What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Titanic - Special Collector's Edition (Highly Recommended) (1 Viewer)

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I don't have the energy to go into this too deeply this early on a Saturday, but as many of you know i'm a Titanic nut and I must say that I couldn't be happier about this release, a long time coming.

With the two audio tracks, I actually prefer the DTS because of the more prominant surround activity, the DD track does feature more accentuated LFE, but IMO the DTS trac features tremendous LFE as well as the surround frenzy, so it's the better of the two on my system anyway. The rumble of the ship during the sailing scenes on the boat deck give me chills!

I also saw that pixel on Jack's face, big deal.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino

I did too for the longest time.

The trick is to first click right, then click down.

That should do it.

Chad Ferguson

Supporting Actor
Maybe the other regions haven't been released yet but I was curious if anyone had a chance to see that 4th disc yet?

Jing_B

Stunt Coordinator
i tried to access the easter eggs but so far i only got the James Cameron, Ben Stiller and Vince Vaughn interview. Mind you i have the Canadian release in hands, is there a change in the Easter eggs too?

Nick Martin

Senior HTF Member
No change in Easter egg location from the U.S. - we just get that HORRIBLE bilingual cover. It should be in both languages separately...together it looks so cheap, and betrays the idea of it being in a special case.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
I just bought this DVD. I am disappointed that I can not watch the deleted scenes in the context of the film. That is the one reason I bought this set. I wanted to view the entire film. Deleted scenes and all. Anyone know the reason, why it was done with the deleted scenes on a separate disc ?? I am bummed. They did it with the "RAY" film. Or was this a ploy to get us to buy another version down the road .......... "THE ULTIMATE FULL VERSION OF TITANIC" ?????????

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal
Cameron himself said there will not be another DVD, and there will be no extended cut or one with seamlessly branched out scenes either.

Considering there are close to 10 audio tracks on each disc, plus subtitles and the pod features, I highly doubt that the deleted scenes could havce been included and PQ kept as good as it was. If the deleted scenes were added, something would have had to been let out. I think we should be glad they were included at all. I for one could care less if they were put into the film to be viewed speararely, like they were with Ray. For one, Ray's use of this feature was done very sloppily and not a good example of how to do it right. It would work well with this release since the PQ looks great and all the scenes are complete, but then again it was never announced in the offical specs this would occur anyway.

Mike Williams

Screenwriter
The theatrical version of "Titanic" IS the entire film. What was released is what James Cameron deemed the final cut of the film. After seeing the deleted scenes, while there are a couple I would have liked to see back in the film, I have to agree with Cameron's initial decision to remove them. So I'm glad to have the finished film as it was, and I'm glad to have the deleted scenes with finished effects and in anamorphic widescreen to view on their own.

Since all the scenes have handles to show where they would appear in the film, I am thinking of making my own re-edit and including ALL the deleted scenes, minus the alternate ending, just for kicks.

JoshB

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joshua Bal

I'd like to see that version Mike, whenever you get it done. :)

It could be pretty interesting, since the quality of the deleted scenes matches that of the finished film, which is pretty rare.

TravisR

Senior HTF Member

I wonder how many of those scenes actually needed to be finished? I guess a few of the transitions from modern day to 1912 needed to be finished. And since I'm sure it was quickly apparent that it was the wrong time for a joke, the scene with Molly Brown asking for ice as they hit the iceberg might have never been fully completed. I wonder if there were any other scenes. Maybe they also meant finishing them in the sense of properly editing the scenes too.

I think the deleted scenes are best seen as supplements. There's one or two scenes that actually add to the movie and the rest just drag the story off in unneccesary directions. There's some great scenes and I'm happy to see them but outside the movie.

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter

If you are really crafty with a computer you could just rip the movie to the harddrive and put the deleted scenes back in. I haven't watched the deleted scenes yet so I don't know what the picture or sound quality is like.

AlanP

Screenwriter
Real Name
BAP
THE DELETED SCENES ARE FLAWLESS, and WOULD FIT PERFECTLY back into the film. I remember reading a year or so after,the initial release,
that Cameron, would in the future re-release (in theaters) with the film restored with deleted scenes in tact.

Paul Anthony

Stunt Coordinator
I just saw the deleted scenes, and they were excellent! :emoji_thumbsup: I really wish Cameron had put the scenes back in the film, and not separately. Especially the Carpathia scene, and when Rose enters 3rd class to look for Jack. However, I did not like the alternate ending, it really loses the emotion of the ending. But, it was a treat to watch! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks