What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: "Star Wars Episode II: Attack of the Clones" (HIGHLY RECOMMENDED) (with screen (1 Viewer)

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Let's get back to the DVD review of this! I fell into the trap of defending the movie myself. I think I am too sensitive about ANYTHING negative written about Star Wars! I admit it and will change....just shortly after 2005!
Seriously folks, let's log out-chill out, check out Padme in that blue deleted scene boys! And enjoy this dvd as it looks to be FANTASTIC! :emoji_thumbsup:

Matt Stone

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Stone
Steve...we understand what you believe, we just don't agree with it. If you don't like good dialog, that's fine...I do. I also think Star Wars has had a lot of good dialog, and a lot of bad too...but to say that Lucas intended to write good dialog is nuts.
And Richard,
Yep...I agree with you 100%. I'm not saying there weren't any b-movie-esque lines, I'm just saying that it wasn't all b-movie dialog.
As for the DVD, as everyone who participates in the numerous SW threads already knows, I'm a fanboy chump...and never has a DVD gotten me this excited ;)

Joe6pack99

Second Unit
Real Name
Jarett
Blah Blah Blah Blah!
Lets see this is STAR WARS EPII so will i be buying....DAMN STRAIGHT! On top of that it is pretty much A/V wise the best damn disc out there from every review out there. On top of that has great extras and extras and extras and just like EP1 will prob come out at BB or wherever for like $15.99 or so.
In other words for a dvd at that price you really won't find a more complete package out there. Start praising the disc especially in today's time when more and more movies are being released as P@S with bare bones worth of extras.
Good Job to all who had a part in making this disc :)

Shawn Shultzaberger

Supporting Actor
Thanks Ron for a great review. I am really looking forward to seeing this. This just might be the card up my sleave I need to get my wife to agree that a HDTV is what we need. :D
By the way, how was the sonic blast in the asteroid scene?

Steve K.H.

Supporting Actor
At the risk of impulse buying (like no one is guilty of that), I try to restrict purchases to films that have definitive "rewatchability"...

Star Wars saga fits that description.

I saw the flick once (day 2 of the release). I left with a feeling that this film grossly overdramatized a less than believable relationship between Anakin and Padme... it was much too scripted, lacking of any personality, almost as though you could feel the actors were not able to explore their talents.

That said, I really enjoyed the show! Sure it could have used another 20 minutes of editing (or perhaps a few more takes in the filmmaking) on some scenes, but the opening chase scene and the ending made for a real sense of "Wow, that was cool".

Besides, once the first and second trilogy are released, it wouldn't make much sense to have Episodes 1, 3, 4, 5, 6 as a matter of spite against some less than inspired acting/scriptwriting in Episode 2. The visual and audio effects in your living room are miles better than enduring another episode of canned laughter.

Steve_Br

Auditioning
Well, enough of this arrogant "my opinion is better, or rules over yours." type stuff. It's all opinion, mine isn't better than yours and yours isn't better than mine.

Paul-Gunther

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the review. Can't wait for this one.

In respect to the dialogue, I've got to agree with Patrick back on page one: SW dialogue has always been bad. We don't notice it in the originals because we grew up with them, but there are scenes in the OT that are filled with dialogue just as painfully bad as these new films. The Ewok chat between Luke and Leia is ten times worse than Anakin and Padme's fireside chat, as far as I'm concerned. And I don't believe that Lucas was trying to write great dialogue for the film, no. He's always said he's not a writer. He's not trying to be something that he knows he's not.

Jed M

Senior HTF Member
Jacob wrote:
The poorly written script and the awful acting by hayden made it very hard to watch episode 2. I think the kid from episode 1 was much better.. I know many don;t agree with that.. Mark Hamill is even better then Hayden. I like the other star wars movies much better.. I even like episode 1 better..
Agreed!!! I blame the script more than the actors but I have come to expect this from Lucas. Great story, great scenery, great special effects, lousy script writing. I am still going to buy it since it is "Star Wars" and a reference DVD.
Thanks for the review Ron. I always enjoy them. :emoji_thumbsup:

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
I'm only skimming, because I'm not interested in participating in this debate again, but what's with all the serial bashing? Like everything else, there are good serials and bad serials. Flash Gordon is one of the good ones. Yes, the dialog is typically cartoonish (because many serials were based on comic strips), but I wonder how much of it has to do with the style of acting and writing back in the '30s. I'm sure the dialog and acting in Public Enemy and Gone With the Wind wouldn't fly today, but they work if looked at in their historical context.
And, I may be the only one, but if I could choose between Natalie now or Jean Rogers as she was in the '30s (young and alive . . . heh), I'd take Jean. :D
htf_images_smilies_yum.gif

The picture doesn't do her justice.

Adam_S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam_S
THanks Ron for a great review and providing the best and most screenshots of any dvd reviewer :D
God Lord I'm not if I'm more anxious for November 11 or December 17
Adam

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
It's sort of funny how your perspective on a film
changes the more you see it. Many of you may
remember that I had posted one of the very first
internet reviews of Attack Of The Clones.
In that review I stated that Clones was "the
Empire Strikes Back of this new saga" and "it goes
back to the formula that made everyone fall in love
with the series in the first place."

While all of that may be true, time and repeated
viewing have made me feel lesser of this film.
This is definitely true Ron. That’s why I always say to myself that you can never truly review or measure the strength of a movie with the first viewing. Yes watching AOTC gets harder with more viewings and that’s due to bad dialog and acting.

Do you remember that one of your old moderators in reply to your movie review months ago said: “I think Ron couldn’t let himself to write two negative reviews in a row for Star Wars!” or something like that! I think it sums it up well. We didn’t want to believe! I think we all deep in heart wanted to believe that this was all planed. That every thing would be different with Episode II. I’m afraid that’s all there is! Star Wars is over (at least for me) and we are going to get more of the same with Episode III. Dare I say that I’m not excited at all for Episode III.

oscar_merkx

Senior HTF Member
Ron great review as always.
"From Puppets to Pixels: Digital Characters in Episode II," , this is my favorite docu that I want to watch just like the other short ones.
The three rotating menus will be fun to watch as well.
Ofcourse the movie itself is great to watch as well.
Like Jacob mentioned I am also looking forward to the Spidey dvd as I grew up on the comics.
With regards to the bad acting that they are very much like Flash Gordon, I saw these dvds laying about at my local HMV here is Glasgow, so looks like I will be buyin these.
Thanks to Jacob and Patrick for the gentle persuasion for this.
Both articles from the Cannes Film Festival & Guardian I thoroughly enjoyed reading again.
here is to more Star Wars
:D

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
While TPM fell in its rating with each viewing I gave it, AOTC remained a pretty solid bit of entertainment for me. Obviously I will be buying it, though Spidey and FOTR EE are far ahead in my excitement-to-own list. AOTC will get its fair share of spins in the HT.

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
Guys, thanks for the kind words about the
review.
Well, enough of this arrogant "my opinion is better, or rules over yours." type stuff. It's all opinion, mine isn't better than yours and yours isn't better than mine.
Thank You.
Take this type of discussion to the Movies area.
It's getting tiring to read.
This thread should remain on-topic about the review.

Terrell

Senior HTF Member
It would have to be like TPM case. I can't see them changing, since it seems they made the DVD itself in the same vein as TPM. There's no way it's a double keepcase, even though I wish both were.

Frank Kanyak

Stunt Coordinator
Ron, in your professional opinion how low(db) did Jango Fett's charges go? I remember thinking to myself in the theaters I can't wait until I listen to this on my system.

Patrick Larkin

Screenwriter
Ron, in your professional opinion how low(db) did Jango Fett's charges go? I remember thinking to myself in the theaters I can't wait until I listen to this on my system.
Thank you. I posted the same question at the beginning of Page 2. Seems to have gotten lost in the off topic posts that followed.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks