What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: The John Wayne / John Ford Film Collection (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED). (1 Viewer)

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David

Yep, The Searchers restoration is stunning. On my 62" display, those buttes and mesas in Monument Valley almost look 3D. So many great shots and moments.

I agree you may as well start with Stagecoach, to sort of go back to the beginning of Wayne/Ford. I'd then watch The Three Godfathers, then start on the "Cavalry Trilogy". If you've been reading other posts in this thread, you'll notice, the 3rd film of the trilogy is missing-Rio Grande. If you can find a copy of that one, get it. It's put out by Artisan in a splendid edition, but is kind of hard to find. Some consider it the best of the trilogy, so you really need that one.

I guess you can shift gears and go to the war films next. I still have not seen The Long Voyage Home. I DVR'd it off TCM once, but never got around to it, so I'm looking forward to seeing the best version of it (with Gregg Toland's photography). However, They Were Expendable is one of the best WW2 films ever, so you're going to love that one. I have not seen Wings of Eagles for years, and don't remember it as being on a par with the Wayne/Ford masterpieces, but it is entertaining.

Don't know if you've seen other great Ford westerns. The Fox edition of My Darling Clementine is a great disc (w/2 versions of the film), and The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance is a fitting end to the Ford/Wayne collaboration, IMO.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John

Not quite the end; there was the Ford segment of How The West Was Won and Donovan's Reef to follow. :)

Regarding the order in which to watch them, I would always choose chronological, but I understand the temptation to cherry pick the very best. My advice would be, as others have said, to go back to Stagecoach; just thinking about that slightly out of focus zoom as Wayne makes his entrance makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
I've seen nothing. Looks like we've been smited with the 2 week delay curse again. Too bad, this and the other Ford set would of made great Fathers Day gifts. :frowning:

David_B_K

Advanced Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
Posted by John Hodson:

I said "a fitting end" IMO. I know they made other films afterward, but if you stopped with Liberty Valance, IMO, you'd have seen the best of what Ford/Wayne have to offer.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Welcome to the forum! You shouldn't take such comments to heart because it's your opinion and there's nothing wrong with having an opinion about any film. I don't think John meant any harm.

Crawdaddy

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell

I'm really not sure, I had a VHS dub until I found it cheap at a local B&M. I hope you enjoy it, I didscovered alot of films I probably wouldn't of through. it.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
John Ford made also 8 movies with Henry Fonda.

Were they all with Warners or other studios ?

I would love to see a boxset of these titles ?

Possible ?

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You including How The West Was Won Oscar? Fonda wasn't in the Ford segment. I can only get it to seven otherwise.

Mister Roberts (Warners)
Fort Apache (Warners)
The Fugitive (an Argosy film distributed by RKO - possibly with Warners?)
My Darling Clementine (Fox)
The Grapes of Wrath (Fox)
Drums Along the Mohawk (Fox)
Young Mr. Lincoln (Fox)

It's possible that Fox could come up with their own box set, I suppose, but the rights split means a complete box is probably out of the question.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Personally, I just want "The Fugitive" on dvd because I have the others and the film itself is such a beautifully shot film and I consider it a very underrated Ford film.

Crawdaddy

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug

Can someone say exactly what printed material is supposed to be included in the Searchers Ultimate set. I have one folder with the Dell comic book repro and a similar size book of publicity material. In the other folder I have 10 location photographs, the poster offer certificate, a fascimile letter from C V Whitney to Jack Warner and an office memo from Walter MacEwen to Jack Warner. However I have TWO copies of the memo which makes me think something is missing!

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
I finally got a hold of somebody at WB. The first person didn't know anything about the boxset and I had to describe everything in detail, but she then put me on hold and came back saying that they have had many call about this issue.

She promised that I'll get a call back, but she also took my address. Until then, I'm waiting.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Well, as I stated earlier on, The Searchers was a Father's Day gift for me.

Tonight was my night to give it a spin. And, it was the first time I'd ever seen the film.

Robert: I can see why it's one of your favorites.

Herb: Thanks for the review.

The depth of the film is just amazing. The color pallette, the landscape, the photography, the acting and the subject matter all interweave to knit one of those cinematic masterpieces. I'm embarassed to say that I knew very little about this film. Whenever I saw HTFers discuss it, I knew little more than the title and that John Wayne was in it. Now I cannot wait for my Dad to see it. I don't know if he's familiar with it...but he will be soon.

It was easy to see how many other films since 1956 have copied elements of The Searchers.

jim_falconer

Screenwriter

I would be one of those that enjoy Rio Grande over the other two (or at least on the same level of Fort Apache). At it's heart is an excellent story, some truly wonderful songs (lead by future John Ford/John Wayne stock company man Ken Curtis), and introduces us to Maureen O'Hara. In comparision, She Wore A Yellow Ribbon, while extremely beautiful to look at, is a rather weak story about a fort commander dealing with his upcoming retirement. After the movie ends, you just don't have the same feeling of enjoyment, that you get with Fort Apache or Rio Grande.

John Hodson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm not going to argue against Rio Grande (heaven forfend...), but I'll argue for She Wore a Yellow Ribbon which has at its heart a stunning portrayal of an aging warrior, one of Wayne's finest IMHO. It's got some brilliant moments; 'Watch them grammar!', 'Whose dog is this?', Brittles sucking in the first icy cold breath at dawn, 'Picnicing Mr Cohill?', Abby Allshard getting royally drunk, Trooper 'Smith', 'I'm not crying - I'd like to stand up and cheer...', 'That ain't my department...', 'I'll take a chaw if you please, sir...', 'To Capt. Brittles from C Troop. Lest we forget.' - all those moments, and many more, make it one of the the most purely enjoyable movies I've seen.

On the other hand (having just watched Rio Grande again the other night) I can't get 'San Antone' out of my head :D

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I don't know about that...... I get as much if not more pleasure watching She Wore a Yellow Ribbon as those other two great films. Both, Victor McLaglen and Ben Johnson were a hoot in this film and Wayne exhibited not only more personality, but more humor in this film than those other two films.

Crawdaddy

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation562
Recent bookmarks