What's new

HTF Review: The Golden Girls (complete first season) (1 Viewer)

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
I just made a report to Buena Vista about the stereo problem with Golden Girls. Here's the link to write to them to report tech problems, perhaps if we all fill this out they will know we want these replaced with stereo versions. The fact that the box says Digital Surround Sound, and there are 30 seconds of one episode in stereo (as RichardCy says earlier "If you play episode 5 on Disc 3 (The episode is called "Job Hunting" ...I think). The episode is mono, but from about 7:00 to 7:30 (end of chapter 3 and beginning of chapter 4), the sound suddenly switches to stereo for about 30 seconds." This says there is a tech problem and Buena Vista should do something about it. Here's the link to the form you can fill out:

http://video.movies.go.com/support/home.html

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
FOLLOW-UP. As I stated in my last post, I wrote to Buena Vista (email) to make a complaint about the Golden Girls not being in stereo, and the fact that one episode switches to stereo for about 30 seconds. They replied to me in an email that the program definately is 2.0 surround and that the dvd's are as well, and wanted me to call their tech office. I did just that, and had a long conversation with a man who was the most friendly person I have ever talked to on a tech issue. He was friendly, and very concerned about the issue.

I made a full report and was told I was the first he had talked to reporting this problem, although he said it's usually a week or two after release before they start getting responses on the discs. I gave him the information about where the show switches to stereo for 30 seconds on that 3rd disc episode, and he told me they are going to report this further and investigate the issue. I also told him some of us have the original taped-from-air episodes and they are stereo.

When you fill out the form (I gave the address a few posts earlier), it is now obvious to me, at least with Buena Vista that they have some very concerned people working at the places where you report these issues, so by all means fill out the form about this issue. They do care, I could tell that from this experience.

Andrew Budgell

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Andy Budgell
Robert,

I'm glad to hear that you have had some success with your suggestions to Buena Vista. Hopefully the right changes will be made for season 2+!

Andy

Benjamin.D

Stunt Coordinator
I bought the set knowing about the problem, I figured that if there was a recall, I'd be a part of it, instead of waiting for them to turn up in stores. After hering the audio, I'd love for there to be a recall of this set. This should be a reference set for TGG, and not a bad facsimile. I love having the unedited epsiodes, of course. I'd love Stereo also, though.

Ben

BBbrowd

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris
A press release for the Second Season of Golden Girls was posted at UltimateDisney.com and on the release the sound is listed as Dolby Digital MONO.

This is very disappointing. I wonder what the problem could be with this sound issue? I was really hoping these sound problems would have been taken care of for the second season. Now, if this press release is accurate, we will be getting mono sound on purpose. :frowning:

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
I can't believe that the second set is listed as mono. I have been watching beautiful stereo versions on Lifetime of all the first and second seasons, they sound awesome. When there is a band or an event the girls go to, even that music is in stereo. I've noted above in my p[ost that I made a complaint to Buena Vista, they told me I was the first to complain, so please PLEASE check out my post, it has a link and make a complaint, in numbers we have some power.

I called last week to follow up on my complaint and they said in February someone from the quality control department would be getting back to me. We have to band together and make a complaints here. Chris, I don't believe there is a reason these sets are mono except a mistake. Why is 30 seconds of that episode on the first set switching to stereo? They are having problems. I am asking all golden girls fans on this board to fill out the complaint form...HELP, then we might get not only replacements for the first season but maybe the 2nd in stereo surround, like the program was recorded originally.

Here is where you can make the complaint, and they will contact you:

http://video.go.com/support/home.html

http://video.go.com/support/home.html

RichardCy

Auditioning
I also wrote to BV after RobertSiegel gave us the address to complain to. BV replied saying they would investigate and get back to me on this issue, but they have yet to do so (many weeks later).

My feeling is the 'mono' on the press release for Season 2 is just a mistake (errors on sound formats, aspect ratios, etc, are not uncommon). Surely the complaints they received for the mono sound on Season 1 will encourage them to ensure they get the sound on Season 2 right (or is this just pointless wishful thinking on my part?...)

Could everyone please voice their concerns with BV on this issue ASAP? Click on link in post above, and write an e-mail, it only takes a couple of minutes.

If everyone gangs up on them, we just might see possitive results. If nobody bothers, the results probably won't be pretty!

Thanks!

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
Boy, I am angry today. Finally I got through to the guy in Customer service at Buena Vista Home Video, whom I made a report with after the first set was released IN MONO. The response to him from the marketing/tech department is this:

"The Golden Girls were not in stereo. The reason they are on Lifetime is that Lifetime probably altered the mono track to become stereo for the broadcasts.' CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT ONE? This is TRUE stereo on Lifetime, 5 times a day. I have VHS tapes from the first season, all say IN STEREO at the begining. Horns in the right, audience in the surrounds. I reminded him of the 5th episode on disc 3 on the first set, that switches to full stereo surround for 2 minutes.

To everyone who cares, PLEASE keep sending in complaints. He gave me this address for a letter by post:

Buena Vista Home Entertainment
PO box 3100
Neenah, WI 54957-3100

also go to:

and click on "report a problem." I plan on not buying any more of these sets until they are stereo. It's sad that Buena Vista takes us for fools with this type of response.

RobertSiegel

Reviewer
Boy, I am angry today. Finally I got through to the guy in Customer service at Buena Vista Home Video, whom I made a report with after the first set was released IN MONO. The response to him from the marketing/tech department is this:

"The Golden Girls were not in stereo. The reason they are on Lifetime is that Lifetime probably altered the mono track to become stereo for the broadcasts.' CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT ONE? This is TRUE stereo on Lifetime, 5 times a day. I have VHS tapes from the first season, all say IN STEREO at the begining. Horns in the right, audience in the surrounds. I reminded him of the 5th episode on disc 3 on the first set, that switches to full stereo surround for 2 minutes.

To everyone who cares, PLEASE keep sending in complaints. He gave me this address for a letter by post:

Buena Vista Home Entertainment
PO box 3100
Neenah, WI 54957-3100

also go to:

and click on "report a problem." I plan on not buying any more of these sets until they are stereo. It's sad that Buena Vista takes us for fools with this type of response.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks