What's new

DVD Review HTF Review: The Hulk - Special Edition (1 Viewer)

jonathan_govols

Stunt Coordinator
I TOTALLY agree with Nkosi. This is a winter film if I've ever seen one. If this movie is released in November or December I bet you it would have done better business and people would've liked it more (I know that sounds weird but I honestly believe it). I liked the movie more on the 2nd viewing (even if I don't understand the end fully). The DD 5.1 is wonderful and I don't know if a DTS track would've been any better. The supliments are lacking but nice nonetheless. Great 2 disk set for a very underappreciated movie.

Eric F

Screenwriter
I think Ang Lee also misfires by tinkering with the very nature of the Hulk character. Comic-book icon Stan Lee’s Hulk, like most of his superhero creations, was a truly “human” character, full of self-doubt, and to some degree overwhelmed by his responsibilities as a superhero
Not so. The Hulk is a monster movie, a complicated one, but a monster movie nonthelesss. The hero aspect isn't the case of the early Hulk (not the gray and other colored incarnations). He was, just as Ang Lee depicts, the Mr Hyde to Bruce Banner's Doctor Jeckyll. The Hulk was always the reluctant hero, and that didn't come untill later on.

If you watch closely, there is even some element of Doctor Banner's humanity that comes out in the Hulk, specifically one event where he consciously averts a disaster.

All in all, I liked it very much.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I also agree that the movie should of been released during november/december time. It might of done much better.. people seem to enjoy more drama movies during winter then in the summer.

JACOB

Rob T

Screenwriter
The forced trailers are THE ONLY reason why I'm NOT buying this.
The forced trailers on The Hulk are not as bad as the forced trailers on The Bourne Identity. The forced trailers on The Hulk are setup like the Disney forced trailers. At least, when you hit enter on Play Movie, it goes right to the movie, unlike with The Bourne Identity.
I can live with how the main disc is setup. :)

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
2fast2furious, sindbad, battlestar, and bruce almighty.

JACOB

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
Julian. thanks for the details on the region 2 dvd of hulk. Iwas curious about the DTS for hulk.

JACOB

CarlosL

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Carlos
I just found this out. According to Zeta Minor's R2 DVD review, "The Hulk" contains player-generated captions for some on-screen text. There are even screenshots of this in their review.

Is this also done on the R1 version? If so, I am going to be utterly disappointed. Please tell me the original burned in captions remain. Thanks!

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I wasn't too pissed about the trailers. I sat down, put the disc in and turned the FF knob and I was expecting about 5-6 seconds. Nope, 2 seconds max.

of course I don't like it, but enjoyed the movie anyway.

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Rented this-very glad I did not blind buy it. Found this film very boring. I don't mind that they wanted it to be more dramatic than the other Marvel movies, but it wasn't very compelling in that sense either. Visually it looked great.

Also, on all Universal titles with forced trailers, I have had success by stopping during the warning, and the hitting menu to resume the menu. Still doesn;t make the forced ads alright though...

George_W_K

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
George
First off, I was very pleased with the video and audio of this disc. This was a blind buy for me, so at least that part wasn't too bad.

I thought the movie was just ok. Spiderman and X-Men seemed to succeed in making the characters more fleshed out and real than Hulk did with Bruce Banner IMO. I simply didn't care about his character at all. The Hulk on the other hand, even though somewhat cartoony in parts, seemed to demand more sympathy from me. I didn't care for the ending of the movie either. It made me think of two things, Star Trek V and Final Fantasy-The Movie.

And the biggest disappointment for me was the lack of the Hulk Teaser. To me, that was one of the best teasers I've seen. Now, I might have to go and buy The Scopion King so I can have it. :rolleyes:

Well, in the end, I have another cool demo DVD for people to check out.

Great review, though!
George

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
the hulk video game for playstation 2 has the teaser and the first superbowl trailer. not sure if the other game systems have the trailer.
the incredible hulk pilot dvd also includes the extended superbowl trailer. I dont know what other dvds have the international trailer or thetheatre trailer in front of X-men 2.
I was also reminded of star trek 5 about the ending of hulk.

JACOB

EdwardKarlinski

Stunt Coordinator
On second viewing I am convinced that I was right the first time. The Hulk is a complete piece of crap. It is a one star film with zero value. Ang Lee was the wrong choice for this film just as Robert Wise was the wrong choice for Star Trek The Motion Picture. Neither man understood the material he was working with one tiny bit. However, the difference is that Wise was at least a competent technical director who would never have filmed entire fight scenes in the dark so that the screen looks almost completely black. This is gross incompetence on the part of Lee. I was so disgusted by my reviewing of this film that I will now have to reassess my opinion of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. I can't believe the films were directed by the same man.

Dan Rudolph

Senior HTF Member
I shouldn’t even dignify their presence on the disc, but there is a credit card commercial and some “Sunny D” TV spots located on Disc One. For some reason, they are in the bonus features section! As if there aren’t enough commercials on network TV!!! Forced trailers and now this? I hope this doesn’t signify the beginning of commercials on DVDs.
As long as they're including commercials, do we at least get the Hulk Mountain Dew commercial?

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member
On second viewing I am convinced that I was right the first time. The Hulk is a complete piece of crap. It is a one star film with zero value. Ang Lee was the wrong choice for this film just as Robert Wise was the wrong choice for Star Trek The Motion Picture. Neither man understood the material he was working with one tiny bit. However, the difference is that Wise was at least a competent technical director who would never have filmed entire fight scenes in the dark so that the screen looks almost completely black. This is gross incompetence on the part of Lee. I was so disgusted by my reviewing of this film that I will now have to reassess my opinion of Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon. I can't believe the films were directed by the same man.
To each their own. I think Lee handled the film magnificently, and because he delved into the drama that the story demands, the film truly shines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks