What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Titanic - Special Collector's Edition (Highly Recommended) (2 Viewers)

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
The "Easter Eggs" are on the US release of the new Special Collector's Edition, which I'll be sampling on a larger screen this evening.

So far, I'm Extremely impressed with everything about this release.

RAH

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
I know that there's at least one Easter egg on Disc 3, but are there more? If they are what I think they are, based on the DVD credits on Disc 3, then it could be quite enjoyable. For that matter, are they the same "bonus features" that are on the 4th disc in the overseas markets? Please keep us posted on what they are and where to find them, Robert!

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
I just had a chance to view the DVD this evening. A superb presentation in every way. The PQ is a huge improvement of the past release, and the audio is simply stunning. I haven't felt bass this powerful (in the iceberg scene and the sinking) since LOTR. I havent had a chance to go through the supplements, but they do look extensive. I also like the packaging too, which reminds me of the LOTR sets.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
Seems late (but not impossible) to announce something like that. I haven't seen that listed with any retailer yet. Either way, screw waiting two weeks for a film frame and a coin when it's the exact same discs. :) Plus, it'll probably actually be $30 (since most 'deluxe' editions cost more) instead of the $20 I paid for it. Give me a fourth disc, I'll pay $10 more like a chump. Give me a coin and frame, I'll keep my $10. :)

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
Digitally Obsessed lists the following people being commentary participants:

3 Feature/Episode commentaries by Lewis Abernathy, Jason Barry, James Cameron, Frances Fisher, Lynn Hockney, James Horner, Jonathan Hyde, Jon Landau, Martin Laing, Don Lynch, Ken Marschall, Josh McLaglen, Jimmy Muro, Danny Nucci, Bill Paxton, Steve Quale, Joe Rand, Gary Rydstrom, Rae Sanchini, Gloria Stuart, Kate Winslet

Are ALL of these people involved, or is the reviewer mistaken?

I didn't listen/watch the entire cast commentary - there are only so many hours in the day, you know? - I do know they missed Victor Garber.

What I want to know is why are only a few listed in the packaging when there are so many actually on the track?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm actually about to listen to that track and I'll let you know.

If those people are on the track and not listed, it's probably because it's old interviews or because no one cares about the steadicam operator or first AD. :)

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I'm only 25 minutes in and I've already heard nearly all the people that are listed above. Near as I can tell, it's all new interviews done for the DVD too!

Nicholas, Cameron talks about the music during the scene when Jack draws Rose and near the end where Rose promises not to 'let go'.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
There were many on the Cast / Producer commentary that are not listed on the packaging. I listened to about 45 minutes of this commentary and heard comments from most of those on the list in post 114. I can't confirm all the individual names, but there are quite a few participants. Obviously, people like Danny Nucci and Lewis Abernathy have limited time, since their roles are small.

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
Was it possible Leo wasnt as involved in this DVD because of scheduling conflicts? I'm sure that the film he owes his career to would at least have comments from him, but I figure while the disc was being produced he was maybe busy with The Aviator, or Scorsese's next film, The Departed.

Sir Jim has had all the time in the world on his hands since 98, doing little to nothing except record commentaries for his SE DVDs (certainly not a bad thing) and revisiting that damn boat :)

Hopefully the rumored T4 and True Lies 2 will get him out of the water.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks