What's new

HTF REVIEW: "The Others" (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
I agree that the husband’s arrival was a little too much but I’m glad I didn’t figure it out at the moment. I thought he might be a ghost but I said to myself that she wouldn’t be able to sleep with a ghost! :D
I’m betting that that smily is tempting people to read the spoiler tag!!!

Joseph_W

Stunt Coordinator
Ron,

I purchased this based on your review. Definitely was NOT disappointed. The use of 5.1 was absolutely frightful!

Thanks,

Joe

Lou Sytsma

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lou Sytsma
Hmmm - guess I'll have to be the dissenting voice here.

Found the movie to be fairly average at best. Very slow and the payoff wasn't worthy of the setup.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Great review Ron, however I have to agree with Lou. I purchased this DVD on the basis of this and other reviews, and I have to say that I was somewhat disappointed. The sound is quite excellent, and there is more than enough tension during the movie, but I didn't find it at all hard to figure out what was going on fairly early on.

I feel it was an excellent concept that was not properly executed. If they had left out many of the "hints" that tip off the viewer, and let one believe the original premise:

allow you to think they were alive
, and not reveal this until the very end, it could have been much better.

Chris Rock

Supporting Actor
I saw The Changeling on TV when I was a kid (maybe 7 or 8) and it was the first movie that ever gave me nightmares.

I guess if I were 7 or 8, The Others would freak me out, too.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I thought the scenes with the noises coming from the other rooms, etc..., like the scene where she goes into the "junk" room and the whispering can be heard all around, were very well done sound wise, so I won't say it was a bad disc. My hopes were to be fully entertained by the story, regardless of the sound, and I was not. It's like someone mentioned, why watch it again, if you already know the surprise? Well, the same is true if you are able to figure out what is going on. It detracts from the fun.

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
All in all, I thought this was a really good flick. Unlike some other people in this thread, I couldn't really figure out what exactly was going on, so it pretty much kept me guessing. Also, I felt that the absence of music (except for a few scenes) really built up the tension and in some cases was downright unnerving. In some of the scenes with people running around the house, I thought that my neighbors' kids were just being rambunctious! While I don't see myself watching this movie many more times, I certainly like having it in my collection. :emoji_thumbsup:

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
I'm having all my neighbors over this Friday night to watch this one. Ohhhh it's going to be fun:)
Peace Out~:D

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
I didn't think the transfer was that good. Ron mentions the "softly lensed images". Well, this was distracting to me. It just looked too soft.

Enjoyed the movie though!

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
Great film, great transfer, great sound.....no complaints here. Can't wait to watch it again!!!!!

Mitch Stevens

Supporting Actor
I throughly enjoyed this movie as well. All of the acting performances were brilliant.

Does anyone else find it weird that all of their voices sound like whispers? No matter how loud I put the sound, they still sound like they are whispering.

Tom Rhea

Second Unit
I figured out what was going on exactly 50 minutes into this movie and wasn't the least bit disappointed. Any movie that depends on the plot device used in this one must have something more to make it worth viewing more than once, and I think the Others definitely delivers. Kidman's performance is paced and nuanced exactly right (this becomes especially evident upon subsequent viewings). Combined with the other top notch performances (especially Flannagan's) and the excellent moody atmosphere I imagine I'll be watching this many times. I think it's far more like Carnival of Souls
than the very overrated Sixth Sense

Ron Reda

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone else find it weird that all of their voices sound like whispers? No matter how loud I put the sound, they still sound like they are whispering.
I felt the same way, so I kept jacking up the volume. I guess that's why, when something significant occurred on screen, I about jumped out of my seat!

Dan M

Second Unit
I figured out what was going on exactly 50 minutes into this movie and wasn't the least bit disappointed. Any movie that depends on the plot device used in this one must have something more to make it worth viewing more than once, and I think the Others definitely delivers.
Ditto
I think THE OTHERS is a well crafted film with outstanding and believable performances. This alone makes it worth multiple viewings IMO.
Just because I alredy know the ending to a movie doesn't make it any less enjoyable the second or third (or 15th) time around. I can't count how many times I've seen PLANET OF THE APES!
I plan to make this a Halloween staple around my place. One of the best ghost stories to come out of Hollywood in a while I think.
Also, THE OTHERS is an excellent example of what 5.1 surround can do for a horror movie. It really added to the scarriness of the film;) ;)

Alex Shk

Stunt Coordinator
Hmmmmm....

Just odd that I thought the DD 5.1 track to be one of the most effective I've heard. Most of the soundfield is in the mains, and surrounds are used almost exclusively for effect. As most of the movie has a fairly subdued soundtrack - when those haunting whispers, door slams and "things that go bump in the night" envelope you - I found the overall effect significantly creepier than most of the shock-value visuals that many modern thriller/horror flims over-use.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
I love The Others. It's an excellent movie and it was one of my favorite films from last year.
than the very overrated Sixth Sense
I love The Sixth Sense. It's an excellent movie and it was one of my favorite films from 1999. You may not have cared for it, but it was hardly "overrated" (whatever the freak that means, anyway).

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Also, THE OTHERS is an excellent example of what 5.1 surround can do for a horror movie. It really added to the scarriness of the film
If that's so, then you need Se7en:SE with the DTS ES track, and From Hell. Both have excellent sound. Almost on par with The Haunting, IMO.

I agree about Sixth Sense, at least it was more clever in it's ability to hide it's secret until closer to the end, as a well presented story with intentions of deceiving you should. I would also hardly call it overrated.

Ron-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ron
at least it was more clever in it's ability to hide it's secret until closer to the end
I figured out the sixth sense early on, during the restaurant scene. I did not pick up on The Others until it was revealed.
The Others creeped me out more than any other movie I've seen in a very long time. Se7en did not creep me out, just grossed me out.
Peace Out~:D

Tom Rhea

Second Unit
You may not have cared for it, but it was hardly "overrated" (whatever the freak that means, anyway).
It means that a great many people seem to like the Sixth Sense a lot for no reason that I can discern. It was competently made and I enjoyed watching it, but unlike the Others there was nothing about it that makes me want to watch it again. Once I learned the "big secret," there was nothing about the story, acting or directing to warrant a re-viewing.

Vickie_M

Senior HTF Member
Once I learned the "big secret," there was nothing about the story, acting or directing to warrant a re-viewing.
I'm the opposite. The movie is richer and more rewarding upon multiple viewings, when you know the characters well and can pick up on the myriad clues and subtle touches provided by the screenplay, the acting and the direction.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks