What's new

DVD Review HTF Review: The Village (Recommended) (1 Viewer)

WilliamG

Supporting Actor
While I enjoyed The Village, I was one of the many who went in to the theater 'looking for clues' from the start. I think that spoiled the movie for me a little bit. I found I couldn't enjoy it as much. Don't get me wrong, I DID enjoy the movie, but only after coming home and thinking on it for a while. It was different. Different from what we've come to expect from Shyamalan as a writer/director. But I still was disappointed in a way. I'm hoping that he doesn't become (or ISN'T) a 'one-trick pony'.
My wife and fellow movie-goer loved the movie. She wasn't bothered by the reveal or the manner in which it happened.

As far as favorites, Unbreakable was not.:) It's the only one that I had to explain to my wife. And I also didn't catch the 'superhero' thing until it was too late. Sitting in my seat as the credits rolled and piecing the story together right before the lights came up.

The Sixth Sense
Signs
The Village
Unbreakable

NickRHave

Agent
I have to say that I found this movie pretty silly. Maybe if I watch it again I'll enjoy it more. I have to say that Signs is my favorite of his movies. The way he tackles the whole faith issue is amazing.

Excellent review of what I consider the worst film of the year (and I did see Catwoman). The acting (Bryce Dallas Howard aside) and dialogue were so laughably bad that it was impossible for me not to cringe throughout this entire disaster of a movie. William Hurt, Sigourney Weaver, Joaquin Phoenix, and Adrien Brody completely embarrassed themselves with this piece of crap as far as I'm concerned, and M. Night Shyamalan's reputation took a major blow as well.

I thought Signs was incredible. At the moment, I consider it Night's best film (though my opinion on that often alternates between Signs and The Sixth Sense).

Unbreakable is far from being his best film or a masterpiece, but I enjoyed it. It was good, solid entertainment. However, anyone who didn't see Sam Jackson as the main villian
must be blind, because this was obviouslya super hero movie
from the get-go. Although, to be fair, I was pretty much looking for a twist after seeing Sixth Sense.

My Top 3 Night movies:

1. Signs
2. The Sixth Sense
3. Unbreakable

I refuse to list Village because it's not worthy of being on a "top list."

DonnyD

Screenwriter
This WAS a great looking movie with excellent camera work and some significant dramatics at certain times in order to create and add to the suspense.

About substance, since I've been kinda letdown with previous Shyamalan work, perhaps I didn't expect much but I was pleasently surprised..... I did expect more "supernatural" stuff and was I got was certainly something else that grabbed me even better.

I really liked the camera work and shows someone went to great lengths to make it that way.

I have a 55" HD TV and sit approximately 10 feet away from the screen and this picture is very good and ranks up there with the best of them although I usually do not watch movies trying to pic out a bad transfer or something. While I do appreciate a well made and well filmed movie, I appreciate it more for its presentation and where it may lead us.

Signs is probably still my fav since it deals with some real "horror" subject but the Village is just as much a horror movie in its own right.

I, too, highly recommend it.

ToddJ

Second Unit
I think I am the only person here who thinks "the Sixth Sense" was overrated. I predicted the ending early on because it seemed like another movie I had seen awhile back called Jacob's Ladder.
Ironically, the ending for "the Village", I never guessed.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
David, my previous post referenced the discussion thread link for this film in the movie area. There's over 300 post in that thread, and this thread's post about the film just goes over the same points as that thread. Perhaps we'll move the posts in this thread to that thread, but, will need to ruminate on it.

Paul Padilla

Supporting Actor
In retrospect I'm sure I could have, but I chose to let the story reveal itself to me. I'm already upset with myself for the suspense movie expectations that I had...though I blame most of that on the ad campaign.

I'll still look forward to MNS's next film.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
Paul, you should spoilerize that bit about the ending in your post. I completely agree with the bulk of your post:

My only disagreement is that I don't like popcorn. :D

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Hey all,

let's take Patrick's heed and try to restrict "movie discussion" to the thread in the movie's forum:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...hreadid=206366

and keep this thread focused on technical issues regarding the DVD release from this point onward...that way the discussion will stay streamlined and we'll lessen the risk of spoiling the movie-watching experience for first-time viewers who are reading this review thread ahead of purchasing the title (Paul, you may want to revise your comments slightly...some of your remarks give a little too much away IMO about some key issues. BTW, agree with your thoughts on how to approach watching this movie)...

The disc should be in-hand now for many of you so let's hear it. I'd love to hear your comments about the audio especially. Any Front-Projection folks want to chime-in about the image quality?

Charles J P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
CJ Paul
Paul, I've never thought of it that way, but I think we have a similar philosophy. I guess I look at it this way... I'd rather enjoy 90% of the movies I see the first time (even if they have no rewatch value because they are nothing special) than nitpick them apart the first time I see them just to have the ability to feel more distinguished than the average Joe Blow that contributes (to the afficianoados chagrin) to the huge box office rake of lesser films.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
With regards to David's query regarding other's opinions of the transfer:

I viewed the DVD yesterday evening via a Panasonic AE700 displaying on a 106" Da-Lite High Power Screen, at a sitting distance of 1.5 screen widths. Personally, I consider Roger Deakins to be one of the best cinematographers currently working. I really admired the overall visual design of this film in terms of its color palette and lighting and thought that the DVD did a splendid job of delivering the films "look" to the home viewer, especially in terms of color saturation and reproduction.

The only objectionable aspect of the transfer was some intermittent haloing. For me, the most noticeable instance was a Tombstone-esqe edge appearing against the top of the lookout tower in an early scene of the film, near dusk. I believe that the lighting of this scene made this ringing more prominent. This was the only time that ringing really stood out for me during the viewing of the DVD. There were a few other instances, but most were not that intrusive.

Certainly the DVD's transfer appears 'smoother' than some of the recent Miramax releases. As David mentioned in his review, perhaps due to this being a Touchstone release?

- Walter.

Paul Padilla

Supporting Actor
Sorry, Haggi and DaViD...consider it done. I didn't think I was revealing anything specific.

But I can't abide popcorn intolerance. ;)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Walter Kittel,

:emoji_thumbsup:

I'm using a DaLite HiPower with my BenQ 8700+ projector so we've got the same screen. Is your PJ ceiling or table-mounted? Mine's sitting on the table to try to get the most brightness out of the image (would have gotten a firehawk and ceiling mounted had I had the $$ but I'm very happy and actually *amazed* at the hipower's performance given it's very, very affordable price...)

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
David,

My AE700 is setting on the topmost shelf of a bookcase behind my seating (at approx. 18' from the screen.) I considered a table mount to better utilize the screen's reflective properties, but I really like having the projector out of the way. The AE700 is bright enough that the current mount position, while not optimal with respect to my screen, still delivers a very satisfying image. (I am also a big fan of the Da-Lite High Power screen, which was initially purchased on Bill Cushman's recommendation when I had my Sony VPL-W400Q.)

- Walter.

TedT

Second Unit
That's why I hate it when I hear a movie has a "twist ending". That in itself ruins the movie for me. I seem to be one of the few people on the 'net that actually like to be surprised.

I'm also surprised about how many people loved "Unbreakable"! I remember when it came out, everyone ripped on it! I love all of M. Knights films. He IS the Hitchcock of our generation.

1. Signs
2. Sixth Sense
3. The Village
4. Unbreakable

Michael Caicedo

Second Unit
Real Name
Michael Caicedo
Sorry, a little late to this thread but I just got the chance to pick up this dvd last night. Love Night's work and this movie, but the transfer I would have to say was a bit subpar. I found the haloing or ee just a bit distracting and thought there was a lack of detail in the transfer. I checked the bitrate a few times and seemed like it was between 4.5mb and 6.5mb. Perhaps too long a movie and too many extras crammed into the one disc.
By the way David, I also have a Hi-Powew setup. Very happy with it even though it's a ceiling mounted pj.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

Actually...the bit-rate even as it stands could still produce a more detailed image...it's BV's practice of *filtering* their images prior to/during compression that is the real problem...

And don't think it's because these guys are smart and know what they're doing...there have been "tests" done by Bjeorn where he's taken the HD original, downconverted to 720 x 480 resolution and done his own MPEG 2 compression at the same bit-rate as what was on the comercial DVD (LOTR fellowship) and came out with a much more detailed image that STILL HAD NO ARTIFACTING!!!! Seems the studios just "filter" because they think that they have to...the same reason that tack on that edge-enhancement. :rolleyes

Anyway...it's important to say this bcs it's *not* the fault of "too much on the disc"...it's the fault of filtering...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks