What's new

DVD Review HTF Review: The Thing - From Another World (1 Viewer)

Terry Hickey

Second Unit
Real Name
Terry Hickey
I thought the transfer was pretty good, not the most pristine, but it's better than when I first saw it on television back in the late 50's, early 60's.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert

Just further proof that Warner or any other studio can't make everybody happy. Also, those two examples you stated in your post doesn't mean that other elements weren't used as well as no restoration took place for this dvd.

Crawdaddy

Philip Verdieck

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Philip Verdieck
I'd also like to repeat a tip from that other thread that anyone wanting to read the original story would be well-served by getting the outstanding compilation Reel Future, which was published by Barnes and Noble but can be had used for less than $2 through Amazon. The book compiles the original stories for many sci-fi films and is highly compelling.
Indeed a good idea. A better one is to track down The Visions of John W. Campbell. Available used at Amazon.

What unfortunately few realize is that we have John W. Campbell to thank for Science Fiction as we know it. He guided and tutored young writers through his various editor positions at the science fiction periodicals of the era. I am talking about Heinlein, Asimov and many others.

Jim Blackie

Stunt Coordinator
... the film feeds off of intellect and suspense rather than gore and EFX. Unlike many of the movies of that era that portrayed actors running amok in alien creature costumes...The Thing only allows rare glimpses of the visitor from space, one of which is a scene involving plenty of gasoline and fire...which looked to be a very scary stunt with the actors in such close proximity!
"I think you're right, Captain." ;)

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
I have this film on two other discs; a Japanese DVD and a LD. Of the three discs the Japanese DVD has the worst transfer. It is not very sharp & there are a lot of problems with contrast & brightness levels. The Laserdisc is a much better transfer than the Japanese DVD, but it also has some problems with contrast & brightness levels, but not as bad as the Japanese DVD. This new WB DVD is the absolute best that I've ever seen it look. Could it have been better? Maybe, but that is speculation. I'm really happy with this transfer considering... I'm fairly unhappy that there was a lack of extras. This films place in Sci-Fi movie history merits some extras. WB's efforts with extras for these 8/5/03 Sci-Fi/horror releases seems to be hit & miss.

John Sparks

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Sparks
Just further proof that Warner or any other studio can't make everybody happy. Also, those two examples you stated in your post doesn't mean that other elements weren't used as well as no restoration took place for this dvd.

No, WB didn't make me happy. I didn't want my LD print cleaned up somewhat!

I wanted a full restoration and extras, nothing less, they can do it with other films, why not this one!

My two examples are proof that they used the LD print. I'm sure you have access to a LD player and can see for yourself. The only other elements they used was the LD print, period.

They used the LD print for "Mystery of the Wax Museum" and cleaned it up somewhat...see my examples at DVDTalkforum.com/House of Wax for particulars.

I don't know if you ever owned LD's, but for us LD owners, it's hard to upgrade when some flick comes out that we already have and it hasn't been restored but for someone who has it on...VHS...yikes!...it's quite a step up!

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I fear to enter this argument, but I'll throw this in. :)

I took a quick sampling of the LD from image and the DVD. I have not seen the LD in a very long time. I forgot how nice the packaging was for the 1991 Collectors Edition. The gatefolds and historical text about the making of the movie is nice to see and the very nice plastic tray that holds the LD was a hoot as it looks like a giant DVD snapper case.

While the transfer does indeed look to have the same scratches and like film blemishes on both discs, LD and DVD, it looks great on the DVD. John Sparks comments has me asking, with such an old film, does it not follow that the source material for this film and others, is a piece of film, a negative(?) that already has the blemishes. So to find a source material that has no scratches could simply have been impossible. There may have been some digital clean up for the DVD release and that was all they could do within their budget and means. I think it looks terrific! The LD I have actually has tons of video noise, little specks flashing across the screen early on. And contrast and black levels are greatly improved on the DVD.

My 2 cents, I have no complaints.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Robert is right. If you see an artifact on a video transfer and then see an artifact on another video transfer, it does not mean that they were transferred from the same element or tell you anything about whether restoration took place.

This release far surpasses any previous version, it contains the most complete cut of the film extant, and appears to be representative of the best available archival elements in WB's vault. The fact that somebody did not spend hours "Photoshopping out" small blemishes from a few frames does not bother me a bit. Being readily available for $15 doesn't hurt the cause, either.

Regards,

DaveyM

Stunt Coordinator
I recieved my copy of The Thing From Another World today from Deep Discount Dvd.
Looks pretty good to me although i have read several online reviews that said the transfer isn't the greatest.
Considering the movie is 52 years old i think its an ok disc. It's better than the Criterion laser disc that i used to own even though the Criterion disc has many more extras while the Dvd only has a trailer.
The Thing From Another World is one of my favorite films so i'm happy to have it on Dvd and i'm sure many others are as well.

"Keep Watching the Skies"

Davey M.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks