What's new

HTF REVIEW: The Life Aquatic... Fan Recommended (1 Viewer)

Ravi K

Supporting Actor
So when did Buena Vista start filtering their DVDs excessively? I first heard about it for Kill Bill.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Kill Bill and Cold Mountain were really prominant examples of filtering...

of course, those were two of the first live-action B.V. DVDs I got to review on my projector (purchased at that time)...so for me personally that's when I started to become aware of the problem.

Some live-action stuff...like Herby the luv bug looks just great...so it's inconsistent.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member

Justin: For a non-action movie, I found the DTS track very active. All that quirky Wes Anderson-type music was constantly around me...while all the dialog was front & center. SFX were, indeed, for the most part, in the two fronts...but the score music (not the Portuguese David Bowie songs) was very active in my surrounds.

Again, for a non-action film I was simply expecting clarity and good fidelity from the audio track (I haven't listened to the DD yet). I thought the active expansion of the score into the surrounds was a bonus.

Torgny Nilsson

Second Unit
I saw this movie the other night and am glad I rented it and did not buy it. While I am a fan of Wes Anderson's work, and while the film had its moments, I don't think it is a movie I need to see again. I think Roger Ebert said it the best in his review of the film: "I can't recommend it, but I would not for one second discourage you from seeing it."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks