What's new

HTF REVIEW: The Flintstones - The Complete First Season (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED). (1 Viewer)

Joe_Pinney

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe Pinney
So, Herb's favorite episode is the same as mine, "The Hot Piano"? Excellent taste, Herb! I haven't seen the ep in YEARS, but I still fondly recall the way Barney reacts to having the piano dropped on his foot while trying to get it in the house, not once, but twice - by barrelling down the street and leaping head-first into a mailbox, and screaming his head off. Absolutely priceless.

This set, along with the first season set of The Jetsons, is a total no-brainer for me.

Herb Kane

Screenwriter
Joe... just the thought of that episode puts a smile on my face. That's gotta be one of the funniest half hour episodes of anything - period...! And the piano salesman (Frank Nelson).... what a character - priceless...!

Jeff... Thank you very much for the great list to compare the sets. I hope you're right about the extras being included in upcoming sets. I'm curious to hear from you or anyone with the LD's, how these DVD's compare.

Regarding the pilot, I am at least happy to hear that it wasn't just left off, although I am disappointed to hear a full episode never existed. Great to get that cleared up.

Thanks again,

Herb.

Joe_Pinney

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Joe Pinney
I'm in agreement with you, Herb - it DOES transcend the animation genre and just become one of the funniest half hour episodes of any show on TV ever. My favorite line - "Don't worry, Fred! I know what to do!" The way Mel Blanc squeaked that out - one of his best line readings ever, and that's saying a lot - is just burned into my memory. Combine that with the whole mailbox gag, the reaction of the poor mailman, and the entire "Happy Anniversary" song at the end, and you've got yourself a true classic. It will be absolutely delightful to see this episode after at least a decade of not viewing it.

My next favorite - "yeah, yeah, I'm hip, I'm hip!" and "Mm-beh-hee-hee-HAW-HAWWWWW!"

I swear, my brain is WARPED from so much TV as a kid, but what the hey! :D

Xenia Stathakopoulou

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Xenia
What are the chances for a region 2 release? They already have the looney tunes here, so would flintstones be out of the question for the near future ?:D

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Great review and comments! I too have the LD box set and I appreciate that Jeff detailed the differences. I was seriously considering passing, but now that I am reminded that the DVD has more episodes, I'm leaning to buy.

As Jeff said, the LD box set is wonderfully jokey and worthy of being done by Criterion if they had it. Loved the smoking commercials. I've pulled out the box set and await to compare to the DVD.

Mark Lx

Second Unit
Great review. For some reason, it disrturbed me as a little kid when the cat locked Fred out.

Chris Stainton

Second Unit
Besides eBay are there any good sites for picking up LD's? I would love to track down the set listed above.

Edit: Never mind, I found it.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i think the flintstones was the first cartoon i saw because i remember thinking that i should expect to see lines around the edges of real things, especially people after seeing eps of the stones on tv.

then i was confused when i couldnt see the lines around people the way the people on the stones had lines.

Jim*F

Stunt Coordinator
I searched the web and the Sunday circulars and thought I'd pass along my findings:

Amazon -- $45.44

BN.com -- $48.73

Target -- $45.99

Best Buy (in-store & online) -- Flintstones Season 1 on sale for $52.99. However, Scooby-Doo Season 1&2 is also on sale for $52.99, and for this week only, you will save an extra $25 if you buy both box sets!

So, if you want Scooby-Doo as well, Best Buy appears to be the best deal (with the additional $25 discount, that works out to only $40.49 per box set). The offer also is valid online -- I put them in my cart just to see, and if both titles are in your cart, the cost is $40.49 per box set (I would assume in-store the discount will appear when both titles are scanned at checkout -- just make sure to confirm the prices!).

Eric Paddon

Screenwriter
"Frank Nelson (perhaps most famous for his utterance of a single word; “welllllllll”)"

Actually the single word Frank Nelson was most famous for uttering was his, "Yeeeeeeeeessssssssss?" on the Jack Benny radio and TV show.

Paul Miller

Supporting Actor
I would have probably gotten Flintstones, but Futurama, Transformers came out this month and it was either Scooby Doo or Flintstones so I choose Scooby. But if this set was priced between $30-$35 I probably would have gotten it anyway.

Does anyone know of any early reviews of the Scooby Doo box set?

Paul

Tony Whalen

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony Whalen
I'll be snaggin' this one faster than 88 fingers Louie! Thanks for the review!

Pity they didn't include the Winston ads, but in this PC day and age, I'm not surprised.

Jeff Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

My brother told me that all of the original Flinstones actors died of smoking related illnesses. The actress who played Wilma was going to be in an anti-smoking PSA stating this, but she died before the ad could be made.

I don't know where he heard that from, but I thought it was interesting.

Dane Marvin

Screenwriter
Jeff, I haven't checked any of those facts regarding the voice actors' deaths, but if all of that is true, it's pretty much all the reason they need never to include the Winston ads on the DVDs. Good enough reason for anyone who has the LD to hold onto it as a great collector's item!

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member
Well, I did some looking around at IMDB and I found that Alan Reed died after what was called a long illness although it is worth pointing out that he was 70 years of age or around there when he died. Mel Blanc died of a heart condition, at least according to IMDB. I believe though that Gene Vander Pyl and the original voice of Betty Rubble died from lung related illnesses though Vander Pyl was 80 years old at time of death in 1999.

So really what I read would seem to support the initial claim, or at the very least it doesn't discredit it any.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks