What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: "Sunset Boulevard" (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

David Von Pein

Senior HTF Member
Makes sense Robert.
Thanks.
Having it not spelled out for me within Holden's narration, your "I'm a cad and can't continue to deceive poor Betty any longer" explanation had not occurred to me. I guess I just have a difficult time believing Joe's character would take such a saintly turn in the blink of the camera's eye. But, it certainly is a plausible explanation for Joe's behavior.

BTW, Robert (and everyone), have you ever seen a better, crisper B&W DVD transfer than this one for Sunset Blvd.?
It's very nearly perfect, as far as my eyes can tell.
Great film. Great DVD.
:)

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
This dvd arrived on my doorstep today and watched the Making of, absolutely brilliant.
the one question I have is about the Silent film Queen Kelly directed by von Stroheim and starring Swanson.
Anybody know if it is available on dvd
:emoji_thumbsup:

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
There are quite a number of black and white transfers which are more beautiful and more accurate to the original that Sunset.

While there is no denying that this is a very attractive transfer, there is a total lack of middle tones as well as shadow detail which no longer exist in the digital "restoration."

This is a beautifully produced DVD (and produced with all the right intentiions) which is in no way representative of the look of the original.

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
I watched this yesterday and absolutely adored it.

To supplement Crawdaddy's answer to David, Joe's self loathing was evident throughout the movie and was the key to that decision.

--
Holadem

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks