What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: The War of the Worlds (1953) - Special Collector's Edition (Recommended) (1 Viewer)

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
It's important to note that, in 1979, Wise was only hampered by time. Finishing the film, for him, included finishing special effects only as they would have been able to do at the time.

He was very specific in not using modern digital techniques to alter the look of the movie, but simply making it the best that they could have made it in 1979.

That's a big difference.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter

There is also a historical aspect to this argument.

If Michaelangelo and DaVinci had today's tools, their work would have been completely different. Does that mean we should reinterpret their work, eliminating the technological restrictions of their day? In fact, we do - to a certain extent - when artisans "restore" the works of these great artists. There is some reinterpretation going on. It is always controversial.

In the case of WotW, modern craftsmen were able to revitalize faded and damaged prints, returning the work to a state that closely resembles the original work. They did this while respecting the work's historical look and perspective.

I am a filmmaker myself. I've done some animation, some documentary work, commercials, industrials, etc. The very first film I made was an animated film - made by stop motion. I used wires to hold models, and they were visible. If there were any surviving prints today (sadly, there aren't), I - as the creator - would have a problem with someone else removing the wires - the limitation of the time and budget when the film was made. It changes the character of the work. Seeing the wires, to some degree, explains the movement - intended or not. The wires are historically significant (much less so in my animation than in The War of the Worlds, obviously) - they tell the story of how the effect was achieved. If you start by removing wires, it's only a matter of time before you attack the next element that had a technological limitation.

Where do you stop? If it is okay to remove wires, is it okay to remix a classic soundtrack? How about digitally stabilizing handheld shots made before the steadycam? How about colorization?

Classic films are defined by the time in which they are made. They should not be altered.

-Scott

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
While I see the points of both sides of the arguement, and respect all opinions, I personally fall on the "would be nice not to see the wires" side for the reasons stated.

To draw on the Lucas analogy...I disliked it when he reworked the Han-shoot first scene, but I didn't mind him removing the visible matte-lines around the space-ships.

Certainly preferences like this fall into the realm of personal opinion, and I think it's healthy that there are folks who disagree with me and advocate for the preservation of such artifacts of film production...it keeps the "digital restoration" philosophy in check.

very true. Which is why I respect your position too!

:D

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter

Heh... if you look in my profile, you'll see that one of the things I do with my life involves digital imaging. I am a strong advocate for working in the digital space.

I think, though, when it comes to modern artisans tampering with classic works, preservation and restoration are where their responsibilities should end. The historical significance is too important.

I guess we can agree to disagree... ;)

-Scott

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
I think modern prints of this film - starting with the re-release in the 70s - have been too light during those night sequences. I've seen footage from original Technicolor prints and it's very difficult to make out the wires.

Bryan Tuck

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan Tuck
Thanks for the review, Scott. I actually haven't seen this in years, but I've been wanting to revisit it. Sounds like a good deal.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
This was my second or third disc with the locking security tabs on the case, but it was the first to instruct (on the security sticker) me to break off the tabs. I never would have thought to do that on my own. :b

Kevin M

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kevin Ray
Great review, Scott. :emoji_thumbsup:
A question, does the stereo track decode well through Pro-Logic II or is it best to stick with stereo?

James Edward

Supporting Actor

I'm not Scott, but I thought the transfer was excellent. Granted, I have a 65" screen, not gigantic, but I think anyone viewing this film will be very happy with the PQ.

MichaelScott

Stunt Coordinator
Just getting to read this, and have to say I fall into the Scott camp on the strings issue. My thinking on this is that you give them an inch they will take a mile, once you open the flood gates to messing around with older classics, and with other peoples work you open a whole can of worms I don't think even you pro change people would like. Do you really think they would stop at the strings?..look around the film industry now they would change everything they could if it would make them a buck, there is no real respect for these films as art or for the creators who made them, these are the same studios who have no problem changing music, adding color,release in full screen, etc..
Classic films are time capsules of the era, like rare museum pieces that need to be admired for what they are and were then. We live in a society of what's bigger and bolder is better with no respect for what came before, and I hate that... I bet you would be surprised how many people don't even notice those strings who are actually just enjoying the film/story...that's the magic of movies. The day they start really changing things in classic films is the day I stop buying them.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Agreed that if there are concerns for making a mistake, it's better to err on the side of changing too little than changing too much.

MikeEckman

Screenwriter
I already own the WotW CAV Laserdisc and love the movie, so I'll definitely pick up this new SE since its only $8.99 at Circuit City.

Regarding the strings...

While I do agree that if Pal had the technology that we do today, he would have preferred to not have the strings visible, I think that seeing the strings sorta adds to the whole look of the "50s Sci-Fi" feel of the movie. Back then we didn't have great special effects, and people had to jump through hoops to accomplish what we would consider to be very simple tasks by todays standards. Back then, they couldnt fire up a digital processor or use CGI to create effects. If they wanted to do something, they had to figure out what they needed to do to accomplish what they wanted.

For one, I like seeing the strings. Not only is it a reminder of how far we've come, it is also a remnant of a time when having a perfectly clean look to a film wasn't necessary to make a good movie. I prefer the cheesy special effects but great story of the 1960 version of The Time Machine as opposed to the great special effects, and insultingly stupid remake. Same thing goes for Planet of the Apes and its terrible remake. A great story doesn't need modern special effects to be effective (pun intended).

Kudos to Paramount (and Warner with the new Wizard of Oz) for NOT altering these classics and leaving in things like strings and wires!

ZackR

Supporting Actor
I for one prefer that such wires, etc NOT be removed using modern means. Though I understand the rationale completely, I personally would rather them be left alone. Lie David said though, things like this come down more to persona opinion than anything else.

I will be watching this new WotW disc tonight. I cannot wait. Might have to have a triple feature if I am in the mood to stay up late -

War of the Worlds
This Island Earth
Forbidden Planet

:D

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Zack,

if you were in the DC area I'd talk you into joining my dad and me for a sci-fi fest in my HT this friday. When Worlds Collide is also a great DVD...and looks awesome on the projector.

ZackR

Supporting Actor
When Worlds Collide? I have not seen that in forever. I had totally forgotten about it. I need to run out and see if I can pick it up. David, I would love to join you for your sci-fi fest. Too bad I am in Montgomery, AL. I hope you guys have a great time though!! :)

Todd Robertson

Second Unit

I'm still having a little trouble making that out atop the tree. But yeah...great doc and story.

As for the wires....they need to remain for all the reasons stated. Remove those and the next thing people will want is for the fur on Kong's body fixed so you can't tell someone just had fingers there.:thumbsdown:

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell

I believe a comment is made on the Dante/et al commentary that the printing methods of the day, made the strings much less visible. It seems to me that this latest transfer is not true to the filmakers intent. They did not want, or expect the strings to be so visible.

I know that on the previous dvd, the strings were much harder to see.

In this case, I would agree with either transfering it to dvd as it was released theatrically, or digitally removing the strings. The former to be preferred over the latter.

Either one of these, IMHO, is closer to the film maker's intent that what is on the dvd.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks