What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: The Wizard Of Oz - Three-Disc Collector's Edition (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED). (1 Viewer)

Arnie G

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Arnie Douglas
I'm getting this release regardless of the differences. I just wish it was a slam dunk without all of the controversy.:frowning:

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

Very true.

We can't confirm the correct color by assuming that a "white" house should look "white". That's only true if the film-makers wanted the house to look white in the projected print.

Very often filmmakers adjust color timing and use filters to modify color presentation in a number of ways. In fact, it's more the rule than the exception.

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson

What?

All right then which is correct Red Or Blue if not white like you see in other shots of the same house?

I give! Lets be happy with this Red tinted presentation Of The Wizard Of OZ cuz it looks more pleasing to the eye then the Blue tinted version!
:rolleyes:

Done!

Wes

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Actually...I never said we should be happy with either version because it "looks more pleasing to the eye"...

;)

..My hope is that we could be happy because folks who have some familiarity with actual prints of this film say that the new version gets the color more like what the projected image is supposed to be.

:emoji_thumbsup:

hehe.

Yes...I get how stupid it sounds to say that a white house shouldn't necessarily be white. What I mean is that if any color balance modification had been intended by the director at all...that white would most certainly no longer be "white", and so one can't just watch movies and use an "is white stuff really white?" rule to evaluate the transfer.

As an example...

Watching Erin Brokovich, I don't think there's a single instance of true-white in the entire film. Everything that is "white" in real life is an orange-cream-pink in the movie...and that's the way the director wanted it...it's as if all the colors have been filtered to look like the sun is setting with light bouncing off the cloud cover. That film is an extreme example but even minor color balance modification is common for many movies and in all cases it shifts "white" away from true-white.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I know exactly what you mean, David. The night scenes in Terminator 2 have a distinct blue look to them. It wouldn't make sense to try to fix them to acheive a "neutral" black.

Mark B

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mark
Re: White

Remember that Judy Garland's "white" shirt under the pinafore was in reality a shade of yellow in order to come off as white through the Technicolor process, so...

DeeF

Screenwriter
But isn't it perfectly possible that some prints (in 1939) were bluer and some were pinker and some were yellower? I think... we may be demanding an actual standard that doesn't exist (at least on these older movies).

Wes

Screenwriter
Real Name
Wes Peterson
Yes I know filters and I know intent but I also know we have two different color tints here of the intire film (not just a piticular scene). I'm assuming the Director was not involved with restorations as I doubt he would have stated the blue tint was correct for the first release and the Red was ok for the new.

I never said you Dave that stated it was more pleasing, it was another Pro new restoration advocate on here that said that!

Wes

Nils Luehrmann

Senior HTF Member
Or how about The Matrix which is green, Payback which is blue, and S1m0ne which the cinematographer used a broad spectrum of various color filter lenses.

That said, the use of colored filters for these types of dramatic artistic effect is a relatively new practice or at least it hasn't been as popular as it is today. Personally, I don't believe this new transfer or Warner's latest transfer of Ben-Hur represent the original presentations as accurately as they could have been.

I'm surprised no one seems terribly bothered by the cropping on this new Oz edition.

As a loyal fan of Warner bros, while I am disappointed in these latest releases, part of the problem is that they have set a high standard. In addition, considering the previous editions were done not long ago, one might have hopped for a significant improvement with greater attention to the finer details of the presentation.

On the bright side, these are both titles that would look marvelous in 1080p, and thus I am still holding out hope that Warner will address the issues and release editions worthy of these great classic films.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I saw a dye-transfer print of Oz in a theater and the new DVD looks extremely close to it. So what if different restorations are not identical? If the original photochemical restoration couldn't get the colors just right because of technology issues, does it mean we're stuck with it forever?

Knowing how WB used an original 1939 dye-transfer print of Gone with the Wind for its digital restoration, they probably did the same for Oz. I don't want what's pleasing to the eye, I want what it's supposed to look like.

DeeF

Screenwriter
Mmm, according to the documentary on the new disk, this Oz was taken directly from the original negatives. No print was brought in.

They actually show what a composite made from the onegs would look like. It looks ridiculous -- saturated with so much color that Judy's face is practically pure magenta.

At some point in the process, somebody is choosing the saturation levels, the hues, etc. Somebody is *choosing* what this film will look like.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Something I meant to comment on first thing this morning but forgot to. After reading this thread yesterday and Mr. Harris' thread I decided to pop in the Warner Bros disc last night. Looks pretty dang good. They really did a nice job on it then. I think the improvements might be less obvious since the older dvd looks great too.

Real Name
Anthony
Got to say, I don't have a lot of pity for people who flog their DVDs on e-bay the minute they hear of a new release. Anyone who reads this forum regularly should know that's a risky business.

Obviously what's happening here is that some people prefer the colour on the last release, be it "right" or "wrong". So watch your old one. For me, the presentation and extras are enough to justify a double-dip.

Of course, here in the UK, we've given up using our teeth to measure whites. The Yellow Brick Road is another story . . . ;)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

Do you mean the previous Oz DVD? The new one wasn't sourced from a print at all...just the digital composition of the 3-strip negatives.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
Agreed, especially considering how big a deal was made of the fact that the new Ben Hur disc doesn't have the cropping of the old one.

Lyle_JP

Screenwriter

No original dye transfer print was used for the transfer itself, but one was used as a reference for the color timing.

-Lyle J.P.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks