1. Guest,
    If you need help getting to know Xenforo, please see our guide here. If you have feedback or questions, please post those here.
    Dismiss Notice

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: "Sunrise" (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) (with screenshots)

Discussion in 'DVD' started by Ronald Epstein, Feb 14, 2003.

Tags:
  1. Bob Pierce

Bob Pierce Well-Known Member

Thanks for the info, Malcolm! Looking at your list, I see that getting a copy of Sunrise will be no problem.

Much appreciated,

- Bob

2. Gordon McMurphy

Gordon McMurphy Well-Known Member

I would be interested to know exactly how much pressings Fox has made of Sunrise. How many people do they expect to take advantage of the offer? 1000? 5000? 10,000? Would it really be that big of a deal for them to simply issue the DVD seperately? I find Fox's logic quite beguiling on this issue. I need this DVD. But I don't want to feel forced into partaking in a "special" offer to do so. Don't get me wrong; I like the other Fox Classic, but don't feel compelled enough to buy three of them in order to get Sunrise - but I can't even do that, as I live in Britain! Grrr! [​IMG]

Don't be denied.

Gordy

3. Claes Ljunghorn

Claes Ljunghorn Well-Known Member

4. oscar_merkx

oscar_merkx Well-Known Member

then it would be funny that the day after FOX UK decides to put it on sale on February 1, 2004 for R2

[​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Rain

Rain Well-Known Member

6. Seth Paxton

Seth Paxton Well-Known Member

Dome,

I understand your fear of "arthouse" film fans recommendations of old films, but the truth is that many/most "old" films had the same sort of mass target audience as today's films. The other Best Pix winner from '27, Wings might most remind you of a good version of Pearl Harbor. Yes, FX were not as strong, but the artistry was strong when these FX were in the hands of the masters. And we also have to fight through the loss of picture info due to the handling of films before restoration and preservation came into focus (which is actually very recent indeed).

Sunrise does feature Murnau's beautiful expressionistic touch, but it serves to tell a rather approachable narrative. Man cheating on wife decides to recommit to his wife after he sees how she now fears him. It's a narrative that would very much fit in a contemporary film.

The only trick is getting used to different approaches to narrative that are indicative of the era. Often though, this approaches are even more saavy than what is used today. At least in the films that were good enough to be remembered 80-100 years later.

Man, Ron, that review really surprised me. I had no idea that FOX was putting that much effort into it. I won't harp on the much debated issue of the "free only" method, but hopefully Peter realizes that such an offer seemed to be sending a message of "we don't plan on putting much effort into this".

I was just thankful that the film was getting to DVD in some form. But now I guess I have to nix the idea of waiting till Grapes of Wrath comes out to get my 3 DVDs (Day the Earth, Mrs. Muir, Grapes). I have All About Eve from the earlier release, so I guess I have to go get the other 3 out now. This DVD looks too good to wait on anymore.

Your little plan to use Sunrise to sell other DVDs to me is working, ya son'of'a... [​IMG] :p)

7. Kirk Tsai

Kirk Tsai Well-Known Member

A must buy...or somehow get on my hands.

8. Joel Vardy

Joel Vardy Well-Known Member

I appreciate the review and very much look forward to viewing 'Sunrise' as soon as it comes in.

I placed my order on the first day possible (for those of us not able to get early copies of the first 3 Fox classics on the list). That would make it over 4 weeks thus far. I hope to see it within the next 2-3 weeks. Anyone actually received a copy from the pomotion yet?

Joel

9. Carrol

Carrol Active Member

I'm absolutely ringing my hands waiting for my copy to show up in the mail. I sent my stubs and the rest of the required info off to Fox on January 15th. My check was cashed weeks ago, so that let's me know it's been processed.

I wonder what the hold up is. Has anyone recieved his or hers?

Carrol

10. Scott Calvert

Scott Calvert Well-Known Member

Carrol, I sent in my check and POP's on the 17th of Jan, still no Sunrise. I'm sure they'll be sent out soon.

11. DaViD Boulet

DaViD Boulet Well-Known Member

Do receipts work for buying the 3 discs on-line as well? I get almost everything from deep discount dvd.

-dave

12. Brian PB

Brian PB Well-Known Member

Gosh . . . I hope so. That's how I get mine, too. Just in case, I think I'll send along the original packing slips.

For more Sunrise info, see this link.

13. Simon_Lepine

Simon_Lepine Well-Known Member

I haven't got a Fox Classic DVD yet, but it actually says the Sunrise offer is not available to Quebec residents on the rules ? Anyone that bought one in Quebec can confirm? maybe the rules are just just different over here.

I have a hard time understanding why we would be excluded here, considering the Fox Classics I saw in the store have the Sunrise sticker on them ...

14. Malcolm R

Malcolm R Well-Known Member

Malcolm
    Everything I've seen says US and Canada only (excluding Quebec). Probably in order to satisfy Quebec's eccentric rules, the packaging would have to be bi-lingual and it's not worth it to Fox to meet those requirements.

15. Brian PB

Brian PB Well-Known Member

Could someone please post the UPC number for Sunrise ? Since it's only available through the Fox special offer, I can't find it in any online databases.
    Thanks

16. BrianP

BrianP Well-Known Member

17. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Well-Known Member

It is not absolutely free. You must pay for shipping & handling.

18. Joel Vardy

Joel Vardy Well-Known Member

Just received my copy of Sunrise (placed order on 1/24) a couple of days ago. It is a pleasure of a movie. The cinematography is superb, for any era. Interesting set of extras with good commentary and other tidbits as have been already reported by Ron. Just loved it.

Joel

19. Jeff_HR

Jeff_HR Well-Known Member

I'm sending for my copy today.

20. Scott Kimball

Scott Kimball Well-Known Member

It's a crime that a film of this calibre isn't available for direct purchase.

I refuse to buy other titles to get this, on principle. I only have a desire for one film on the list.

One wonders why such a restoration effort was undertaken, only to restrict distribution.

[​IMG]