What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: The Outsiders - Two Disc Special Edition (RECOMMENDED). (1 Viewer)

Steve Phillips

Screenwriter
That's what I'm going to do. I got the original DVD in the $5.50 bin anyway, so when I pick up the new one I'll hold on to it as well.

I will say it would have made more sense to just include both versions on the new release.

Ray H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Hmmm. Looks like neither Netflix or Blockbuster's online services are carrying this for rental. Looks like if I want to check out this new cut I'll have to pay for it.

Alphonse Brown

Stunt Coordinator
I'm happy that we get more of the bonding between the characters in additional scenes and I admire the extras on the disc, but I really hate the period music used in certain scenes of the film. I, too, have the original score on CD by Carmine Coppola and it is fantastic.

Scenes such as Ponyboy and Johnny sleeping under the stars, the train ride to the church, passing the time in the church, the church fire, the rumble and finally Dallas' fate (from the drugstore on) were perfectly scored prior to this. More or less, "The Outsiders" is a tragedy and I was very irritated that those tragic cues were replaced by more upbeat period songs; therefore you lose the ultimate "feel" of the film.

I'll always consider the original film the film I'll go back to over time and let the "Complete Novel" DVD serve as just an addendum.

Jerry Almeida

Second Unit
Real Name
Jerry Almeida
I just got around to watching this yesterday, and I have to admit I feel the same as most. I loved the additional scenes but thought that the new score changed the feeling of the movie.

Two scenes that stood out for me were when Dillon died and when the brothers reunite in the hospital after the fire. I think the new score took away from the mood these two scenes.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks