What's new

DVD Review HTF REVIEW: Star Trek: Voyager - The Complete First Season (1 Viewer)

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member

Excellent point and I think you may have hit why I like Deep Space Nine but no other Star Trek. I have never been able to quite pin down why I don't like any of the other Star Trek's but I think you just nailed it for me. It was the only Trek where the characters grew and changed and was "good TV" whether it was Star Trek or not. The others require you to be somewhat of a "Star Trek" fan to get into and I have tried to like them all.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member

Thanks, it will make things easier! I haven't officially started the Voyager cover art thread yet, the preview was in the DS9 thread.

Ric

Blu

Screenwriter
I don't see any preorder sets for Voyager on Amazon outside of the first season.

If they are going to gauge the following seasons on how well season 1 sells I doubt if they will get the other seasons out there. Full price for 15 episodes is insane.
In a few weeks you could probably pick it up on Ebay for a fraction of the price.

Frank@N

Screenwriter

I don't want to open an unpleasant can of worms..but I have this vague memory that it was standard practice on ST (and other shows, no doubt) to 'pad' female actors.

I vaguely remember reading that Genevieve Bujold refused.

Not sure, it was a long time ago.

Frank@N

Screenwriter

Not sure how many episodes S2 had, but maybe they should have combined S1 & S2, just to get things started on a positive note.

Short seasons at full price suck, but that didn't stop HBO from pushing out 'Sex and the City' S5 with only 2 discs at full price either.

Vote with your wallet, let 'em rot on the shelves.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
Though I do want to see the Bujold stuff (she sure did change from the Movie Earthquake) and the behinds the scenes interviews, I think I'll wait to buy them due to Paramounts overly high prices. This isnt TNG after all and I think that they will find that a lot of people just cant afford $700-$800.00 a year for each Trek show that is released.
Voyager's pilot was great stuff but so was Enterprise's and it seems after a great premise is introduced in the Trek Universe these days, they dont follow through with good plots and "Character Development."
Ashame but thats the way things go.
And for the high price, couldnt they have made some durable packaging?

Simon Massey

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Simon Massey
I liked DVDFiles review - it more or less exactly how I got to watching Voyager and really enjoying it. I had never seen TNG before or DS9, and the Original Series was something I had seen when I was young, but I did know the Trek movies. I bought a cheap copy of the Voyager pilot and was hooked. I know a lot don't like the character, but it was Mulgrew's character and performance that I enjoyed the most about the show throughout.

Mulgrew has talked about her approach to the character before and how she had to fight to allow the character to not just be a stoic authority figure so that she could project some "warmth" into her performance. I think she felt it took her about 3 seasons to get that to the level she was comfortable with.

Then I saw DS9 and really got hooked. Now I am struggling to get through TNG (they seem to be re-treads of a lot of Voyager shows :) )

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
I will definitely not get the Voyager. They are too expensive. I got all the TNG and all the DS9 and I have heard that Voyager is just a rip off of the TNG stories.

I was surprised with the DVDFile’s positive review! I guess those who like Voyager are those who have never seen Star Trek!

Greg S

Supporting Actor

Wow pretty harsh statement there Sam.

Just for the record I have seen most of the Star Trek stuff (All the movies, TNNG, DS9 and about 75% of the original series -- none of the animated stuff and about 10% Enterprise (can't stand this one)) and I LIKE Voyager, plain & simple.

Nuff said.

Greg

Frank@N

Screenwriter
Despite the price issues with Voyager S1, seems like prices are crashing on many other ST products.

Walked into BB yesterday, found ST5 SE for $13.95 and ST6 SE for $14.95.

Nemesis also hasn't held much value in the used market.

It can be found for $9.99 almost anywhere (Electronic Boutique and Gamestop).

Sam Davatchi

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
SamD
I’m not trying to be harsh. I personally have no opinion on Voyager since I have not seen it. I just try to conclude. Trek people say Voyager is weak and a copy of TNG. People who enjoy Voyager, have not seen TNG, so I conclude that if you have seen TNG you don’t need Voyager! :D

Bill Williams

Screenwriter

That $129/$109/$99 price tag is waaaaaaaaaay too steep for my pocketbook. Unless Paramount learns its lesson on how not to slap a Star Trek product out there and jack up the price tag all the time, this is one series I will most likely NOT be getting. I'll just stick with my VHS tapes.

Frank@N

Screenwriter

Voyager has been bashed by fans and non-fans, but let's make an important distinction: alot of people actually *watched* Voyager despite feeling the show could have been better.

The show did actually run for seven seasons, if I'm not mistaken.

Compare that to Enterprise, which dropped off the radar for most people a long time ago.

Guess I'm saying, it wasn't the worst ST show and I wouldn't mind having the DVDs but cost vs. value is a big issue.

The show had it's moments (like when the Doctor 'borrowed' 7of9's body), but not quite enough moments to make it a slam-dunk show.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member

Yeah, a lot of fans act as though the series was a total bomb. I recall many folks opining that there was no audience for the DVDs and no reason to put out Voyager on DVD because no one would want it! Shows don't stay on the air for seven years if no one likes them, and Voyager clearly has its audience. My best friend liked TNG but he loved Voyager. (He didn't care for DS9.)

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks