What's new

DVD Review HTF Review: The Black Hole (1 Viewer)

Rex Bachmann

Screenwriter
Real Name
Rex Bachmann
AndyMcKinney wrote (post #80):

quote: In my personal experience, I've always associated "camp" with the British definition and "campy" with the 'American' meaning (i.e. the 1960s Batman TV show).

Have you ever heard Adam West and/or Burt Ward talk about their experiences making that show? About a "confirmed" masked bachelor living with and going around in the company of a boy in colored tights? They were quite aware of the possible implications throughout the show's life, as they've said many times in interviews. That's why they felt the "corny" dialog was the only thing they could do with such material (on popular television of the time).

Jeff Robertson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff Robertson
The Anchor Bay version has the overture playing over a static starfield image. The Disney version has the overture playing over words on the screen that say "The Black Hole, Overture".

Which is the correct representation of the theatrical release?

SilverWook

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bill
My memory of what I saw in 1979 was the overture playing over a black screen. I had never seen a movie with an overture before, and it puzzled me at the time. My other memory of that screening was my dad laughing hysterically when that meteor goes bowling through the interior of the Cygnus, ;)

You just know Disney will do a remake someday. Some Japanese company made figures of the robots a couple years back as part of their line of Disney characters. The movie was actually in development several years before Star Wars, although I'm sure SW got the ball rolling on production.

I laughed my head off at one episode of Sealab 2021, in which Commander Murphy is tormented by a robot that looks a lot like Vincent!

One cool thing about the old Laserdisc is it's actually anamorphic! (Sort of.) It's cropped at the sides of course, but the transfer was "squeezed" as well and fits a widescreen tv.

The only nit I had to pick with the AB disc was the "Distributed by Buena Vista" credit at the beginning was omitted. It was in the same computer typeface as the movie credits. Does the Disney DVD retain this?

Jeff Robertson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff Robertson
Hmmm....so the answer to my question is that neither is correct! I hadn't considered that it could have just been a plain black screen. If/when Disney's Blu-Ray is released, I hope they either go all-black or use the Anchor Bay approach. The words are just inappropriate.

Andre Bijelic

Stunt Coordinator
Originally Posted by Jeff Robertson

Hmmm....so the answer to my question is that neither is correct! I hadn't considered that it could have just been a plain black screen. If/when Disney's Blu-Ray is released, I hope they either go all-black or use the Anchor Bay approach. The words are just inappropriate.
This was released back in the day when most theatres still had curtains covering the screen. I remember seeing this and the first "Star Trek" around the same time as a kid. The overture to both films came up, then the curtains parted and the films proper started.
Edited by Andre Bijelic - 7/9/2009 at 02:36 pm GMT

Jeff Robertson

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jeff Robertson
Interesting. I saw the movie in the a small theater originally also and I just cannot recall what I saw during the overture. It sounds like it could be at the theater's discretion as to what was actually being projected (or not) on the screen.

I just hope whatever Disney decides to do for the Blu-Ray, they do not duplicate what was on the DVD. The placement of words implies that they think their audience needs educating in this regard.

Originally Posted by Andre Bijelic

This was released back in the day when most theatres still had curtains covering the screen. I remember seeing this and the first "Star Trek" around the same time as a kid. The overture to both films came up, then the urtains parted and the films proper started.

Harry-N

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Harry N.
Correct. I saw it in a small multiplex in a local mall and recall the overture playing while the curtain was closed and the lights were dimming. As it reached the end of the overture, the curtains opened and the film proper began. It was identical to the approach used for STAR TREK: THE MOTION PICTURE.

Harry

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation715
Recent bookmarks