What's new

HTF REVIEW: Star Trek - The Complete First Season (1 Viewer)

Jay Pennington

Screenwriter
When the sets were announced I put my 34 TOS DVDs (never finished getting all 40) up on eBay and got over $400 for them. So in the end I'll have gained the new bonus material, the episodes I was missing before, and cash left over. No complaints here. ;)

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
Jay: good job that's the way to have done it. I know a few people who also did that. For the people who still have there 40 discs i wonder if it's a viable option still though. I guess being so close to release date of the season sets your probably going to get alot less now. But hey on ebay you never know there are probably a lot of people who still don't know about the upcoming season sets so it might be worth a shot.

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member

I've decided to just hand out the old sets to relatives and friends as Birthday and Christmas gifts (at least the ones that are "casual" Star Trek fans.) I figure this will probably save me time and money over the next few years or so!

Roger_R

Second Unit
No, it's called living in Norway. We've had 4 seasons of TNG and 2 seasons of Voyager on the TV. That's all. I would have had to download TOS if I wanted to watch it. I'm not gonna buy a TV-series with only 2 eps on each DVD. That's what stopped me from getting anything TV-related on VHS.

TedD

Supporting Actor

This sort of jitter problem tends to be obscured by the interlaced monitors used in telecine and post production bays.

Unfortunately, for those of us with high quality progressive scan displays, the problem is all too obvious and sometimes renders the DVD unwatchable.

This problem is present in the entire 2nd half of the Paramount DVD "Days Of Thunder" and makes it unwatchable on my system.

Ted

mark*p

Auditioning
My set has been ordered from Amazon. I am looking forward to it. I am old enough to have watched it on TV when it was on TV ... lol

DimitrisKiminas

Auditioning
Seems like Regions 2 & 4 have 2 extra featuretes included in their extras disk. I think these are only available in Region 1 if you buy the sets from a certain store -- and then only on an extra disk.

Here's the extra featuretes' description taken from a review at Michaeldvd.com.au :

"Featurette - “Kiss & Tell: Romance In The 23rd Century” (8:18) A look at all the 60s sex kittens cast in Star Trek: The Original Series, including recollections by cast and crew.

Trivia Quiz - “Trekker Connections” (3:41) A series of questions for fans looking for 4 degrees of separation between various actors and guest stars on Star Trek between the movies and the various series and greater Hollywood."

Dimitris

Aryn Leroux

Screenwriter
I wouldn't worry about the bonus discs. Most of them have been pretty crappy anyway + is it really worth the extra $25 for it anyway ? I guess it is to some but basically the bonus disc is featurettes that didnt make the set to begin with.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member

Let's hope they don't chop the top/bottom off to please high-def joe sixpack.

Since the new discs don't have the original soundtrack, I'm definitely sticking with my single discs (bought dirt cheap). There's not enough of an upgrade here for me to drop $250 for episodes I already own.

Daron

Agent
I have e-mailed Bill Hunt at thedigitalbits.com with as much information on the mastering errors that I could find and/or recall. As he said, he has an inside source at Paramount that could enlighten us on all this, so be sure to keep an eye on his website or this forum for details!

Britton

Screenwriter
Cool news Daron! I look forward to whatever Bill can dredge up. However, I think I'll be in the boat to buy this one since the only episodes I have on DVD now are "Turnabout Intruder" and both versions of "The Cage".

Daron

Agent
I agree, Britton! I will also be in line to buy these sets. Despite the fact I hope Paramount fixes the mastering errors, I haven't lost sight of the fact that these DVDs absolutely look and sound awesome! Paramount and the DVD producers did a great job. The end result is a very positive experience for me.

Dan Lindley

Second Unit
I can't wait to buy these season sets!!! For me and my kids!! However, I really want to know if the three-season pack has anything extra worth waiting for. If not, it's easier to spread it out...

Does anyone know if we might get detail on this before season 1 comes out?

Great review and discussion. Worthy of TOS!

D

Bill Hunt

Insider
I should have all the responses in the next day or two from the studio. They've been very quick to look into this.

Dave Farley

Second Unit
I haven't had any luck finding out if the series set available in December will be anything more than the three season sets shrink-wrapped together or something better than that. I checked at Best Buy when I was there last and they had no idea if those three bonus DVDs will be repackaged with the complete series set in December.

Scott Kimball

Screenwriter
I don't expect the 3-season set to have additional material, but that's just a gut feeling.

I also wouldn't expect news on specs for another month or more.

-Scott

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks