What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Titanic - Special Collector's Edition (Highly Recommended) (2 Viewers)

Kevin P.

Auditioning
All this talk about the Titanic is making me hungry (not literally). I just got some email yesterday that the DVD has been shipped and will be here within 5-10 days! I can't wait the long, but it will have to do. The quality looks amazing so far and I'm looking foward to it a lot. What dissapoints me is the fact the same day I purchased the R1 set, I discovered that Fox was selling the R2 (or European verison) with 4 discs! Damn, I REALLY wanted to see all those trailers, spoofs and stills in the ''still'' gallery. But bah, who cares!

Kain_C

Screenwriter
So are the motion menus long and overdone or are they to the point like I like them? I have a feeling since it's Van Ling it's gonna be the former. The guy is talented no doubt, but I loathe seeing half the movie before I can select 'play'.

I was having a tough time deciding on buying this one since I had and later sold the first version. I don't typically like sappy love stories but the SFX, the Titanic wreck, and especially my darling Kate make this a must buy.

Jonny_L

Stunt Coordinator
I can't wait to get my copy. :D

Plus a new THX trailer? that's interesting. Keep the information flowing Scott.

Kevin P.

Auditioning
I LOVED Kate Winslet's perfomance in the first part of the film. Especially the rude, but sarcastic comment to Bruce Ismay of the ''male preoccupation with size''! Best dialogue in the whole entire movie. I disliked her after the ship begins to sink though. Especially when a;; she says is ''Jack!'' (while Leo says ''Rose!''). I always wanted to finish seeing Heavenly Creatures. Although I never completed it, I like Kate's character a lot better than that of this film and she looks VERY sexy in blonde too. But then again, the only reason I like Titanic was for the historical background behind it. Had they not used it OR put money into the SPFX, I think it be the biggest POS ever made.

However, it did not deserve the backlash, even if it is FLAWED in so many ways. Neither does Kate deserve comments about being ''overweight'' or ''obsesity''. Something little arrogant pricks (or rabid Titanic trolls/haters say) like to poke fun at.

:thumbsdown:

DanR

Supporting Actor
I hear ya. I call it looking healthy. In fact, isnt that how women are supposed to look, or at least looked back in those days? I don't like the whole anorexic look of today.

In any event, I hope someday we'll see the full length documentary that Cameron nixed.

Regards,
Dan

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
"Can't wait to see this transfer with the extra 100 lines of resolution that PAL offers!"

"That's not a guarentee though."

Well the extra 100 lines for the PAL version is a given, 576 vs. 480. Whether they use those extra 100 well is the question but they are still there. And I would assume that they will take it from the same hi-def master so it should look sharper. No reason to overfilter the PAL transfer. After comparing the LOTR EE sets, (NO contest BTW) I hopefully am in for a treat. And the 4th disc. Still pissed at Paramount for cutting that out of the set here.

:) d

Kevin P.

Auditioning

Women back in 1912 were indeed similar to Rose (in terms of size, looks and etc...) and were somewhat smaller than the average man. I think Katie gets so much crap about being ''obese'' or ''overweight'' is in a interview she made a comment about her and her family being a big eaters and some us this as the reason. That or how awfully ''chubby'' she looks during the sinking scenes (and awfully pale too). But whatever, she's perfectly fine and those who do have problems with her appearance must be insecured about themselves.

Jon_Liu

Stunt Coordinator
which THX intro is it? is it the Science one or is the Bounty one? The one with all of the audio clips from the different movies like alien, fight club, star wars?

I'm curious, cause I am hoping that it is the Bounty trailer!

Dave Vaughn

Stunt Coordinator
It's not the one with clips from movies. It is a science of sound or something like that. I watched it two nights ago and just remember being disappointed that it wasn't the trailer that we saw with Episode III...maybe the Episode III trailer will have another "new" trailer.

Dave

Jace_A

Second Unit

Cameron himself pulled the documentary. The film was, by all accounts, a nightmare to make and there were many in the cast and crew who vowed never to work with Cameron again (including Winslet). I presume a number of these criticisms found there way into the documentary and Cameron acted accordingly.

Alistair_M

Second Unit
Is there a good resource (website/book) that details the nightmare production of Titanic - I'd like to read it! Particularily why Kate won't work with Cameron again etc.

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter

I never read the portions of DVD reviews focusing on the film itself. It is not what I read DVD reviews for. Anything more than a couple of paragraphs is a colossal waste of effort on the part of the reviewer, IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks