1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

HTF REVIEW: The Simpsons - The Complete Third Season (Highly Recommended!)

Discussion in 'TV on DVD and Blu-ray' started by Adam_Reiter, Aug 20, 2003.

1. Adam_Reiter

Adam_Reiter Second Unit

2. TedT

TedT Second Unit

They were starting with Episode 300 (this past season).

3. Ben Crouse

Ben Crouse Agent

Warning: RANT forthcoming...

With the exception of that one Halloween episode PDI did for the Simpsons where Homer gets trapped in the "3rd Dimension", the Simpsons is not "DIGITAL ANIMATION"!

recently yes, they've begun doing ink and paint digitally, but this show has always been, and still is HAND DRAWN.

hey guys, don't expect less from 2D animation just because it isn't computer animation. 2D animation can, and should! look just as good on DVD as anything else.

4. JeanSSullivan

Well what the do is draw sketch on cel's, scan them, paint them digitally and assemble them for animation, it's then store Digitally. That want i meant by Digital Season. Just like Futurama, it's sketch scanned and painted in a computer (same as disney since Lion King)

Back in THE TIME, they would paint directly on the cel then PHOTO them on a tape... most of the time this process cause grain and you can see more "dust" on the print.

5. Britton

Britton Supporting Actor

6. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    Question about a favorite episode of mine.....

Inside Burns Manor, Burns and his kiss-ass
    sidekick rev into action, going down the batpole,
    doing eye and hand scans and going into the most
    secret and crack-safe area of the mansion -- that
    is -- until they find the side door has been left
    open (which gets kicked close).

I laugh my ass off every time I watch that scene.

What episode and which season is that from?

Adam, don't worry about the review. For a guy
    just getting his feet wet, this review was awesome
    if not just for the fact that it looked as
    if you poured your heart and sweat into it.

7. Jeremy Allin

Jeremy Allin Supporting Actor

Ron:

Always glad to help out a Simpsons fan in need:

The episode is called Last Exit to Springfield (9F15) from Season 4. It's the episode where Homer becomes the Power Plant's Union Leader and in the scene you described, Burns & Smithers go through a series of high-level security measures to get to the plant's main shutoff only to find a rickety screen door and a dog wandering into the room.

It's also one of my personal favorites! [​IMG]

Burns: Fifteen minutes from now I will wreak a terrible vengeance on this city. No-one will be spared. NO-ONE!
    Brockman: Heh, heh. A chilling vision of things to come.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BTW, Adam, a truly fantastic review that shows a lot of passion.

8. Jesse Skeen

Jesse Skeen Producer

Oh my god, a smiley-face "bug"???

9. Jeremy Allin

10. WillG

WillG Producer

"For those of you who still like it, that's great."

Sub Par Simpsons is better that no Simpsons at all (My own opinion of course)

11. Ronald Epstein

Ronald Epstein Administrator
    Owner

Ronald Epstein
    That's the episode! Thanks! The screenshots
    were a surprising bonus.

12. Jeremy Allin

I've got every episode on VCD that I painstakingly recorded off cable/satellite, cut out the commercials and burned to CD. It was about a 2[​IMG] year project. A labour of love that will satisfy my Simpsons urges until all episodes are out on DVD or HD-DVD.

13. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Lead Actor

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Ok, gotta say that the occasional typo doesn't phase me a bit. IMO, our reviews are "works in progress". I know I've edited mine about a zillion times since they were first posted!

AWESOME review IMO. Exactly the type of detail about picture and sound that I love and no shortage of details about any aspect of the DVD production. Also--I just have to say it--those screen-catpures ROCK. Would love to know what software you used/how you got them off the disc. And please check the 'hits' to your webhosting service because you know I'm gonna be beggin' for you to host a few of mine for some of my future reviews (maybe a few extra free DVDs thrown in to compensate?) [​IMG]

Those screen-caps do a great job of illustrating what you're talking about in your review.

Really sharp. In-depth and well-laid out. I like the use of HTML to enhance the look and provide a nice sense of flow...it makes it easier to read and follow.

I think people are just getting lulled into complacency around here with so many great reviews lately by all the reviewers. If this review had hit early on (in other words, if FOX had sent you DVDs when you started) I can assure you that there'd be a long steady stream of posts of people ooohhing and aahhhing over it...so don't let the lack of feeback send you the wrong message.

This review deserves serious praise.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

14. Adam_Reiter

Adam_Reiter Second Unit

David, I definately have you to thank for the formatting. You came up with the best method I think. I just need to incorporate the Stars. I think Michael started using the stars first. I am just gong to try and take all the best ideas and use them. Your formatting, Michaels stars, my screenshots. hehe. Yippe Kai Eh!

I did everything in Front Page. It took me 3 hours to fix my formatting. Every single line was messed up. What did you use to type yours up? I need a better way. I need to develop a rock solid template.

As for the screen shots. I just took some screen shots for my next reviews of From Justin to Kelly (bleh) and Chasing Papi. I noticed that the screen shots from "Power DVD" were not turning out how I wanted. So, I used ALT+PRTSCN (Alt + PrintScreen) buttons (works in Windows 2000 and XP) and so far that has givin me the most accurate screen shot. But I have a window box around the image. I might just crop that out so it doesnt look like it came from a computer.

I used Power DVD's screen shots for the Simpsons, but it wont work for a real movie. You can see degredation. However, the Simpsons screen shots look better than when you are actually playing the dvd so I left them in. hehe.

15. Gregory William

Gregory William Auditioning

How is the packaging, is it the same as the first two seasons, or did they package it like Futurama and Family Guy?

16. Colin Jacobson

Colin Jacobson Producer

17. Adam Tyner

Adam Tyner Screenwriter

18. MichaelBryant

MichaelBryant Stunt Coordinator

So the picture quality is bad? What a shame. With a year between sets there is no excuse for this.

19. WillG

WillG Producer

"So the picture quality is bad? What a shame. With a year between sets there is no excuse for this."

Didn't Al Jean, or someone else involved with the production come out earlier this year and say that the delay had something to do with problems with the authoring company? Mabye the alleged lousy transfers were the reason behind those problems

20. Scott_J

Scott_J Screenwriter