What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: The 40-Year-Old Virgin - Unrated Edition (RECOMMENDED) (1 Viewer)

Mike_Richardson

Supporting Actor
The only thing about the PQ -- this movie didn't look great in theaters either. The budget was low and the film had a drab, unappealing, TV-like look theatrically when I saw it (many mentioned this fact). Whether that had anything to do with how the disc was authored, I don't know, but it certainly isn't an attractive looking film regardless -- just a funny one :)

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I'm really mad that the theatrical version isn't available in widescreen. I liked the theatrical edit, and if they aren't going to use branching, they should make both versions available. :angry:

Max Leung

Senior HTF Member
The PQ in the theater was quite bad too - very soft and I remember seeing some halos in spots.

Perhaps the source is to blame, and not the mastering?

Mark Cappelletty

Senior HTF Member
I thought the PQ was fine, actually. Didn't bother me. I don't think there was too much on the disc (necessitating the 2-discer that some people want)-- it's just the film, the commentary and a bunch of deleted scenes (and one tiny making-of).

But the additional scenes hardly add anything-- for once, I would have preferred the theatrical cut and left the deleted scenes as extras. I thought the theatrical cut was PERFECT and this, while still tremendously funny, feels like what it is-- 15 minutes too long.

On the other hand, the additional scenes in LAND OF THE DEAD were genuinely appreciated, particularly the bit with John Leguizamo in Fiddler's Green.

Dave H

Senior HTF Member
While the source may have had issues, I think the actual transfer was goofed up. I thought the DVD had a very digital, non-filmlike look to it. Yes, quite diappointing.

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Yeah, it did look very "digital" and processed. Not nearly as annoying to me as plenty of other new stuff I've watched lately. So I'd give it a pass mark for sure, but no PQ kudos. Considering the budget, quite acceptable to me and I won't slam it. I would if they had $10M+/movie stars like WotW for instance.

Luckily it's very funny and *oh so true* (anybody else pick out some "characteristics" that might identify an acquaintance/friend as a 40YOV?).

Since I didn't see the film in the theater I don't know what the added scenes were, except as mentioned here. But that "dream" sequence sure could have been left out IMO; I liked that foul-mouthed blonde in the speed dating, wouldn't have minded more of her instead...

ZacharyTait

Senior HTF Member
According to The Digital Bits, Universal will release the theatrical cut of 40YOV this Tuesday, January 24th, in its OAR. Yea! Kudos to Universal for doing this. It should have been released day and date with the other 3 versions, but better late than never.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I don't know if a company should get kudos for something that should have been done in the first place.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation111
Recent bookmarks