What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers (Ext. Ed.) (merged w/"PQ and SQ" thread) (1 Viewer)

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
Could someone elaborate on the video quality of the new release vs. the original release? IMO, the 1st release's video quality was excellent and I don't recall hearing any complaints on the forum. What specifically has improved (in terms of video quality) with this new version?

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
From what I've read here and on other sites is the video is improved. The bits state this is evident right at the beginning with Gandalf/Balrog scene. Others state better color/more detail etc...

greg_t

Screenwriter
The video should be improved with the higher bitrate due to spreading the movie over two discs. The EE of Fellowship had a definite improvement in video over the 2 disc release. From what I remember, the EE had better detail and was less grainy.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Name one from 2003 that gets into its movie as fully as Two Towers.
Warner's 2-disc SE for The Adventures of Robin Hood is probably the closest a pre-1960 movie could get to that kind of overwhelming content. Disney's 2-disc release of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, too.

And not even the LOTR movies have outtakes or blooper reels... :)

Phil Carter

Second Unit
Real Name
Phil
And not even the LOTR movies have outtakes or blooper reels...
Not yet, but there will be an outtakes and blooper reel on the DVD for "Return of the King". Jackson's confirmed it in numerous interviews. (I can't remember offhand which version of the DVD it'll be on, though -- theatrical cut or EE. Although for something like that they might break the rule of "no overlapping content" and include it on both).

Should be a lot of fun. Three films shot simultaneously over several years with this kind of scope are just BOUND to generate a lot of amusing incidents. :)

cheers,
Phil

Phil Carter

Second Unit
Real Name
Phil
Why would Arwen be at Helms Deep?
Or do you mean Eowyn?
No, indeed. It's known that there was footage shot of Arwen taking part in the battle at Helm's Deep. One of the fan pages (I think it was TORN) got hold of the info and posted it. People immediately began flooding New Line / Jackson with "Dear GOD please tell me this is a joke" messages. I think this is one of the few times Jackson actually bowed to the fans' wishes while making the movie. The footage was cut and we never heard any more about it.

Personally, that's removed footage I could do quite well without. I think that's the general consensus. :)

cheers,
Phil

Clay-F

Stunt Coordinator
No, indeed. It's known that there was footage shot of Arwen taking part in the battle at Helm's Deep. One of the fan pages (I think it was TORN) got hold of the info and posted it. People immediately began flooding New Line / Jackson with "Dear GOD please tell me this is a joke" messages. I think this is one of the few times Jackson actually bowed to the fans' wishes while making the movie. The footage was cut and we never heard any more about it.
I could only guess how she got there, and what she did. Aragorn was pretty busy, and I cant think of any extra time that he could have had to have any time with her during the battle. Maybe they digitally cut her out of the escape part....

Thats just weird. Was Elrond there too :)

Next we'll see the orcs shooting first!

Jeremy Conrad

Supporting Actor
Not yet, but there will be an outtakes and blooper reel on the DVD for "Return of the King". Jackson's confirmed it in numerous interviews. (I can't remember offhand which version of the DVD it'll be on, though -- theatrical cut or EE. Although for something like that they might break the rule of "no overlapping content" and include it on both).
Yes, and they are also planning on including the audition tapes.

Andy Sheets

Senior HTF Member
I remember reading an interview with Liv Tyler and she was talking about having to swordfight the orcs but she was too scared when they charged her and she kept hiding behind the other actors. I always got the impression that Jackson cut her out of the action scenes because she was just a bit too wimpy for that kind of thing. But whatever the reason, it worked out for the best :D

StevenA

Second Unit
The Arwen at Helm's Deep footage is on the EE appendices (which I don't have yet, but it's been mentioned in reviews). I think it's behind the scenes video footage, as opposed to actual film outtakes, but it's there, so it was definitely shot and (thank goodness!) removed before release.

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
My understanding is that it was definitively cut fairly well along, and that she was indeed in the escape; a still with what appears to be her in the ride has made the rounds. I believe that's why it looks as if there are only about 3 Rohirrim left on the final charge--all the later ones had to be chopped out because Arwen was in amongst them.

DavidBL

Stunt Coordinator
For a bit more detail on "XenArwen", here is is an excerpt from Tolkien Online's review of TTT:EE:

Now on to the best part of all: XenArwen.

Yep. There she was in all her glory. Fighting on the walls of Helm's Deep, sword in hand and Aragorn at her side.

Jackson and Producer Barrie Osbourne explained their original decision to include Arwen in Helm's Deep as one of necessity considering her relationship with Aragorn. They simply couldn't leave her out of the film, right? Folks would forget about her and remembery only Eowyn... So, toss her in with the Uruks on the Deeping Wall!

As we all know, that didn't fly with the fans. Osbourne and Jackson gave a nod to the fan community, noting that there was a huge outcry against Arwen at Helm's Deep that influenced them to reconsider their decision. They decided, ultimately, that Arwen at Helm's Deep was a bad decision, and that they needed to include her into the film in another way. Forcing a woman to be "strong" by giving her a sword wasn't necessary. Liv Tyler made that argument. Yep. Liv. Liv Tyler.

They admitted Tolkien's approach to womanly strength (strength of purpose, strength of love, strength of will) was much better than their own. And I think, my friends, our clamor against "XenArwen" had a good bit to do with that realization.

So, instead they added in that flashback scene with Aragorn and Arwen at Rivendell (remember? The one that ends with Brego "the wonder horse"). Ultimately, I'll take this scene exchange any day!

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Warner's 2-disc SE for The Adventures of Robin Hood is probably the closest a pre-1960 movie could get to that kind of overwhelming content. Disney's 2-disc release of 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, too.
Those are indeed terrific sets. Actually, my favorites of the WB titles from this year are Casablanca and Yankee Doodle Dandy - I think they're the most complete packages of the bunch, though all are excellent.

However, my question related to CRITERION titles from 2003. One poster indicated he thought some of their titles compared closely to the depth and quality of the Two Towers EE - I'd like to hear which ones, for I've not seen them...

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
Slightly OT, but:

I note that the DTS track is 6.1.

Can anyone tell me what would happen if I watch the DTS 6.1 on a 5.1 system? Would I lose the rear centre track, or would that be distributed between the two rear speakers?

Just wondering. Thanks for any assistance people can provide.

Clay-F

Stunt Coordinator
Slightly OT, but:

I note that the DTS track is 6.1.

Can anyone tell me what would happen if I watch the DTS 6.1 on a 5.1 system? Would I lose the rear centre track, or would that be distributed between the two rear speakers?
It will be distributed between your other rear speakers.....

Thomas Mitchell

Auditioning
Quick question:

Is the new "Gondor Theme" soundtrack cue present during the Boromir/Faramir/Denethor flashback? If so, is the Gondor Theme repeated during the "Fan Club Crawl" during the end credits of the movie? I think it's just a fantastic cue, and I'm looking forward to listening to it.

Thanks,
T.J. Mitchell

Jaxon's Dad

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Doug
It will be distributed between your other rear speakers.....
Isn't what you're describing DDex? Being a matrixed track, the extra information is already present in the rears and is then decoded when a 6th channel is present. The DTSes track is discreet, is it not? Therefore would not the rear center channel be lost in a 5.1 set up? I could be wrong, so feel free to correct me.

Kami

Screenwriter
Thanks for the good review!

As last year, my most anticipated release of the entire year...but I must admit I am a little confused why it didn't get highly recommended in the title if it is even anything close to last year's release (which many will agree was the best DVD of the year).

I am anticipating this almost as much as Return of the King, and if you knew how much I was looking forward to ROTK, that is a big ass statement!

I've watched through the extras on FOTR EE at least 5 times and my favorite parts probably as much as 10 times! They are very well produced and edited, and the BTS footage is high quality compared to most stuff. They *really* documented the making of these films.

ANother thing that I absolutely adore about these sets is that all the extras are in 16:9! I never realized how bad 4:3 letterboxed extras were until I got a 16:9 TV! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leif_sauce
Recent bookmarks