What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: The Outsiders - Two Disc Special Edition (RECOMMENDED). (1 Viewer)

Mark Palermo

Second Unit
To each their own; I friggin love this movie. I'll pick up this release, but I'm worried about the added footage and altered music. I wish the original version had been included as well.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I saw The Outsiders on the first date ever went on - I've always liked this movie and Im curious about the new cut.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I am keeping both version.. I finally got the new edition yesterday and watched. I have mix reaction to it. I like the new footage. It does seem more complete. However I have a minor problem with the new replaced music. Its changes the tone of the movie. the music score was much darker tone.

the music reminded me a bit of forrest gump when gump was being chased by the bullys.. they had rock music playing. this has changed the tone of the movie a bit.. which in some scenes doesnt work and other scenes it works just fine.
it does show you how much different kind of music can change the tone of a movie.

JACOB

Martin Jeeves

Supporting Actor
I prefer the new cut in almost everyway, but I can understand others not feeling the same way. I think it's a more emotional and involving cut of the film IMHO.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member
I have the DVD on the way to me.

THE OUTSIDERS was the film that, honestly, taught me more about letterboxing and panning and scanning than any other movie.

I saw it for years on video in a zoomed in version, no panning or scanning. But then, on cable, I started seeing it panned and scanned, especially during the final scene of reading the letter, where you would see other people on the screen that I had never seen before. Really made me aware of how different the film can be.

And I remember the later TV cuts having the whole courtroom scene. So, I learned about alternate edits with this film too.

One question though, was the music changed for the finale, with Matt Dillon and the drugstore? I always thought the music for that was amazing. A bit overdone maybe, but worked extremely well. I HOPE that hasn't been changed.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
sad to say that the music for that scene was replaced. I also prefer the original score for that scene. It might have been over the top a bit.. it was more emotional then what they had replaced it with.. I love the score for the rumble in the original version.. that was perfect.

JACOB

Berk

Stunt Coordinator
Why couldn't Coppola be satisfied with the additional scenes? Why did he have to go and screw with the music in the film?

If you haven't watched the new version yet, do yourself a favor and don't. For the rest of my life every time I watch The Outsiders (original version, of course) I'll be thinking how terrible Coppola's director's cut was thanks to the new score.

Next to casting his daughter as the lead in Godfather III this has got to be Coppola's biggest mistake. Pure genius.

I am so thankful Coppola wasn't deluded enough to mess with the score of Rumble Fish.

Martin Jeeves

Supporting Actor
Sorry I can't agree. I liked the new score for the most part. I respect your view but I prefer this new longer cut of the film.

Berk

Stunt Coordinator
Don't get me wrong, I prefer the extended version of the film as well. I just wish the extended version had been offered with the original score.

Paul McElligott

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Paul McElligott
I haven't seen this film since it was in theaters so I really don't remember enough to miss the original score. I do remember the film was good and compared favorably to the novel. I saw it with a bunch of people from junior high, since we had read the book for our English class.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
Coppola explains in the commentary and docs about the change of the music.. even if you agree or disagree with his decision.

I think there are about 4 scenes where I would have left the score in..

like I said before. I have the original soundtrack score from the movie.. it was released overseas only.. I found it at tower records one day.. I had been looking for that oundtrack for ages. this was more then 5 years ago or.. or even longer. I still have it to this day.

I didn't mind the new main titles. I thought it worked better. you saw the kids in the picture when the main title goes across the screen.

JACOB

John KB

Second Unit
Personally, I love the extended cut, but the change of music has ripped the heart right out of this movie. The emotion is lost for good. I respect all opinions, including, Coppola's, but for me, it just doesn't work now. I'm sad the original score is gone, I just can't revisit this movie, and feel the same emotion that it evoked so long ago.

Oh well, looks great though, and as I said the new scenes are good...

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member

I don't know. I went to the Matt Dillon scene at the end I mentioned and the new score is TERRIBLE. Just this monotonous, forgettable song that takes away the entire intensity of the moment. Yet, I still remember the original score, and I haven't watched the film in 15 years.

Haven't watched the rest, but have to say that change really hurt the film, for me at least.

john mcfadden

Stunt Coordinator
I agree !! I didnt like the change at all The new score/soundtrack completely removed me from the movie altogether. To me it just did not fit at all .Now i gotta go hunt down a copy of the original disc to replace this one. Aside from that the extras were very good .

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks