What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Titanic - Special Collector's Edition (Highly Recommended) (1 Viewer)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I'm okay with Cameron re-inserting some [or all] of the scenes at a later date...it will give me incentive to re-purchase the HD version of Titanic Extended Edition on Blu-Ray or HD-DVD :D

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
The theatrical version of Titanic is the only version approved by James Cameron. He has stated numerous times that he wil NOT re-edit the deleted scenes back into the film, and if you listen to his commentary during those scenes, you will know why.

He pretty much clearly stated why they were removed by him. I doubt he is going to change his mind.

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
Guys, please keep in mind that some of us would (at least one day) like the OPTION of seeing these scenes integrated back into the film.

That's all - the option. The fact that we won't have that choice is a bit of a letdown in itself... Why keep slamming it? Why keep saying things like, 'The theatrical version is the only version...so stop wishing for anything else, because what Cameron says is gold'?
Obviously that wasn't a word-for-word quote, but that seemed to be the general idea behind many of the comments. Hell, if I could I would cut those scenes back in- just out of curiosity.

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
thedigitalbits.com has a mention of the pixel problem on Disc 1 on its site.

I myself have not noticed this problem at all, either on my flat screen PC monitor or 27" flat screen tv. I looked very closely, going frame by frame through the scene, and saw nothing. It is said to have affected all discs, but I see nothing in mine.

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
If I remember correctly none of his SE's are actual Directors cut, just extended cuts so its not like he's against that type of thing.

JimChan

Stunt Coordinator

You must be a lucky guy. The error appears on my PC as well as my TV and I noticed it quite easily. Basically, once you noticed it, it is impossible to avoid it.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
Extended or not, if it means $$$$$$$ for the studio, GUESS WHAT !!!!!! The ULTIMATE EDITION ARRIVES, look at the "ALIEN" series !!!!!!! Or "THE EXORCIST, THE VERSION YOU HAVE NEVER SEEN". I for one, would have like to have had the option of seeing the deleted scenes branched for watching.
Thanks for listening,
Alan

WillG

Senior HTF Member

For "Aliens" he does state that the Special Edition cut is the one he prefers. It sounds like that qualifies as being a director's cut even though it's not labeled as such.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

Easy Nicholas, didn't mean to offend. I enjoyed the deleted scenes, but think they were rightfully deleted.

Would I buy Titanic with them inserted back in?

Absolutely.

I'm just not holding my breath.;)

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
Didn't Cameron approve and extended edition that he showed on TV?

What is the problem with allowing that version?

And it smells like Cameron is just being stubborn because he would never admit that he made those cuts due to studio pressure. Anyone who followed the trials and tribulation during the filming should be able to attest.

To me, I would have made the film shorter by a good 40 minutes, so I don't mind too much, just want the option.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

Not true. He took out those scenes as a result of test screenings and time issues. In the making of Titanic book by Paula Parisi, it is documented time and time again how Cameron refused to cut what the studio wanted.

He cut what HE wanted.

Geoff_D

Supporting Actor
Just got this, and I'm still reeling from the power of the dts track. The film itself still gets me every time, and seeing that beautiful ship set sail again brought a tear to my eye. I hadn't seen the movie in a few years, and had never bought it on DVD, only on laserdisc, and I was pleased to see that the disc break occurs in the exact same place it happens on the LD. I still remember where the other side breaks were, and to not have to put up with those is a treat!

It's the 4-disc R2 edition I've gone for, just for that extra stuff, but there's very little extra content of note apart from a few trailers. It's a fantastic set let down only by the lack of a decent documentary. And I do hope we can see a longer version some day. I don't want to see an extended edition because it'd be a better film as, Abyss aside, Cameron's other 'Special Editions' are markedly inferior. But such is the breathtaking scope and utterly immersive (no pun intended) quality of Cameron's vision that a longer cut would allow fans of this great ship to spend a little more time with her. Maybe one day...

EnricoE

Supporting Actor

doug, can you please clarify which dvd you're talking about? afaik is the 4min trailer nowhere to be found in 16x9 but you can prove me wrong :D

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Well, there certainly isn't a 16x9 trailer on the R1 set.

Doug Schiller

Supporting Actor
I meant transfer. Must have fat fingered it. Also, I thought the extended cut was going to be released, I was wrong again!

Sorry.

Dennis*G

Supporting Actor
Except for 2 - 4 deleted scenes, I'm glad the rest never made it into the film.

Also of note, I did not see the pixel error while watching, but I was not trying to find it either. Watching on a 30" widscreen, so the smaller size I'm sure helped.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.

only 200 posts later.

just kidding.

i was hoping for an xt cut.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
thinksinc
Recent bookmarks