What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: The Terminal (1-disc) (1 Viewer)

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Tony. It has a see-through sticker in the bottom left corner, but I still didn't see it.

Christian Preischl

Screenwriter
Real Name
Christian Preischl
I just got the Canadian edition of the LE. The front of the digipak is completely in English, the back is the same as the front, only completely in French. Then there's an additional piece of paper that features a description of the contents in both languages (like an Amaray back cover).
However, what it does not have is a track listing for the damn audio CD! Is there one in the US edition? No chapter listing for the DVD is one thing, but no track listing for a 14-track audio CD is ridiculous.

Chris

I noticed an error at the beginning of the disc with the MPAA rating. The rating states PG-13 [parental guidance suggested] rather than PG-13[parents strongly cautioned] can anyone tell me if this is an error the MPAA made or was it dreamworks?

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Rented this movie tonight and LOVED it. Rarely do I agree with Roger Ebert but I read his review after seeing this and he says something like he was eagerly awaiting the next scene. I agree with that. This is one of those films that really took a chance and hits a home run. I know it did modest at the box office (about $70 mill?) which is low for Sp & Hanks.

I found myself slowly captivated with the characters, especially Hanks. Is there anything this man cannot do?

Original, sweet & charming, and well acted & directed.

DVD was kind of soft, but still good. Audio was also serviceable.

This one's going on the "Want" list for me. :emoji_thumbsup:

ArthurMy

Supporting Actor
Put me in the category of liking the film overall. It is actually a frustrating film, IMO. The film is beautifully paced, never ever seeming like it's a bit over two hours. It's beautifully shot, beautifully scored, and, for the most part beautifully acted. But even a fable must have reality, at least the reality of the world it creates, and for me the Stanley Tucci character almost does the film in. In the supplements, Spielberg and company all say the Tucci character is just doing his job, but that's not so - he deliberately goes out of his way to be nasty, all for selfish reasons, none of which make any sense. I mean, I knew we were in trouble with his character and those scenes when he doesn't bring the translator in ever (they say the translator can't make it for a couple of hours - come on, they'd wait, why wouldn't they). No movie if they do that, but there had to be a better way with Mr. Tucci and his character. It was consistently the only thing that kept taking me out of this other lovely movie I was watching. That, and the sub plot with Enrique. The set-up was great, but then they just forget about it, and then there's suddenly this wedding and it's just silly.

But even with all those caveats, the film has truly magical moments and many of them. Spielberg's direction is superb. The ending is lovely and bittersweet.

And let me tell you, when I saw Hanks unveil the fountain and then it didn't work, I feared, trembled that at some point Spielberg would go to his usual place and all of a sudden, during the kiss or some such moment, it would spring to life with music soaring. He didn't do it, and for that I applaud his restraint.

Bryan Ri

Screenwriter
Real Name
Bryan
I must say I really enjoyed this film, and I wish that I had seen it in theaters. I plan on picking it up ASAP.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks