What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: The Frighteners - Peter Jackson's Director's Cut (RECOMMENDED) (1 Viewer)

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Anyone here done any comparos to the original dvd? I liked the film but already own it. It would have to be improved in the image area for me to upgrade. Thoughts? :)

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
The original was anamorphic and looked decent. From watching parts of the new version the other nite it looked pretty good.
I just walked 1 and a 1/2 miles in the rain to swap my defective copy. They didn't ask for the Kong ticket, (I had it with me) so I kept it. Tonite I will try the new copy. Fingers crossed...

:frowning:

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill

The 4.5 hour documentary is not enough to warrant an upgrade?!?

- Steve

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
This release will only be an upgrade for me if I can get a copy that actually plays all the way through~!
Otherwise, it's a downgrade!
Man, Universal!
Has ANYONE even gotten an American Gothic set that worked?

I can't believe they don't crack down on the mexico plant. Aren't they losing alot of dough in replacements?

;)

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Ah, but Timobi Wan, man (or Jedi) does not live by subsonics alone.

Granted, I like it as much as the other guy when the couch is vibrating.

Maybe more. :b

Dave, what kind of DVD player are you using?

- Steve

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Hi Steve!

I tried it in my older JVC... (Complete freeze)
and my 4 month old oppo. which plays pretty much everything... (Skips, stutters, pauses but eventually powers through. In the EXACT same second of the storyboard doc. I can also try my fiancee's dell laptop if disc #2 has a similar issue.

;)

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Can you give me the time reference? I'll check it out on my copy.

Regards,
Steve

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
cool. I was scanning through side one when it occured. I believe it was approximately 23-25 minutes into the storyboard doc. I will check the new disc tonite and let everyone know. It DEFINITELY wasn't at the layer change.

;) d

Robert Wainwright

Stunt Coordinator
Just bought this title (R1). For some reason mine does not have 5.1!?! I thought maybe there was an equipment issue, but other titles work fine. I took it to a friend's and still only had 2.0 stereo.

I'm taking it back to Best Buy tomorrow. Anyone else have this problem?

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
No problem here with the audio, but my Denon 2900 is choking on the layer change. Video breakup, freezing, stuttering, etc. Thanks for the #*(&!@%* POS DVD-18 Universal! Looks like mine will be going to back for a replacement as well.

Dave Mack

Senior HTF Member
Robert, that's ODD!
And Doug, my sympathies. Was yours "Made in Mexico" too? I lucked out on my second copy.
I believe Universal allows you to mail in defective discs for replacement, yes? Maybe if we all start doing that instead of going back to the retailer they'd actually SEE the problem more.

That plant needs some serious help. I wonder how whoever is running it is keeping their job with this many defective units produced?

:) d

David Ely

Supporting Actor
I watched my copy for the first time last night and it too has a problem at the layer change. The chapter at the layer change is completely unwatchable. I don't have the receipt anymore, so I'm going to contact Universal about it.

For the record, my disc was made in Mexico.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Nice review.

I've never seen this film but now I'm quite curious...oh to find the time to watch it!

dave :)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Made in Mexico? Si senior! Hopefully I'll get lucky as well and the replacement will actually work. I purchased mine from Deep Discount DVD and no longer have the receipt. However, if they'll do the exchange for me I'll handle it that way. I don't feel like waiting for weeks or months for a replacement disc to grind through the bureaucratic gears at Universal. :angry:

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Hey Jason!

Or you can come to mine (with the disc). :) Rafael also mentioned the possibility of bringing this over for a movie night. Interested? What's your HT system like (ie, who's is bigger...hehe ;) )

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks