What's new

HTF REVIEW: The Honeymooners "Classic 39" Episodes (Recommended) (1 Viewer)

John KB

Second Unit
I compared Tv or not Tv on the two different dvds, (columbia house and the new set), it looks like they are the same transfer as the specs of dirt are the same.
I swear though, that the columbia house version looks a tad sharper, and the blacks are definitely a little blacker, although I'm not sure if that's a good thing as sometimes you can lose detail that way.
The sound is also slightly muffled, albiet louder on the columbia version.
Overall, I probably wouldn't notice the difference, but when comparing the two, I prefer the Columbia House Video library versions.
Any other owners of both? I'd love to hear some opinions!

ScottR

Senior HTF Member
After viewing TV or not Tv.I have to say that I am disappointed.the film contains two scratches throughout, there is a scene where the film jumps from missing frames, and the contrast level is poor....not to mention that the sound is so bad that you can barely make out the dialogue. The second episode fared a little better. After watching the first four episodes, I have to say that I am slightly disappointed...all of the episodes have scratches, missing frames, varying contrast. I know the show is old, but I just don't remember it looking this bad on vhs....maybe I have been pampered by dvd.

Johnny Jr.

Stunt Coordinator
Does Anyone know if this is available in Canada? I know it is technically supposed to be but, I haven't seen it anywhere.

John KB

Second Unit
Johnny Jr., I saw it at Future Shop plus from Amazon.ca, although the price has gone up at amazon.ca now that it's not a pre-order. I got it for 43.00 from them, its $46.00 now, which is still cheaper than what future shop is selling it for.

StevenFC

Second Unit
Has anyone had any luck finding this on DVD Profiler? I haven't see hide nor hair of it. I went ahead and scanned the covers and uploaded a profile, but I think they're just behind for some reason. I have several DVDs waiting to be added to their database. I seriously doubt that I'm the only person who thought to contribute a profile for this great "Honeymooners" boxed set.

Johnny Jr.

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks John KB,
I remember seeing an add at wal-mart advertising a price of $39.99. I will have to check into amazon.

Jonny R

Agent
Is there an episode missing? What's the one where Ralph is screaming out the window pretending to have a party and moaning like a whale, while Alice and Trix are at Norton's eating turkey.

Paul Drake

Stunt Coordinator
For those comparing prices, my local Sam's has it for $34 and change. Walmart next door is a couple of dollars higher. As we all know, both stores have varying prices around the country so your local prices may vary.

Very sad to read today about Art Carney's passing. :frowning:

As much as the show was always focused on Ralph, I must admit that I've always been a big Norton fan. So much so, that I dressed up as him one Halloween when I was 8 or so!

lol...This was in the 80s...I'm pretty sure I was the only kid in my elementary school who knew who I was dressed as. (No one else was probably allowed to stay up late enough to watch the reruns!)

-Brian

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
You know Brian, thats funny you say that, because every once in a while when i was a kid in the 1980s i also got special permission every now and then, to stay up on a school night to watch.:D What a difference in quality this dvd set is from those late night showings.:emoji_thumbsup: :)

Paul Drake

Stunt Coordinator
As much as the show was always focused on Ralph, I must admit that I've always been a big Norton fan. So much so, that I dressed up as him one Halloween when I was 8 or so!
Great story! Thanks for sharing. Yes, the show focused on the Gleason character, but it wouldn't have worked without Carney's presence. To the end of his life, Gleason himself often went out of his way to praise Carney as an actor and to point out his numerous contributions.

Johnny Jr.

Stunt Coordinator
I finally picked up this great set but, when of my discs (disc three actually) had a huge scratch on the bottom and it is skipping. I am just wondering if this was indeed distrubed by paramount in Canada and if anyone knew of any contact info so I could get a replacement disc.

Thanks

Joe Karlosi

Senior HTF Member
I just wanted to ask if anyone here is a fan of the LOST HONEYMOONERS? I mean, while I've always loved the CLASSIC 39, and while I bought this new set immediately, I find these great episodes are very overplayed. I much prefer going to the more obscure LOST EPISODES these days, and I find it a real shame that so many self-proclaimed "Honeymooners Fans" are really only "Classic 39 Fans". The characters are still the same, and there are plenty of funny bits on the lost skits, too. Sure, they may not be as finely crafted, but every Honeymooners Fan owes it to himself to own these and acquaint themselves with them.

I am a Lost Episodes fan as well! However, getting the classic 39 for around $40 is a little more affordable for me than getting all of the Lost Episodes box sets at around $35 each...

-Brian

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i would buy the lost eps in a minute if i could afford them.

Dick

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rick
Does anyone know who wrote the theme that is heard under the opening credits? It only runs about 30 seconds, but it is a very evocative piece and sends shivers down my spine.

John KB

Second Unit
I've been watching the COLOR HONEYMOONERS lately and I love those. They are remakes of the LOST EPISODES. They are one hour shows with a couple of songs thrown in.

Someone is taping them for me and then I transfer the tapes on to DVDs with scene selection and moving menus.

It's so neat to see Ralph and Norton a little bit older. The songs aren't always the best, but it's cool to see them suddenly break into song!

Larry Sutliff

Senior HTF Member
I just wanted to ask if anyone here is a fan of the LOST HONEYMOONERS?
Joe, I love the Lost Episodes too! I wish the DVD's were a bit cheaper, but there are many great episodes, especially the Dorsey Brothers/New Years Eve show. Great to watch around the holidays!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks