it's so easy to see how the pixels of the 720x480 DVD resolution were struggling to encode that HF detail as you still-step (not MPEG noise).

dave :D

greg_t

Screenwriter
David, do you have any means to compare the DTS DVD audio against the DTS laserdisc? I'd be interested to hear a sound comparison between the two.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Good call greg_t. That dts laser of Toy Story was rather stellar. The biggest difference I remember from the DD track was how much larger and deeper it sounded when Woody nearly gets run over at the gas station. That sequence sounded amazing on the dts ld. Also, the DD track on the current dvd, while very good, is also rather bright. I have to use the THX re-EQ. It's one of the few dvds I have to tame.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Ugh...I don't have the DTS laser! Just the "regular" single-disc which I didn't even bother getting out.

Anyone have the DTS laserdisc and live driving distance from College Park MD?

dave :)

Ravi K

Supporting Actor
Spec list from Animated News. Is everything listed here indeed on the discs?

http://www.animated-news.com/archives/00003413.html

BONUS MATERIALS - DISC ONE

Feature Film Presentation
- Presented in widescreen 1:77:1 aspect ratio with picture direct from Pixar's digital source
- Encoded with highest DVD bit-rate ever used for a Disney/Pixar film
- Audio remastered by Academy Award-winner Gary Rydstrom for Dolby Surround-sound 5.1 EX
- All-New "Legacy of Toy Story" Featurette
- Filmmaker Audio Commentary, allowing viewers to watch the film along with Pixar writer/director John Lasseter and his creative team including Andrew Stanton, Pete Docter, Bill Reeves, Ralph Eggleston and Producers Ralph Guggenheim and Bonnie Arnold
- Sneak Peek - Rev up for Pixar's Next All New Animated Feature "Cars", a never-before-seen look under the hood at Pixar Director John Lasseter's newest film

DISC TWO

- New "The Making Of Toy Story" Featurette, a fascinating look behind-the-scenes at the computer animated feature that started it all.

Deleted Scenes (Fully Animated)
- Movie Introduction
- "Sid Tortures Toys"
- "Rain"

Deleted Scenes (Story Reels)
- Filmmaker Introduction
- "Alternate Opening: Buzz Lightyear Cartoon"
- "Alternate Opening: Western Shootout"
- "Woody's Nightmare"
- "Eastern Gate"
- "Shakes the Rattle"
- "Sid's Comeuppance"

Early Animation Tests - Woody, Buzz, Andy, Sid, Mom and Molly
Fascinating tests the animators did to develop the memorable Toy Story characters

Design Highlight Featurettes

- All-New Documentary Short "Designing Toy Story" - The original design team, led by Art Director Ralph Eggleston, revisits their innocent youth to recount how the design of Toy Story came to life
- Documentary Short "Designing Color" describes how color and light were used to tell the emotional story of Toy Story
- Character Design (art galleries and character "turn arounds")
- Set Design (art galleries and rendered set tour)
- Color and Lighting Design (Video and Art Gallery)

Story Highlight Featurettes

Storyboard Pitch
- Green Army Men Pitch

Story Reel
- Andy's New Toy

Production Materials - Further insight into the making of the film.

- Production Tour
- Production Progression (chase sequence)
- Layout Tricks
- Animation Tour (Ash and Pete)
- Early Animation Tests
- Shading and Lighting
- Render Bugs (7)
- Buzz Lightyear Commercial

Publicity Materials - Fascinating look at many of the marketing materials

- Character Interviews
- Teaser
- Trailer
- TV Spots (4)
- Ad Print Campaign (auto play gallery)
- Toys (auto play gallery)

Music and Sound - A listen of the evolution of audio/songs of Toy Story

- All-New Music Video from Lyle Lovett and Academy Award-winner Randy Newman singing "You've Got A Friend In Me"
- Sound Design Documentary Short
- Randy Newman Song Demos - audio tracks with stills:

- "You've Got a Friend In Me"
- "Strange Things"
- "Plastic Spaceman #1, #2"
- "The Fool"
- "I Will Go Sailing No More"

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

DTS ES is literally 6.1 discrete encoding. This is different than DD 5.1 EX...which has to matrix the center rear "ProLogic Style" into the L/R surround channels to maintain backwards compatibility with legacy decoders.

DTS ES ROCKS... :D :emoji_thumbsup:

AlexBC

Second Unit

Humm, not really David. DTS-ES tracks can be matrix like DD-EX tracks as you describe or discrete.
This new Toy Story disc is actually DTS-ES matrix. All Pixar DTS-ES tracks are matrix, like Finding Nemo and Mosnters, Inc R2 and 3.

This note aside... thanks for the great review David, it seemed rather impossible, but you get better every time.

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member

See, I told you the Momitsu makes the image look overprocessed. :D I haven't seen the Oppo myself, but from your description it will probably match my HTPC, without the configuration headaches! Lets hope you don't get the dreaded Oppo lip-sync issue - the only thing preventing me from getting this player! :frowning:

David, is the antenna artifact gone with the Oppo?

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Hey Dave,

Knew you'd like the Oppo!!! If my new optoma greywolf screen EVER gets here today, I'm sure I'll be in for a PQ bump as well. Been watching the PJ on a white wall!!!
Disc sounds amazing. Can't wait.

:) dave m

Mark Lucas

Second Unit
So who else thinks that we'll see brand new editions of A Bug's Life, Monster's Inc, and maybe Finding Nemo within the next year?

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
So now accounting for the features on both Anniversary releases of Toy Story I & II, can somebody take the time to compile a comprehensive comparison of supplemental materials between the two releases and The Ultimate Toy Box set?

I'd like to know exactly what's been carried over and more importantly... what hasn't!

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
I doubt it since I believe all three of these are still available.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation240
Recent bookmarks