What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: The Classic Comedies Collection (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED). (1 Viewer)

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Marco,

I hope your right! I've been leary of ordering this from the states, as I've never done it before, and DVDSOON is so dirt cheap on many titles (same or cheaper price as listed on the US sites, but in Canadian funds.) If they release the set without "To Be Or Not To Be" in Canada, I'd gladly pick it up. As much as I'd miss that movie, it was one of the weaker titles for extras and such, and it would be cheaper to import that title on it's own rather than the whole boxset.

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Russel,

was "To Be Or Not To Be" what was holding this set back?

I haven't heard any indications as to why there were these recent delays-issues with Warners boxsets up here in Canada...

All I know is, I really want to buy this collection a.s.a.p. and I would like to do so locally. I've been promised that the set is definitely coming and IS available in Canada. I don't understand what could be causing such a delay if that's the case though...

I do believe we will see the set by the end of the month or early April at the latest. I'm still very dissapointed over the wait, and personally do not intend to purchase any movie collection with any titles missing... just on principle.

I really hope that's not the case, but I doubt it considering it would be a lot of extra work for the studio to produce different packaging to fit less films, etc.

Impatiently waiting...

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
I went to Best Buy today and I saw all of the individual titles for sale (except Liabled Lady, although, I may have just not looked for it in the right spot), but no box set.

However, the one I went to had the recent Gangster, Tracy/Hepburn, John Wayne, Gable, Broadway to Hollywood, Hitchcock, and Film Noir box sets.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Marco,

I was under the impression that Warners doesn't own TBONTB, but licensed it for inclusion on this set. Their License doesn't apply to Canada though, so we miss out on the set. I have seen all of the indivdual titles but TBONTB on the shelves, but never the box. Canadian on-line retailers all list it as an import.

I think the same licensing issue is what has kept the Judy Garland American Masters documentary off of the Easter Parade disc.

I read all this on another thread. Your the first person who I know of who has heard otherwise, and I hope your right!

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for that info Russel, I have no idea why Warner Brothers wouldn't have tried to secure the licensing rights for their Canadian distribution also... it makes no sense.

I hope I'm right too!

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Marco,

Be sure to let us know if your store does get this as a non-import title.

Unfortunately, the best independent store in Edmonton shut down a year ago, so I'm probably going to have to order this anyway, as I don't see the franchise chainstores getting this unless it'san official release.

DavidBC

Second Unit
Russell,
I'm in Calgary, and a couple of the more reliable stores tell me that they simply aren't going to be able to get this as a non-import. And then the clerk and I bonded over our mutual sadness, but I'm still cautiously hopeful (and more than a little impatient) that we will get this set!

Chris Cheese

Stunt Coordinator
Has this box set gone out of print already? I was going to wait to buy it for a while, but if my time is already up, I'll pick it up while I still can.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Lorenzo mentioned that in post #73 above, so it has been missing from the amazon.com site for at least five days now. That is very strange. More fodder for the WB chat, I suppose.

Regards,

Jefferson

Supporting Actor
I accepted long ago that my local retailers were not going to consistantly stock older classic titles.
So, i depend soundly upon mail order.
Amazon shipped mine promptly.

I am fascinated about the restored moments (or i should say, original cut) in Stage Door.

Chris Cheese

Stunt Coordinator
This would be a good question to ask the WB folks tomorrow night. I would if I was able to participate, but I figured I'd bump it just in case. I still wish there was some kind of official word from WB about why the box seems to have disappeared and whether it will be pressed anymore or if it's gone.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
it could just be that demand was very high for this set, the 2 disc comedies are pretty well known and overall it's a helluva good bargain, it may even have unexpectedly put up better numbers than the gangsters set--that might have surprised Warners since the single disc releases in comedies didn't get the love of commentaries and special features the gangsters did (although comedies did have two two disc sets).

Chris Cheese

Stunt Coordinator
How very strange. I wonder why they would take down the entire page temporarily rather than just change the estimated shipping time if they really did just have a shortage of product. Anyway, this makes me very happy since I really want the set, but can't really afford it right now. It's nice to know that it will likely still exist at Christmastime. :)

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
Mine arrived today from Sam's Club (along with the Classic Musicals Collection) :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

Ray O

Grip

I couldn't wait for the boxset to be released in Canada. Ordered it from Barnes & Noble for $48 plus shipping, received it a couple of days ago, left at my front door. When ordering, there was mention that the GST is payable, but wasn't calculated in the checkout. Not sure if I'll get a separate invoice from the feds?

LorenzoL

Second Unit
Real Name
Lorenzo

You won't get a separate invoice for the GST. I ordered the set from Barnes and Noble and was only charged for the set and shipping and handling.

I finally have this set but I still don't understand how WB didn't know that it wasn't available in Canada.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks