What's new

DVD Review HTF Review: Swimming Pool - Unrated Version (1 Viewer)

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor
^ thanks, but it still doesn't mention the Seville version. :frowning: However, DVDSoon is advertising it as the Unrated version. :)

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Yes, the Seville version is unrated. It does not have the dts soundtrack, and the extras are different, actually significantly better than the Uni version. The French language version of this Seville release is apparently slightly different again, has undubbed interviews as Charlotte Rampling speaks French as well as the French actors do.

What to do...since I haven't received my Uni pre-order yet it's not too late to cancel. I'm a big dts fan, but for this type of movie it doesn't really matter much...I think...

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor
I knew about the DTS difference but not the extras. What extras are different? I guess I might have to cancel my Uni preorder too..

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
The Seville apparently has the same extras as the Uni release, and adds a photo gallery, another version of the trailer, and a half hour interview featurette.

I am still wary of the video quality on the Seville since it comes from PAL country, and those transfers to DVD have not been the greatest on Canadian releases lately. I am much more concerned with PQ than losing any possibly slightly better dts audio on this one.

My ordering strategy when I'm unsure of a release's content is to pre-order it with something else that comes out a few weeks later, so I can get the cheaper (at amazon) pre-order price but still cancel if it turns out to be a loser for some reason, after I can find a detailed review. I ordered Swimming Pool with the Ed Wood SE (good price at amazon.ca) so I have about 2 more weeks to make the "big" decision...

Tom Tsai

Supporting Actor
^ lol, we think so alike. I too just added a pre-order to my Amazon.ca "Swimming Pool" order so that it won't be shipped out anytime soon.

Although I'm afraid that DVDsoon's price will go up soon.

Mario Bartel

Stunt Coordinator
The Seville cover is definitely better :)

I rented this tonight, and I think CraigF's concerns about the picture quality on the Seville release are valid. The blacks are kinda washed out and the picture seemed to stutter a bit during camera pans (thankfully, there's not a lot of those).

Otherwise this is a very good film. I loved the tension between Sarah and the young, promiscuous Julie, and their transformation as each becomes more intrigued by the other. In fact, had that been the whole plot of the film, that would have been enough for me (sort of a Woman on the Train ;) ). As things started to get weird, I rolled my eyes, but the ending definitely saves it.

JonZ

Senior HTF Member
I saw this in the theater and didnt notice anything that was different between the R and Unrated versions.

Eric Sevigny

Stunt Coordinator
I'm considering getting the Universal version instead of the Seville as well. Anyone knows if you can turn off all subtitles for the Uni version (i.e. no subtitles at all during playback)? I don't really need them and it would pain me to have to watch it with forced subtitles :)

CraigF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig
Well, my "ordering strategy" noted above was a bust this time. You see, Ed Wood got cancelled (or something) at the "last minute", so I don't know if/when I'll get the Uni Swimming Pool. But had ordered the Seville one too, JIC, so I guess that'll come eventually. Re the PQ, it's as expected these days, but you should realise, that like The Pianist for example, it's certainly not terrible and unwatchable, just not as good as if they had done a proper NTSC transfer like Uni, annoying to know it's not right.

These days, I have noticed that amazon.ca typically allows you to pre-order the U.S. version of movies, cheaper than the Canadian version usually, but then discontinues the U.S. release availability about a week after it's released if there's a Canadian equivalent.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks