What's new

HTF REVIEW: The Simpsons - The Complete Third Season (Highly Recommended!) (1 Viewer)

Mike Heenan

Second Unit
I've found a glitch in mine I think. During Bart the Murderer on disc 1, there was an audio drop out while the captions still went on, and later in the episode, the captions didn't work at all, anyone else have problems like this?

DeanWG

Stunt Coordinator
I'm surprised other Simpsons fans didn't notice this, but $847.63 is Maggie's "price" when she is accidentally scanned at the supermarket in the opening credits! (When I first read this thread, I thought those numbers looked familiar, then I confirmed it in the official Simpsons episode guide book.)
I thought what came up was NRA4EVR, one of the hundreds of hidden right-wing messages hidden within the Simpsons??? :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I loved that Troy McLure episode. What was it? 178th or something?

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
Wrong, I'm having more fun than anyone, at the expense of those who foolishly try to figure out the answer to a question that intentionally doesn't have one. The writers are toying with those of you who insist on trying to figure it out, which is funny. What isn't funny, on the other hand, is when people get all technical about something like this. It sucks all the fun out of it. What's funnier, Bart's head obscuring a map of the US when Homer and Lisa try to teach Apu where Springfeld is, or a dull list of all of Springfield's geographical attributes?
Geez, lighten up. :rolleyes

Scott_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
138th episode, I think. That was a good one. It was always a good episode when Phil Hartman (R.I.P.) had a major role in it.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
Geez, lighten up.
You tell me to lighten up but I would say the same to those who try to pin Springfield down to one state, when doing so is absolutely ridiculous. I say "lighten up" to those who read too much into a cartoon. There's ultimately one answer as to why Springfield doesn't exist in any particular state: a wizard did it.

MartinTeller

Screenwriter
You tell me to lighten up but I would say the same to those who try to pin Springfield down to one state, when doing so is absolutely ridiculous. I say "lighten up" to those who read too much into a cartoon. There's ultimately one answer as to why Springfield doesn't exist in any particular state: a wizard did it.
Dude, it's just an intellectual exercise. It's a way to amuse yourself. It's not "reading too much" into it... it's simply a way fans have come up with to have their own fun with it. Everyone knows that the state is left intentionally vague. You're not smart for having figured that out.

Sheesh.

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
Sheesh.
That's what I say when I read something like the list at this link.

I say you should have fun with the intentional ambiguity, rather than compiling a 17-page list. I mean, when the debate raises the issue of whether or not Springfield exists in the UNITED STATES, geeky fanboys have officially sucked all the fun out of it for themselves. If you can't rationalize a cartoon city not existing in a specific locale to the point where you develop a theory that it exists outside of the US, you have no business watching anything fictional. By this rationale, one could insist that "The Godfather" didn't really take place in New York City because there's no record of the Corleone's having lived there.

Britton

Screenwriter
I thought what came up was NRA4EVR, one of the hundreds of hidden right-wing messages hidden within the Simpsons???

I loved that Troy McLure episode. What was it? 178th or something?
In true Simpsons fashion, all the trivia questions were just gags and all the answers were mostly not true.

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
Sounds like a hell of a lot of mathematicians over the years are been engaged in non-intellectual activity most of their professional life (e.g., Fermat's Last Theorem). Similarly for theortical astrophyicists and lots of other non-intellectual individuals.

MartinTeller

Screenwriter
By this rationale, one could insist that "The Godfather" didn't really take place in New York City because there's no record of the Corleone's having lived there.
Wow, the point and you are existing in entirely different universes now. There is no ambiguity in The Godfather about the locale. Within the reality of the movie it is clear where the Corleones are. No one is looking for Simpsons clues outside of the scope of the show. At least, I hope not.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
the way i deal with the glue is toleave it there.
i also leave the shrinkwrap on too.

i just cut out the part of the wrap were the dvd's come out and put a strip of cello tape around the edge to keep it from tearing.
this way i have a cover on the box to keep it from wearing out and the jelly glue under the extra label stays there.

i do this with all my slipcase dvd's.

Dome Vongvises

Senior HTF Member
You consistently miss the point. The fun is of looking for the Simpsons state is NOT some kind of deluded hope that you will eventually "figure it out" and triumphantly proclaim their victory over the writers. It's just a brain game.
Well said, Martin. :emoji_thumbsup:

I'm not going to debate this any further because Bill GrandPre evidently doesn't get it.

Seth--L

Screenwriter
I've finally watched all the episodes and listened to the commentaries. Overall an excellent package - it will be perfect for when I have to sit in an airport for half the day.

My only suggestion to makers of the DVD sets is to split up some of the large group commentaries. Having more than four or five people is pointless since it puts a such a limitation on how much each participant can say in the short 22 minute episode span, if they even talk at all.

Also, seeing that a lot of people have a lot to say, and they rarely can say it all in a 22 minute episode, how about in addition to the commentaries having a large group discussion, moderated, filmed, 60-75 minutes. This was quite successful when the cast appeared on Inside the Actors Studio.

Brandon Conway

captveg
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brandon Conway
Re: The Simpsons 138th Episode Spectacular

This episode has one if THE greatest lines in Simpsons history: When Troy McClure explains that Smithers was the other person who had been chosen as the shooter in Who Shot Mr. Burns. He concludes with this humdinger- "But of course, for that ending to work, you would have to ignore all the Simpson DNA evidence. [laughs] And that would be downright nutty." Brilliant, brilliant line! :emoji_thumbsup:

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
In the commentary for "Bart the Murderer", they mention that they couldn't get clearance for one of the songs. I wasn't sure if they meant that they couldn't get clearance for the song before it aired originally, or they couldn't get clearance for the DVD. Does anyone know for sure?

GuruAskew

Senior HTF Member
The Tokyo plant is open when the
library is open, suggesting that there is a
difference of less than 14 hours if the library is
open 8-5.
Clearly, the people who think this stuff up are no longer having any fun, they're making a chore of it.

Just a suggestion, anyone remember the Simpsons area code? They had a whole episode where the Simpsons changed their area code. Maybe the old or new one may work for easter eggs.

Brilliant find on the Maggie number and 742 adress

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks