What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: The Classic Comedies Collection (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED). (2 Viewers)

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Okay, I got my set today and took a quick flick through them just to see picture quality, and then we decided to watch STAGE DOOR all the way through.

I was dumbfounded!! It's got a different ending than the one I remember! The different ending is a spoiler so I'll put it in a tag

After Terry leaves the theater and the film fades into a quick montage of her stage successes, her triumphs are interspersed with a groundskeeper cutting the grass on Kay's gravestone!!!

Now I was sure the VHS and cable versions I was used to cut right from Adolph Menjou in the dressing room to the newspaper headline about the Footlights Club but, to be sure, I dug my old VHS copy out and sure enough, that sequence isn't there.

I never saw the LD version of STAGE DOOR (I assume there was one) so I don't know if this extension is there as well. If not, it must be newly restored. I haven't heard anybody mention this yet (if they already have, I'm sorry but I couldn't find it)

This really threw me for a loop. I assume it was removed for a reissue (and I can guess why...sheesh, it IS a real downer!)and it was a reissue print used to master the old cable and VHS versions (even though the old VHS box proclaimed it as the "original studio version.")

It's quite a shock when you aren't expecting it and I was pretty excited to see something different in a movie I am so familiar with, but I haven't yet seen anybody make reference to it...which makes me think it may have already been present in the LD. Can anybody help on this??

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
Okay, I watched this again and I am struck by just how creepy and out of place this extended scene is. Maybe I'm just used to STAGE DOOR the way I remember it. Can ANYONE give me information as to whether this extension is present on the LD or new to home video for this release?

It looks slightly grainier than the scene that precedes it, but the transition to the newspaper headline seems smooth and free of a cut. I'd LOVE to know the history on this!

Eric Peterson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Eric Peterson
That's interesting Will. I just watched Stage Door for the first time about a year ago on VHS, and I certainly don't recall any scene with a groundskeeper cutting the grass over her grave. I'll have to check that scene out tonight.

Haggai

Senior HTF Member
I have no idea whether it was on the LD or not, but I watched the DVD with several people who were familiar with the movie (I'd never seen it before), and they were all really surprised to see this new stuff that Will mentioned. If no one has else mentioned it on this thread, it's probably because they haven't seen the movie before or haven't watched the DVD yet--that is, I think these are both more likely explanations than not commenting on it because it was already on a laserdisc version.

Rob_Ray

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rob Ray
I sampled Stage Door last night, and compared it to the laserdisc. In addition to being a much sharper transfer, I did notice the expanded montage mentioned in the spoiler above and also noticed a completely different opening title roll.

The laserdisc is obviously taken from a reissue print because Lucille Ball, Ann Miller and Eve Arden are given top billing along with Hepburn, Rogers and Menjou. The credits dissolve over one another against the theatrical wallsheet.

On the DVD, the credits roll rather than dissolve and do not include Arden and Miller at all. Lucy is given a lower "featured player" billing. In addition, the theatrical wallsheet against which the credits roll does not take up the entire screen as on the laserdisc. The DVD shows a stage door to the left of the wallsheet.

The DVD also contains an ending cast listing which does not appear on the laserdisc. Now I need to watch the entire film to find any other changes.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
How exciting! I never noticed the opening credits were different...I just thought that I hadn't remembered the stage door on screen or that the VHS had been too fuzzy for me to make it out. When I grabbed my old vhs to check the montage, I just went right to the scene I wanted and didn't think to check for anything else.

So now we know it wasn't on the LD either. I, too want to check for other small differences now. I'm STILL not sure exactly how I feel about that buzz-kill scene extension! :frowning:

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Has anyone actually found this box set at a retail store? There seems to be some kind of production or distribution problem with it. It was my most anticipated title of the last several months, and I don't have it yet because I can't find anyone locally to take my money for it. I actually avoided ordering it on line so I could have "instant gratification". Ten days later I am beginning to suspect that was the wrong strategy. :)

Regards.

Will Krupp

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Will
I got mine from Amazon and had to wait nearly a week after street date for it. But like you, Ken, I have yet to see it on a store shelf.

Roger Rollins

Supporting Actor
Got mine at BEST BUY on street date (and am LOVIN' IT....) (even though I had one on order from Amazon).

Went back a week later to buy another as a gift. Salesguy said they sold out 1st day, and had re-ordered.

LaurenceGarvey

Second Unit
I know somebody who got one at Sam's Club last weekend; said he paid $42 and that they seem to have sold well (a big space, but only 3 or 4 boxes left in it).

Jay*W

Second Unit
I found my copy at Sam's as well, on Tuesday of this week. It was the last/only copy!

Todd Robertson

Second Unit
As of today, there are STILL no copies of the collection on any local shelves. I ordered yesterday from Amazon and recieved it today! The only bummer is that the two SE slipcovers are NOT part of the box set. Those, I miss. If you buy the box set and want the covers, I think they should send them out if requested.

LorenzoL

Second Unit
Real Name
Lorenzo
My boxset order from Amazon.ca has been cancelled yesterday. I try searching it on Amazon.com and they no longer have a link to it.

Does anyone know if any other online retailer carries it or has any Canadians had any luck finding the boxset in the B&M stores here?

Is it true that the boxset was not brought to Canada because of legal reasons?

Can somebody help me out on this?

The one set that I'm dying to get my hands on and it seems that is a near impossible task in finding it.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I finally found one at the Dearborn, MI Borders. It was listed as "on the way" in their inventory system yesterday and they wouldn't reserve it for me since they were only getting one box. They recommended I check back today, which I did at lunch. It had arrived yesterday evening and had not been shelved yet. An employee retrieved it from the back of the store for me. :emoji_thumbsup:

It is bizarre that it seems to have disappeared from Amazon's system though. It previously was "B0006Z2KXY" in their system, which does not seem to exist anymore.

Regards,

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member

I would like to know this also, I'm getting frustrated of browsing store shelves to find that it hasn't been stocked...

LorenzoL

Second Unit
Real Name
Lorenzo
I ended up placing an order at Barnes and Nobles online as they had the set in stock wih a 3-7 days delivery date.

It came to $52.50 US for the set with delivery charge included as they deliver to Canada via Canada Post. They also indicated that they will charge GST so I'm wondering how this will be collected since they did not charge me while I was checking out.

I just want this boxset really bad and I refuse to buy the individual titles.

I guess I have to wait and see if it will be delivered to me.

Eric DiPiazza

Stunt Coordinator
Mine just shipped from DVDEmpire.com and I just placed the order late last night! So they still seem to be in stock as I'm writing this. Does anybody know why this is so hard to aquire?

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
I was just speaking with a store clerk from La Boite Noire in Montreal who had promised me that these sets WERE coming to Canada... or there store at the very least, and for whatever reason, there was just a delay. No legal situations or anything else as far as I've heard.

On another note, I've finally been able to track down the first wave of Fox Noir titles in retail and picked them all up today for $11.99 CAD each.

PatW

Screenwriter
Real Name
Patricia
My Amazon.ca order was cancelled as well. I just received
my set today from Barnes & Noble.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member