What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: The Matrix Reloaded (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED). (1 Viewer)

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
I am a bit perplexed here. Why would someone who already had a dislikening for the original Matrix expect to be objective with the sequel? On the other hand giving it to someone who is in love with the movies would also be a crime. Why couldn't this review have be passed on to someone in the middle?

Also, screening DVD's on a 96" screen isn't fair to video. Yes, it will show every flaw but were they made to be really viewed in such a large format considering they "are" compressed files, not celluloid? The average Joe doesn't view them on on such a massive screen, only a rare few so again, not being very objective.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
screening DVD's on a 96" screen isn't fair to video.
I COMPLETELY disagree with this claim. The BEST DVDs look damn good on a screen that size or even larger (I view DVDs on a 100" screen, and one of my friends has a 123" screen, and we know how good DVDs can look). EVERY DVD should be made to look its best on such a large screen. When they are, the quality on a smaller screen will "take care of itself". DVDs should NOT be "dumbed down" to be just "good enough" for "ordinary" screen sizes.

Rik P

Stunt Coordinator
Dave, Christmas is a loooooooong way down the road. I would tell her to get you Seabiscuit instead (due out DEC 16th). :D

stewart borland

Stunt Coordinator
For me this is the exact same issue as I had with Lord of The Rings, The Two Towers! Lots of you said maybe the middle part was always going to be the weakest and that one & three would be the best... I guess we'll find out.
I did enjoy it but agree with all the comments so far - fight scenes a bit long etc., etc., good but not as good.

Herb Kane

Screenwriter
Steven:

In an attempt to alleviate your perplexity, the answer, as to why someone else didn't review it, is an easy one. Each of the 7 reviewers are assigned to the various studios. Just so happens, I cover Warner Brothers. My comments were rather tongue in cheek in an attempt to express my feelings about the movie and to hint for fans to take what I had to say about the movie "with a grain of salt". As you can see, I gave the DVD a pretty favorable review, which it deserves.

Now, this is where I too am just as perplexed... are you saying that anyone with a front projector and a screen size of (x), shouldn't be reviewing DVDs...?

Herb.

Eric Huffstutler

Screenwriter
Real Name
Eric Huffstutler
Herb,

Points well taken but you have to also look at things from my side of the tracks. I am use to seeing different people doing different reviews not restricted to a particular studio. And your toung-in-cheek approach wasn't detected by myself so wonder how may others read it the same way?

At the same time, to address both a comment you made and one made by Sean Bryan, I think too many people place too much emphasis on the "THEATER" aspect of this forum. It isn't all about who can get the biggest screen or most powerful projector and sound system. People who visit these forums are not all into these things or can afford them. I come by for the reviews since all I view my DVDs with is a 27" 4:3 TV and a $50 player but does that make me any less an advocate of the media or enjoy the overall experience any less? NO!

For you and your 96" screen, using a standard formula used in constructing home theaters, your front row should be about 16 feet away from the screen. Great if you have a basement or custom built room for such but what would your definition of "home theater" be for someone living in an apartment? Don't forget that in the not so long ago past a home theater consisted on a rear projection large screen TV and a couple of surround speakers hooked to your home stereo system. I don't even have surround speakers!

It is for the reasons above that I think that reviewers should be using more modest setups that fall into a happy medium for those who do and those who don't.

Kevin. W

Screenwriter
Check your brain at the door, grab the popcorn
htf_images_smilies_popcorn.gif
and enjoy this movie for what its worth. Action, Action and more Action. As well as a nice shot of Persephone
htf_images_smilies_smiley_jawdrop.gif
forgeting to Shave
before squeezing into the tight beige dress.

Kevin

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
On the other hand giving it to someone who is in love with the movies would also be a crime.
Why? I can understand why it doesn't make a lot of sense to have someone who already hates the series watch the film, but what's wrong with someone who loves them? Worried they won't be objective? News flash: there's no such thing as objectivity in reviews. They're OPINIONS - even your desired "man in the middle" will still offer his opinions. As long as the person's honest and gives the flick an honest shot - for better or for worse - who cares about prior notions?

Lee-M

Stunt Coordinator
I noticed Monica Bellucci's, um, display as well... damn near had to stop the movie, I was so distracted...

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
I wasn't blown away by the sound on this disc. I had it turned to reference on my receiver and it still wasn't as loud as most movies are on my system at -10dB from reference. There were a few nice rumbles here and there for my SVS, but there was just something uneven about the overall sound mix that didn't seem right to me.

Nick T Robot

Supporting Actor
Herb, So you didn't like the first film but the second film you enjoyed.

Now, that's a refreshing viewpoint. I'm glad to see it. This movie had produced a full spectrum of opinions. I take that as a sign they are doing something right.

I for one loved both the first and second films despite the flaws.

Keith M.

Second Unit
Sorry to go against the grain...

I personally dont care for the matrix movies. However, the last 30mins of Reloaded was INCREDIBLE. By far, the best car chase I have ever seen... The rest of the movie is a snooze fest!!

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
Also, screening DVD's on a 96" screen isn't fair to video. Yes, it will show every flaw but were they made to be really viewed in such a large format considering they "are" compressed files, not celluloid? The average Joe doesn't view them on on such a massive screen, only a rare few so again, not being very objective.
I totally disagree. Dvd's should be of high quality regardless of screen size. And I can say from my own experience, I used to have a 100 inch front projection system and I thought that most dvd movies looked better on that than on my 50 inch rptv. It's all in the quality of the equipment being used and how good the transfer of the dvd is. If it is a good transfer then it should look good on any screen size.

Dan Kaplan

Stunt Coordinator
Stupid question time: Where are all you people getting copies of this to watch a week prior to release? Surely not all screener copies? Earlier R2 release date?

Dvd's should be of high quality regardless of screen size.
Additionally, large screens are the best way to test just how high the quality is. Put an average transfer on a small screen and it won't look much different than a great transfer (been there), but blow it up 6x and you'll see a lot that you were missing before, for better or worse. Ditto for the soundtrack. No surround system? Why should that be taken into account? Might as well just read the VHS reviews if you want the tech side of things watered down that much... In my opinion, it's a near necessity that reviewers use above average equipment, otherwise the review cannot possibly speak to the audio and video quality.

Dan

Lev-S

Second Unit
You know the Wachowskis are on a power trip when they can get

Monica Bellucci to kiss Jada Pinkett Smith in 'Enter the Matrix'! Yeah, I'm sure that was for "artistic purposes", to further the plot and characters of the movie!

I passed out when that happened...

Oh yeah and Steve, it's spelled "tongue". BTW, nice to find somebody else with a 27"! All hail the mighty "smallest for home theater" size!

richardWI

Second Unit
Good to see Monica is putting her best assets forward.. but anyway...

I had a problem with scenes that didn't advance the story in any way. Like the "Burly Brawl", it went on and on and had no satifying resolution. Things were the same as when they started. Nobody really won or lost the fight, and the last shot of the agents wandering around was a good commentary on what a waste of screen time the scene was.

Every scene in the first movie did SOMETHING to advance the story. It was fairly tight and economical.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation449
Recent bookmarks