What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Titanic - Special Collector's Edition (Highly Recommended) (2 Viewers)

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter

Remember that Paramount is not distributing the 4-disc set overseas, Fox is. Frankly, you and I have no idea what licensing was involved for the material on disc 4. It may be that Fox was able to secure licensing and Paramount wasn't - it gets very complicated.

It really bugs me when people say things like "it stinks of greed" or "those greedy studios..." It's a business. Get over it.

There are very few cases when I revisit the extras on a set anyway - while I'll watch the films many times.

-Scott

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

My guess is that this is that the *NEXT* version of this to come out on 5" disc will be Blu-ray. That's why *I'm* waiting to buy...

:D :D :D

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
Thanks for the review Scott. I'll be picking this up next Tuesday. I sold my old copy months ago in anticipation.

Brett_B

Supporting Actor

I am sorry that you feel that way, Scott. Unfortunately, when this title was originally announced, there were plans for a 4-disc set to be released along with a 2-disc set. Now when they scrap both of those in favor of a 3-disc set, what was the motivating factor?

I (myself alone) sees it as greed. If you see it as their only option that's fine because it is your opinion.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

I probably should stay out of this ;)

but how is their "merging" the separate 2-disc and 4-disc sets into a single 3-disc release a sign of "greed"? I'm usually suspicious when I see mutiple versions of the same movie...MIB DTS, MIB super-bit, MIB special edition...that's "greed" to me because it's trying to tempt some consumer into double dipping over and over again chasing some feature on one version but not on the other. A single release is the sort of thing that makes me think a studio isn't trying to jerk me around.

Ken Chui

Supporting Actor

I know of at least one retailer who will be selling the 3-disc set next week for $17.99. :) I would rather have the 4-discer that Europe's getting though.

Brett_B

Supporting Actor
Dave,

I am just referring to the general public (movie only - cheaper version) versus collectors (extra galore).

I have a feeling (my opinion) that Paramount probably felt that to maximize their profits (yes, it's a business) they could achieve that by releasing one edition. Assuming the price of the 2-disc set would be in the neighborhood of $15-$20, 4 disc set in the $25-$30 range, and the 3-disc in the $20-$25 range. Now consider the population in the U.S. who would be buying the DVD. IF the 2 & 4 discs sets were released in the US what approximate figure would one predict as far as units sold for both. Again, considering the general public versus collectors I would predict (my opinion) that there would be greater amounts of 2-discs sets sold. NOW consider the overall difference in the total number of 2 AND 4 discs sets sold versus the number of 3-discs sets sold. The difference (predictions) between those two (2 & 4 disc versus 3-disc) would be presumably small. Which scenario may yield a maximum profit (selling a 2 & 4 disc, or selling the 3-disc set)?

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

Yeah but when was the last time a multi-disc set (Black Hawk Down, LOTR, Dawn Of The Dead) was on sale for less than $20? I'm sure it happens but that's the cost of not waiting months (or years) to save $5.

Brett_B

Supporting Actor

This may not be too far off, which may help drive the price of the 3-disc set down for me. :D

Quick edit: After doing a little bit of research, the only available edition will be this new 3-disc edition. Previous edition is OOP. There is definitely a chance that we could see a major price drop before next year.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
AFAIK, the only NTSC 4 disc version will be R4, Mexico or Brazil.(but no DTS) R3 is getting the 3 disc I believe. Niko, sweden is PAL, yes? Why not go for the higher res. UK R2 4 disc? speedup?

:)

Niko Nykanen

Stunt Coordinator
PAL yes. And speedup. :thumbsdown: I will enjoy the movie on a 104" screen with NTSC (as with all my movies) despite PAL´s slightly higher resolution.

I suppose I will have to check out the parodies at someones place instead.
Not to mention the 3 minute trailer that was something special too. I ran that trailer a thousand times at the theater I work in. Would be nice to have that one on dvd..
:frowning:

Yeah well. (Maybe on bluray?)

James_Garner

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
James Garner

According to DVDFile.com there are TWO easter eggs, and those two are Parodies that everyone here assumed to be only available on the overseas 4-disc verson because of "rights issues" (Scott, check your review copy to be sure this is correct}:

1. On the Marketing menu page, select the newspaper on the lower right and you’ll be rewarded with a clever clip in which Ben Stiller and Vince Vaughn take a meeting with James Cameron to pitch a rather bizarre idea.

2.On the last deleted scenes menu page, you’ll find a vague outline of a couple directly to the right of “29.” Select it and you’ll find a Saturday Night Live satire (4:50) of the film’s climax followed by a cameo by James Cameron.

James Luckard

Second Unit
Real Name
James Luckard
Well, looks like Paramount and Fox will be getting the maximum cash from me. I'll buy the Paramount US version so I have a copy I can watch on any player, with the best sound, but I'll get a copy of the Mexican 4-disc set somehow, so that I'll have the trailers, even though I'll only be able to watch it on my cheapo regionless player. I was hoping this disc would end up being a retailer exclusive, but I love the movie too much to pass on that 4th disc.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks