What's new

HTF REVIEW: Swordfish - guilty pleasure DVD at its best! (1 Viewer)

What is this talk about Berry's breasts? (heh...that sounds kinda exciting, a cocktail maybe?). I myself was more impressed by the scene where Halle is pointing a gun wearing that lovely black lingerie. :)
The opening scene is very exceptional compared to the rest of the movie. I do object to some of the themes considering the recent events. Of course these things need to be addressed, but I was a bit puzzled about what the film was trying to say.

Bjoern Roy

Second Unit
Damnit, my copy didn't even ship yet
frown.gif

------------------
"Never underestimate the predictability of stupidity" (Bullet Tooth Tony in 'Snatch')
Bjoern's Place (my HT in action, DVD reviews, SPL measurements...) | 'Edge Enhancement' Guide

Matt Wooten

Second Unit
i am very happy to hear this is a great dvd. this was to me one of the better movies of this summer. its good to be able to have this baby home just in time for halloween.. :0
------------------
gillian_aktex10.jpg

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
This is one movie I was disappointed to miss in theaters. I'm a big fan of loud, boisterous nonsense action movies. (Usually, anyway.)
Thanks for the scoop, Ron! I trust this one is more entertaining than Exit Wounds!
laugh.gif

------------------
Scott Weinberg
------------------
http://www.ofcs.org

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I'm guessing that You(RON) added your additional comments about the fun part to make sure the thread doesn't develop into a flame war over whether its a bad movie or not.
This is actually a good thing but with a movie called Swordfish what do you expect :)
Anyway I'll be renting it at the very least. I know a few folks willing to buy it so I may just borrow it from them. Heck I liked Exit Wounds so this can't be that bad right?
Driven was terrible though
frown.gif

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
This film is superior to Exit Wounds.
------------------
ronbo.jpg

Ronald Epstein (pronounced like the English "Ronald Epstein")
Circa 2000
Home Theater Forum Administrator
All forum questions & to get on our private forum mailing list (new members)... Email: [email protected]
Problems with the webpage or site? Contact WEBMASTER
Email Packy [email protected]

Han

Second Unit
My wife and I were watching The Tie That Binds on TV the other day and some password situation came up (I think it was this movie). To get past a security system, someone mentioned The password is: Swordfish. Weird! I haven't found any connection between the two movies since then, but haven't really tried.

Steve Christou

Long Member
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steve Christou
Breasts? Who said breasts? Let me check the posts hmmm hmmm hmmm hmmm, Wow!
I missed this at the cinemas but from reading this thread I can see there are two very good reasons for me to pick this up, I'm with you guys, oh wait Travolta's in it too! What a bonus! :)
[Edited last by Steve Christou on October 23, 2001 at 06:15 PM]

Steven Simon

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Steven Simon
I saw this movie in the theaters and was eagerly anticipating it's release on dvd... Warner has really come to the forefront on Video transfers.... I found this 2:35:1 transfer flawless..... This dvd looks so much like Film , it's scary!!!
------------------
Thanks,
Steven R. Simon
HTF Administrator
Theater Pics Updated 9-11-2001
Send Email: [email protected]

Elbert Lee

Supporting Actor
I agree wiht Ron that, in terms of cinema, Swordfish was better than Exit Wounds. EW's is refreshing as a grittier, street violence-type movie trying to have clever villains, but is not in the BIG MOVIE category like Swordfish. I think Swordfish could have used a more believable "hero" and a more realistic approach to his personal situation. Sena never made Hugh Jackman seem believable as one of the top hackers in the world. This film could have used a Bryan Singer touch to truly make is a "smart" thriller as a sly thriller underneath all of the summer blockbuster action.
Elbert

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
Ron, there's no need to feel guilty from the pleasure derived from this DVD. This was IMO a sleeper of a hit and one that I enjoyed at the theater. It surprises me that quite a few people complain about John Travolta's performance in this movie. I thought his performance was on par with most anything else he's done of late. Anyway, I have it on order and hope to recieve it Saturday or Monday.
[Edited last by Reginald Trent on October 27, 2001 at 05:52 AM]

Reginald Trent

Screenwriter
BTW I seem to recall reading somewhere that this DVD WILL NOT be available for RENTAL. Seems Warner may be trying to bypass Blockbuster.

Michael Lee

Supporting Actor

William Ward

Supporting Actor
I haven't ordered it but will be picking it up from Wal-Mart after work Monday Evening/Tues Morning. Looking forward to see what Ms. Berry['s chest] brings to the table.
wink.gif

------------------
William
Go Bucs!!
MyDVDs

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
---I thought his performance was on par with most anything else he's done of late.----
You mean he is as good as he was in "Battlefield Earth"?! I just have to rent this one....I haven't had a really good laugh in a long time. :)

Vegas 1

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Alvin Kuenster
Just finished watching Swordfish & I agree with Ron's review. The first explosion seen is something to see & hear if you have not seen the movie. I also enjoyed Exit Wounds but not as much. Way to go Warner Bros. These movies are certainly not the best but the dvd's are great IMHO.

Michael Lee

Supporting Actor
Okay-
I enjoyed this more than I thought I would. There were the obvious good points and she was in plenty of scenes. The first explosion really took me by surprise...by the earliness of it and the Matrix-like, yet different, camera angles. Travolta makes a better bad guy than a good guy at times.
------------------
Link Removed
My Home Theater Pics
My Equipment List
My DVD Collection
Link Removed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks