What's new

HTF REVIEW: "Star Trek: The Next Generation" Season Two (with screenshots) (1 Viewer)

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
To my surprise I came home today and my Season 2 was sitting on the door step 8 days early. Ill let you guys know my thoughts on the set in a few days, but i can tell you a few of my fav TNG episodes are in this set.

capt

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
I'm thrilled that this set will be coming in just a few weeks. I really have enjoyed season 1.

I still wish they'd provide the R2 packaging, especially since pricing didn't seem to come out the way Paramount intended. I'll be using fan art on 7-disc keepcases instead. Just need to find Fan Art that I like the best.

Thanks for the fast turnaround. I can't wait to have all of my favorite Star Trek on DVD.

Ron : Excellent and thorough review. I hope we see 5 more from you on this series.

John Knowles

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John
I'm happy they're getting these out so quickly and with decent quality (I think season one looked as good as it could), but I really wish they'd included the episode trailers...I'd have given up one of the featurettes to get them...

PhilipG

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
PhilipG
I still wish they'd provide the R2 packaging
I had a good look at the R2 packaging of season 1 recently, and let me tell you: it's not all that. It may look swish in the publicity photos, but holding the plastic packaging in my hands, it feels cheap and nasty.

Of course, I dislike the R1 packaging too. I don't watch all the episodes at once (it's really not possible with TNG season one), so every time I need a disc I need to unfold several of the cardboard sleeves, and it's a chore, and invariably that booklet falls out every time... Keepcases are my preferred solution. I hope Paramount considers them for DS9.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Ric,

I'm actually quite pleased with your cover art. I'm nearly decided on using it. I'm checking though, to see if I can find a similar design with the cast photo rather than the "big giant head" thing. I doubt I'll find it, and I like everything else about yours enough that I'll end up using yours. It is quite a handsome set.

Ric Easton

Senior HTF Member
Does anyone know the real deal with the Dr. Crusher, Dr. Pulaski thing? Why was McFadden let go at the end of season one, and why did they hire her back in season 3? I found it odd that they spent all this time telling us about her and the Captain's history and then just wrote her off the show... And the thing that bothered me the most was Wesley stayed!

Then we get Pulaski for one year...Were they unhappy with Muldaur? Was she with them? Was Pulaski always supposed to be a temp thing? Why wasn't she in the opening credits? What was the deal with "Special Appearance by Diana Muldaur"?

I don't think I ever heard the true story behind all this. There must be someone that knows the real deal!

-Ric

CaptDS9E

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joey
Lately in ST magazine every other month they do a review of each season since the DVD sets are coming out. They mention in the brand new one that they wanted to take Bev Crusher off the ship so wesley would be without his mother. They brought in Polaski but it was a total failure for the most part, so they were able to try very hard and lure McFadden back. They even mention that Sirtis was afraid that troi was going to get the boot,because first Yar was killed off (even though she wanted to leave the show), and then they took crusher off

capt

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
The pregnancy was brought up before. She wasn't pregnant until season 4, and it was hidden under her flowing medical robes and in angled shots. As I recall, she already had the bun in the oven when they shot "Best Of Both Worlds Part 2".
Let's settle the preganancy issue. Here are screen shots from the fifth Season 4 episode, "Remember Me", which originally aired on 10/22/1990:
179117.jpg

179067.jpg

Okay?
Hey, even leading up to that, you see specially arranged shots like this one from S4 Ep. 3, "Brothers":
177004.jpg

Britton

Screenwriter
Here's 5 min of printing out with an old ribbon and by piecing 8x11 paper together yields with Ric's Covers
Hey Dave, is that a copy of Batman: The 10-cent Adventure underneath the CD which the Next Generation case is resting on?

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member
The story that I heard regarding Beverly's departure had to do partly with the Writer's Strike which delayed the start of production on Season 2, and partly with the fact that Crusher's character was perceived as not quite working out. (The hoped-for chemistry between Picard and Crusher wasn't there during Season 1.)

Gates saw an opportunity to do some stage work in London that was guaranteed, and her agent used the delayed start to Season 2 as an excuse to get her out of her contract.

At least, that's the story that I was told.

John Berggren

Senior HTF Member
Gates was not pregnant for season 2. She was removed to let Wesley shine and because the chemistry "wasn't right" between her and Picard. I'll always disagree with that. They ought to have ended up together.

Hey Dave, is that a copy of Batman: The 10-cent Adventure underneath the CD which the Next Generation case is resting on?
That's what I see too. I have one guess who did it, but I'm not confident I'm right.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
You eagle eyed guys are absolutely correct that's indeed the "10 cent Adventure"

Steven_J_H

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steven
Just picked up my season 2 last night a week early. Enjoyed the supplements. Much better than the first set. It's great having clerks in the store putting stuff out early. They also did it with season 1. YES!!!;)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Guys-

Does anyone know if Best Buy is selling the season 2 Box set with specific Best Buy only extras as they did for the first box set that included the CD ROM?

Thanks.

Nelson

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
Yes; read my Weekly Roundup for details and pictures of the free item. Click on the box with my face on it in my signature, and then choose the "Weekly Roundup 5/7" thread in the section list that comes up. Pics and info are there.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
David-

Thanks for the link to your posting. I would never have thought to look under the coupons and bargins section! I've seen your posting before but not there.

Great job and service you do for the membership here.

Thanks, Nelson

Tom Rhea

Second Unit
Does anyone know if Best Buy is selling the season 2 Box set with specific Best Buy only extras as they did for the first box set that included the CD ROM?
If that's a Best Buy only extra, then why did the set I bought at Media Play have it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks