What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: The Butterfly Effect (1 Viewer)

Paul D G

Screenwriter
I enjoyed this in the theatre and look forward to picking it up. The only problem I really had with the film was:

that they kept bringing up how much brain cells were being used by his continued time travel trips. I expected this to have an impact on him physically.

I'm holding off reading about the new ending until I see it.

-paul

richardWI

Second Unit
This movie got savaged in the press; I remember one reviewer calling it "Dude, where's my karma?" but who knows, it may have a better, second life in the alternate reality of the home video market.

Jeff Adams

Screenwriter
This movie was such a GREAT film. I loved it and cannot wait for the dvd. The film did not sugar coat any of the unsettling and disturbing subject matter. Ashton was fabulous in this movie and showed that he can play a serious role. I want to read about the DC ending but am going to use some self discipline here and wait to watch it. On the not of the ending, I did like the theatrical ending and did not think it was a happy ending at all.

Dillon*G

Second Unit
I will definately pick this up.I loved this movie and it will be a great addition to my collection.

Justin_S

Senior HTF Member

Quite true, but I've come to never trust critics that much, as too many fantastic films get the thumbs down from them, this gem being a prime example. My favorite views were those of Leonard Maltin and his female sidekick, who mainly disliked the film for, of all things, the fact that it was unflinching in its depiction of the disturbing subject matter. :rolleyes

Malcolm Cleugh

Second Unit
Please can someone who lives in Canada confirm it the release in Canada includes the DTS track ? Given its from Alliance I'm uncertain, although there is a English 2.0 track they could drop. Am happy provided you get English DD & DTS 5.1
I'm not bothered by bilingual packagings its just the soundtracks. Its only C$26.98 which is a lot less than buying the US version if you import to the UK.

Many thanks

Malcolm

Zachary Cohen

Stunt Coordinator
The original ending IS on the disc. It is a flipper and SIDE A has the director's cut while SIDE B has the theatrical cut.

Roger J

Stunt Coordinator
Five of us (all adults) watched the disc a couple of nights ago. None of us had seen the fim theatrically and I opted for the Director's cut version. Afterward, I flipped the disc over and played the last chapter of the theatrical version. We all agreed that the DC was a better ending to this story, even if it was a bit more of a "downer".

I didn't read the description of the DC ending above, but if anyone thinks it is "stupid" based on the description, then I suspect it is a problem with context. The DC ending is definitely not stupid and is very unconventional.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
I will be avoiding this DVD, based purely on the highly-intrusive web advertising for this title (and not just on the HTF). :angry: The line has to be drawn somewhere. ...But thank you for the review. :emoji_thumbsup: I will wait for the movie to appear on non-subscription TV before making my mind up whether to buy the (by-then, discounted) disc.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
i thought it was i terrific movie.
i just watched the dc and the end was very well done.

i still dont know how the theatrical version ends though.

so, philip, you wont buy this because new line is heavily advertising it.
to me that says they think it is a very well done movie and dvd and want to sell alot of copies.
and to sell alot of copies is the whole point for a studio isnt it.

i'm glad it has alot of exposure as this may enable more people to see it.

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG

If I had a penny for every bad product that was agressively advertised then I wouldn't need to be selective about my blind buys. :)

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
"based purely on the highly-intrusive web advertising for this title (and not just on the HTF).The line has to be drawn somewhere"

:confused: Its not worse than any other online advertising Ive seen.

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
thats true philip but could you address why you are so bothered by this movies aggressive advrts.

and also....what jonZ said.

Moe*A

Stunt Coordinator
Saw this on the weekend, what a fantastic movie, has to be one of the more original films I have seen (I am sure people will now tell me that it is not that original). I a bit bummed that the disc is a flipper, I might hold on till the UK release is out to see if it is a two disc set, however DTS is always going to be the winner for me.

I really did like the what if scenario and could have continued watching for a few more hours despite a few rather large plot holes. Ashton even came across as a guy you could take seriously as an actor, despite what you may think of the guy don’t let that put you off seeing this wonderful film. Defiantly one of the best so far this year.

MikeEckman

Screenwriter

For what its worth, the correct definition of a "flipper" is a DVD in which the film itself is split between different sides of the disc, which causes you to stop the player, eject the tray, flip the disc, then play the other side.

A DVD-14 or 18 in which the whole movie resides on one side, and supplements, or an alternate cut of the film on the other side is not called a flipper.

I agree with you, I would have rather had two separate discs, but only for asthetics (sp?) only.

In regards to the film though, this was one of those movies that when I first saw the trailer, I was highly intrigued by the plot, but was disappointed that an actor as poor as Ashton Kutcher was in it. My curiousity got the better of me and I saw it in the theater and was amazed at how well he performed. Granted, its not Oscar worthy by any means, but he did go several steps higher than his usual performance to make this an enjoyable pic for me. I just picked up the DVD today and look forward to watching it.

PaulP

Senior HTF Member

What web advertising, what's that? Ah yes, I vaguely remember now. Thank god for AdShield! :D

Mike~Sileck

Supporting Actor
I'm gonna view this tonight, I hope it's as good as everyone says.

~ The ads are ads, big deal, I'm way over that, but I did get a little jump from the audible *shriek* (if you will) that the ad on the middle of htf does. ~

Will post my thoughts on the film later

Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks